Menu

How to teach kinds of writing: descriptive, persuasive, c/c, expository

We finished our first year with IEW this year using Themed Writing: Early American History. My kids learned a lot! I really want to use next year to let them practice the skills they learned this year by using a more interest-driven approach within history, science, and generic topics of interest.

I know I can re-use ideas from IEW, but I'm also looking for a guide that will help us practice different kinds of writing: descriptive, persuasive, compare-contrast, as well as expository. IEW didn't really teach "kinds" of writing. My goal is to have them ready whenever they are asked to write a certain kind of essay or report.

I'm looking for a guide as opposed to a text-book that teaches writing.

As an example, if we wanted to write about salt water vs. fresh water creatures, we would look at our guide for compare/contrast reports. It would give us a "How-To" about writing this kind of paragraph/report and step us through the process of writing. Likewise, we could look up whichever kind of writing is most appropriate for what we're trying to communicate.

This would be for jr. high grades: approximately 6th-8th.

Any suggestions? For anyone also looking for something along this line, I've found Create Press writing book volume 2 does what I'm talking about, but I'm looking for something as a follow-up.

Thanks!

Some of SWB lectures walk you through the process. There is the "A plan for teaching writing" divided into the various stages. Also Writing without Fear and Literary Analysis. I have enjoyed her lectures, and while most of the info in the book, hearing the lecture and hearing her answer the audiences questions really made it more concrete.

Susan is really easy to listen too, she has a quick wit so she is not just reiterating what she wrote, it truly adds personality to the concepts. She's really fun.

I really like the handbooks from Write Source. You can see them here at Rainbow resource: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1274278379-1608951&subject=7&category=1522. They can be expensive new although I did notice they had some older additions bargain priced. I got mine at Paperback swap. I checked PBS and they do have several available. You want the handbooks - not the skills books though. http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/browser.php?s_type=a&k=write+source&ti=&a=&g1=&b[]=Paperback&b[]=Hardcover&b[]=Audio+CD&b[]=Audio+Cassette&pd_type=e&pd=&r=n&sby=&oby=ASC&ts=&saved_name=

While written for a classroom, we really enjoyed the Scholastic 4-book series on writing: Descriptive Writing; Narrative Writing; Expository Writing; Persuasive Writing. We were able to pick-and-choose our way through each, completing one book per quarter. We read the informational bits together and then did whatever of the exercises and writing assignments worked for us. You could easily use this series as a supplement to a "spine" writing program either for variety; more depth/time spent on a specific type of writing; or just as a "go-to" resources for more writing ideas. The books are geared for grades 5-8, and have lots of clever and interesting exercises and assignment ideas.

Descriptive Writing

Narrative Writing

Persuasive Writing

Expository Writing

While out-of-print, it looks like all of the above are still available new through used booksellers for $5-10 each -- OR -- as used books for $1 - $1.50 (one was $5). And while I'm not absolutely sure, this book looks like it may be an abridged compilation of the above 4 books, as it is by the same author: 100 Writing Lessons: Narrative Descriptive Expository Persuasive: Ready-to-Use Lessons to Help Students Become Strong Writers and Succeed on the Tests (by Tara McCarthy)

And finally, you can try google searches to come up with writing ideas for the various types of writing (i.e.: "descriptive writing"). You can also add all kids of other phrases for additional searches (i.e.: "prompts"; "lesson plans"; "activities"; "worksheets"; "rubric"; etc.) -- or just go with a simple search for the type of writing and see what you come up with.

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'll second the recommendation for Write Source and related titles like Writer's Inc.

TOG's Writing Aids may be what you are looking for. WA is a handbook for the teacher which explains each type of writing and enables you to teach the student. I mention this because each type you listed is specifically addressed in WA. The writing assignments included are for levels 1 - 12. There is a chart at the front that lists the appropriate age range for each assignment. In addition to the manual, WA comes with a CD Rom which enables you to print out a teaching sheet for your student. This sheet has less information than the teacher's manual, and is written to the student. The CDRom also includes grading explanations and rubrics for many assignments. Graphic Organizers can also be printed from the CDRom. You do not need to use TOG to benefit from WA, but the TOG manuals contain topics for writing. If you are just using WA, you will need to come up with topics on your own.

I asked this question on the IEW Yahoo Group. Here's the response I got back. Thought it might help.

All the different types of writing are encompassed in the units.

Unit 3: narrative

Unit 4/6: expository

Unit 7/8: persuasive, compare/contrast, letter, cause/effect, literary

analysis‹most of the essay types including term paper

Unit 9: critique (book report)

Once your student knows all the units, it is only a matter of deciding which

unit and what topics will answer the prompt. The TWSS does have a specific

persuasive method. For all the others, you can easily google the kind (e.g.

Compare/contrast) and get ideas for what to use for topics, but use IEW

methods for creating the outline and writing.

::sigh:: Please ignore my post above.

So sorry, I did not carefully read your original post. The resources I listed are ideas for exercises and writing assignments to practice the various types of writing -- NOT what you were asking for, which sounds more like a resource, or checklist or 1-page "how to" to remind yourselves of what to do or what to be thinking about as you write in the various forms of writing.