Menu

I am going "Waldorfy" again!

happyWImom

Looking back over the past year or so, I figured out that much of what I was doing had a Waldorf "bent" to it. And, when we did things that way, not only did my dc love it, they also really learned something-yeah!

So, for next year, I'm going to use OM as a loose guide, possibly even combining years, and I'm going to try doing my own lesson blocks. Which I was basically doing some of this year, I just didn't realize it! I have my art supplies, I have my Waldorf guides, I've got lots and lots of Waldorf recommended books, and we are psyched! Today, as she got out her main lesson book, and started to draw & write her nouns in it, dd said "I love school!":party: I'm not going to worry about doing what I think we are supposed to do, based on what ps does. I want my dc to be outside as much as possible, learning about nature, I want them to learn to cook, to draw and paint and do crafts, I want dc to learn (and me) to knit, sew and do needlefelting. I want them to look back and think "Wow, homeschooling was the best, and I want to do that with my kids!"

Can you tell I'm on my homeschool "high" right now? It may all change by tomorrow, but I'm enjoying the feeling today.:D

Waldorf is a holistic curriculum/approach that uses a lot of art, fairy tales, rhythm, etc. Oak Meadow is loosely based on it, especially in the early grades.

From an article on Waldorf...

"Waldorf schools offer a developmentally appropriate, balanced approach to education that integrates the arts and academics for children from preschool through twelfth grade. It encourages the development of each child's sense of truth, beauty, and goodness, and provides an antidote to violence, alienation, and cynicism. The aim of the education is to inspire in each student a lifelong love of learning, and to enable them to fully develop their unique capacities...

For the Waldorf student, music, dance, and theater, writing, literature, legends and myths are not simply subjects to be read about, ingested and tested. They are experienced. Through these experiences, Waldorf students cultivate a lifelong love of learning as well as the intellectual, emotional, physical and spiritual capacities to be individuals certain of their paths and to be of service to the world."

Here are a few links...

Why Waldorf Works

Waldorf Answers

Educational Philosophy at Oak Meadow

I did use fairy tale type stories in the earlier years, and we still do incorporate some, but I am adding a lot of Christian content to our lessons also.

I like the CM concept of living books, so many of the books we read, we "narrate" by drawing a picture about in the MLB's and then adding a sentence or paragraph summary.

So when I say I'm going Waldorfy, I mean incorporating much of the ideas from Waldorf into our lessons.:001_smile: I do still love FLL & WWE, so we'll keep using those, and when we do SOTW 2, I'll use it in a Waldorf type way. (If that makes sense)

Waldorf is a holistic curriculum/approach that uses a lot of art, fairy tales, rhythm, etc. Oak Meadow is loosely based on it, especially in the early grades.

From an article on Waldorf...

"Waldorf schools offer a developmentally appropriate, balanced approach to education that integrates the arts and academics for children from preschool through twelfth grade. It encourages the development of each child's sense of truth, beauty, and goodness, and provides an antidote to violence, alienation, and cynicism. The aim of the education is to inspire in each student a lifelong love of learning, and to enable them to fully develop their unique capacities...

For the Waldorf student, music, dance, and theater, writing, literature, legends and myths are not simply subjects to be read about, ingested and tested. They are experienced. Through these experiences, Waldorf students cultivate a lifelong love of learning as well as the intellectual, emotional, physical and spiritual capacities to be individuals certain of their paths and to be of service to the world."

Here are a few links...

Why Waldorf Works

Waldorf Answers

Educational Philosophy at Oak Meadow

Thank you!!! Very interesting! I am going to re-read some of those links better when I have more time!

I would love to do Oak Meadow but the emphasis on American history puts me off (we live in the UK). I'd also do my own maths and language arts and so I don't know if it's worth spending that much on a curriculum that won't be used to its full potential. I have the Heart of Learning which is great but I would love to incorporate waldorf into our routine. Which guides would you recommend? We aren't so hooked up on fairy tales and my kids have never been into imaginary play - but I wish they would.

:lurk5:

I would love to do Oak Meadow but the emphasis on American history puts me off (we live in the UK). I'd also do my own maths and language arts and so I don't know if it's worth spending that much on a curriculum that won't be used to its full potential. I have the Heart of Learning which is great but I would love to incorporate waldorf into our routine. Which guides would you recommend? We aren't so hooked up on fairy tales and my kids have never been into imaginary play - but I wish they would.

:lurk5:

I've been lucky in buying the guides used, otherwise I wouldn't do it!:001_smile:

We used part of OM 2 grade, but didn't finish, and both my dc are reading well and are above much of what is in the guide, but... I want to use some of the stories, craft ideas, and the way the teach poetry and LA using the main lesson books. So, I'm going to be combining OM 2 & 3, and I was able to find a 4th grade at a great price.

I like doing the lesson "blocks", because it's basically unit studies, which is what we do now.

I belong to the yahoo group waldorfhomeeducators, which is a terrific place for free resources. If you are interested, join it, then go to the files section, and there is a wealth of info that can help you plan your own Waldorf curriculum. I still don't feel 100 percent comfortable doing it all on my own, which is why I use OM along with what I'm doing.

Hope this makes sense to you.

I've been lucky in buying the guides used, otherwise I wouldn't do it!:001_smile:

We used part of OM 2 grade, but didn't finish, and both my dc are reading well and are above much of what is in the guide, but... I want to use some of the stories, craft ideas, and the way the teach poetry and LA using the main lesson books. So, I'm going to be combining OM 2 & 3, and I was able to find a 4th grade at a great price.

I like doing the lesson "blocks", because it's basically unit studies, which is what we do now.

I belong to the yahoo group waldorfhomeeducators, which is a terrific place for free resources. If you are interested, join it, then go to the files section, and there is a wealth of info that can help you plan your own Waldorf curriculum. I still don't feel 100 percent comfortable doing it all on my own, which is why I use OM along with what I'm doing.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks I'll take a look. I should have said that I managed to buy OM 1 and 3 used but like you say it's quite light in many areas. OM 4 I hear is a bit more vigorous. I also have to take into account shipping costs to the UK.

The other thing about OM was that I prefer to combine science for my kids (9, 7 and 4) rather than teach them separately - how do you do that with multiple kids?

x

Thanks I'll take a look. I should have said that I managed to buy OM 1 and 3 used but like you say it's quite light in many areas. OM 4 I hear is a bit more vigorous. I also have to take into account shipping costs to the UK.

The other thing about OM was that I prefer to combine science for my kids (9, 7 and 4) rather than teach them separately - how do you do that with multiple kids?

x

Luckily, mine aren't a full 2 years apart, so I'm able to do them together for the most part. I don't have my ds do all of the writing, and I let him do his own thing with the MLB's. He listens to the stories, reads, and with science I let him "tag along". I would really check out the Waldorf yahoo group, and the OM yahoo group, because I know they do get into how to teach multiple ages there.

There's also a very helpful Oak Meadow social group here! Just go to Community--- Social Groups--- Oak Meadow.

I would love to do Oak Meadow but the emphasis on American history puts me off (we live in the UK).

I know one person on here who uses OM but lives in Canada. She was able to adapt OM 4 to suit her needs, and then is using OM 6 over two years, skipping OM 5.

I haven't decided yet quite how to handle this with my two next year, who will be in 2nd and 4th. My Option A would be to do both sciences, each one afternoon a week. Option B would be to combine the kids in something else, like using BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding).

Edited by momto2Cs

There's also a very helpful Oak Meadow social group here! Just go to Community--- Social Groups--- Oak Meadow.

I know one person on here who uses OM but lives in Canada. She was able to adapt OM 4 to suit her needs, and then is using OM 6 over two years, skipping OM 5.

I haven't decided yet quite how to handle this with my two next year, who will be in 2nd and 4th. My Option A would be to do both sciences, each one afternoon a week. Option B would be to combine the kids in something else, like using BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding).

I forgot about the OM group here! I just joined it today.:tongue_smilie: I was very happy to find it.

I would love to see your plans for your son when you know what you are doing. :)

Do you have a blog?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can barely use the computer!!!

Seriously, I am able to operate it, but anything out of the norm (posting photos, spreadsheets, etc..) is like a foreign language to me.

The reason I am laughing, is that I find everyone's blogs soooo helpful, and am constantly using them to give me ideas. And I'm constantly amazed by how creative and detailed people are with their blogs.

Back to your other question, I am lucky that my ds is an excellent reader, something he picked up while I was teaching dd. And, he loves to read, even more than she does. So, it makes teaching them together a lot easier than it could be. His writing isn't great, but it's getting better, and I haven't done formal grammar with him, but he hears me when I do FLL with dd, so again, he's picked up a lot.

I'll send you a pm with more info.

I forgot about the OM group here! I just joined it today.:tongue_smilie: I was very happy to find it.

I thought you were already in our group! :ohmy: I am glad you found it.

Your plans sound lovely; I would like to hear more about them as well.

Looking back over the past year or so, I figured out that much of what I was doing had a Waldorf "bent" to it. And, when we did things that way, not only did my dc love it, they also really learned something-yeah!

So, for next year, I'm going to use OM as a loose guide, possibly even combining years, and I'm going to try doing my own lesson blocks. Which I was basically doing some of this year, I just didn't realize it! I have my art supplies, I have my Waldorf guides, I've got lots and lots of Waldorf recommended books, and we are psyched! Today, as she got out her main lesson book, and started to draw & write her nouns in it, dd said "I love school!":party: I'm not going to worry about doing what I think we are supposed to do, based on what ps does. I want my dc to be outside as much as possible, learning about nature, I want them to learn to cook, to draw and paint and do crafts, I want dc to learn (and me) to knit, sew and do needlefelting. I want them to look back and think "Wow, homeschooling was the best, and I want to do that with my kids!"

Can you tell I'm on my homeschool "high" right now? It may all change by tomorrow, but I'm enjoying the feeling today.:D

That sounds so good!

We're going to focus on our Waldorf books over summer break. Here are some of the books we want to get back into:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Eyes-Plants-Workbook-Observation/dp/186989085X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274160227&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/All-Year-Round-Lifeways-Druitt/dp/1869890477/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274160272&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Frances-Sewing-Eayre-Fryer/dp/0875885373/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274160304&sr=1-1

If you find something fabulous, please don't forget to share it with us. A classical structure is great, but for us.. Waldorf is the magic.

helena,

What do you think of the New Eyes for Plants book that you have linked?

I have looked at this before, but I can't figure out what age level it is meant for? Is it more of a book for adults?

Have you found it very useful? Easy to use?

Thanks!

I've been wanting to buy a bread book! How is it different that just a regular ol cookbook?

Is it seasonal? Do the breads actually taste good? :001_smile:

The last time we baked a loaf, it was Viking bread from SOTW.

Yuck

ETA: Ah ha! just saw the inside on Amazon. Love it!

Edited by helena

I've been wanting to buy a bread book! How is it different that just a regular ol cookbook?

Is it seasonal? Do the breads actually taste good? :001_smile:

The last time we baked a loaf, it was Viking bread from SOTW.

Yuck

ETA: Ah ha! just saw the inside on Amazon. Love it!

I don't remember what it shows on the Amazon samples, but I like how it has some stories to go along with the different types of bread, and there are lots of different types. I think it's a great book.:001_smile:

The new eyes for plants book is for 5th grade botany. I think you do botany and Roman history that year.

Also if anyone is looking for 2nd or 3rd grade ideas (and over the next year she should be putting up 4th grade ideas. Then try this blog:

http://naturenest.wordpress.com/

She usually has a few posts up every month about whatever main lesson block they are working on. She provides links, stories and lots of pictures. I printed out a whole bunch of ideas yesterday so that we can expand/enrich some of the topics that we will be doing over the next year with my 2nd/3rd grader.:001_smile:

helena,

What do you think of the New Eyes for Plants book that you have linked?

I have looked at this before, but I can't figure out what age level it is meant for? Is it more of a book for adults?

Have you found it very useful? Easy to use?

Thanks!

I bought this book mid year and got so inspired that I decided to put together a year of botany for next year. I read the beginning out loud and we did a few of the activities. It seem to be easy to use, not at all an adult only book. I plan to read it one small section at a time, because this type of book overwhelms me sometimes. To me it's kind of a trippy mix of (heavy) science and that "Waldorfy way of understanding things".

The title says it all: "A workbook for understanding and drawing plants". The book is full of beautiful drawings, and seems totally engaging.

My only worries are that we live in So Cal where the seasonal changes aren't the typical 4 seasons. Hopefully it won't be a problem that we're not a snow culture. I'm also wondering if I should start this book is Dec. since it starts with the winter season. That would throw me of though because I would be continuing through summer and the following fall.

I'm also not going to over think having access to the same trees and plants. If we can't find that particular tree bud, so be it, we'll find the next best thing.

I bought this book mid year and got so inspired that I decided to put together a year of botany for next year. I read the beginning out loud and we did a few of the activities. It seem to be easy to use, not at all an adult only book. I plan to read it one small section at a time, because this type of book overwhelms me sometimes. To me it's kind of a trippy mix of (heavy) science and that "Waldorfy way of understanding things".

The title says it all: "A workbook for understanding and drawing plants". The book is full of beautiful drawings, and seems totally engaging.

My only worries are that we live in So Cal where the seasonal changes aren't the typical 4 seasons. Hopefully it won't be a problem that we're not a snow culture. I'm also wondering if I should start this book is Dec. since it starts with the winter season. That would throw me of though because I would be continuing through summer and the following fall.

I'm also not going to over think having access to the same trees and plants. If we can't find that particular tree bud, so be it, we'll find the next best thing.

Thanks! I've considered that book several times. I am bumping it up the list to make sure I get it with our next order. I love it when a school book actually inspires rather than simply informs. We live in the south as well, so have had to adapt all sorts of curriculum that assume things like falling leaves, snow and gloves are a part of everyday life for the child. :D Maybe I should suggest that my dd take pictures of the local trees/flowers while she visits her grandparents up north this summer!

The new eyes for plants book is for 5th grade botany. I think you do botany and Roman history that year.

Also if anyone is looking for 2nd or 3rd grade ideas (and over the next year she should be putting up 4th grade ideas. Then try this blog:

http://naturenest.wordpress.com/

She usually has a few posts up every month about whatever main lesson block they are working on. She provides links, stories and lots of pictures. I printed out a whole bunch of ideas yesterday so that we can expand/enrich some of the topics that we will be doing over the next year with my 2nd/3rd grader.:001_smile:

Thanks so much for this! It is so helpful to be able to look at what someone else is doing, especially when there are pictures.