Menu

NEW! Classical Acts and Facts Science Cards

Aloha2U

We just received some of the NEW! Classical Acts and Facts Science Cards (from Classical Conversations) in the mail today, and I just wanted to share w/everyone how great these look... seems like no one has mentioned them here yet. They'd be an awesome resource even if you're not involved in a CC community.

I'm really looking forward to using them!

:thumbup:

Is there a sample on their website? I can see the small photo, but I can't tell the type of info that's provided on each side of the card?

Can you share a little more info about what exactly is included on the front & back of a card?

Sounds like a neat resource. Thanks for mentioning it. :001_smile:

Jealous!!! Those look awesome. Are they the same idea as the history/Bible VP cards?

YES!!!

Is there a sample on their website? I can see the small photo, but I can't tell the type of info that's provided on each side of the card?

Can you share a little more info about what exactly is included on the front & back of a card?

Sounds like a neat resource. Thanks for mentioning it. :001_smile:

You're welcome!

I think the visuals would be much more helpful and I don't have much time right now, so I'll have to get back to you on this. I'll try to locate a pdf of the science card samples that I remember seeing somewhere. I hope it still exists. :confused:

I just received mine in the mail. They are very similar in size to the VP timeline cards. On the front is a large color photograph with a short title.

Here's an example of the card that corresponds to Cycle 2 Week 3...

The front shows a grizzly bear in rapid water trying to eat a fish. The title says "The Food Chain The Flow of Energy from One Organism to Another."

The back has the CC science memory "What are some part of the food chain? Some parts of the food chain are producers, consumers, and decomposers."

Next is four paragraphs which goes into more detail about the memory work.

Each card is set up very similarly to this one with about the same amount of information. It seems to be written at a mid-level reading level - not too hard, but definitely not elementary at all.

I think my kids will enjoy using them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been given permission to share the Science Card samples PDF, but it's too big to attach here. If anyone wants to see it, please let me know (provide your email address) and I'll attach it to an email.

:001_smile: Melissa

I've been given permission to share the Science Card samples PDF, but it's too big to attach here. If anyone wants to see it, please let me know (provide your email address) and I'll attach it to an email.

:001_smile: Melissa

Oh you know I want it.

They weren't on sale at the practicum I just attended and I personally haven't heard of or foresee them going on sale anytime soon - especially since they are quite NEW products (just released at the end of May) - but the CC Bookstore may tell you something entirely different if you contact them. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

They were on sale when they first were released. However, I just bought mine at Practicum and they were not. You only need 1 set for this year (Ecology, Astronomy and Physics) and then each year the Scientists packet is used. So you wouldn't have to buy all 4 sets at once if you didn't want to spend the money. They are really nicely made....even better quality than timeline cards with being laminated. They also go perfectly with the science work each week with extra info. I'm excited to use them for next year.

They were on sale when they first were released. However, I just bought mine at Practicum and they were not. You only need 1 set for this year (Ecology, Astronomy and Physics) and then each year the Scientists packet is used. So you wouldn't have to buy all 4 sets at once if you didn't want to spend the money. They are really nicely made....even better quality than timeline cards with being laminated. They also go perfectly with the science work each week with extra info. I'm excited to use them for next year.

• 2 years later...

I am not a CC member, and these (Science set) are some of the best investments in our homeschooling library.

I bought the whole set. I used the set mentioned above for our science this year. We read and memorized about a card per week (sometimes we didn't get to a new card for a specific week, but that was the general plan). I collected books from the local libraries and from our own stash to go with the theme/topic on each card. Sometimes I used the question/answer on the back as copy work. Sometimes my oldest had to read them independently and then narrate what she learned or write a summary.

The younger 2 kids usually listened with some understanding of the information parts, but I made sure to get books more on their listening/learning level.

I can say that we will for sure continue to use these cards throughout our homeschooling time. I don't have any of the history sets yet, but I plan on getting them.