Menu

Selling to someone with one post on the boards

And if they pay by Paypal be sure that you send it only to a confirmed Paypal address AND that you have proof of delivery (although Paypal typically only requires the delivery confirmation, I'd probably spend the extra buck to require signature, but honestly, I'd do that on all sales not just low posting buyers). That way if they try to dispute the Paypal you have the proof Paypal typically wants for you to win the dispute.

If they pay by check I'd wait 10 days at least before shipping (be sure they're aware of that before hand) and I'd actually also contact my bank and be sure that the funds have CLEARED, not just been deposited into my bank account. If they don't clear on the other side (their account) then your bank will remove them from your account.

I'd never buy something from someone with such low posts, but selling you have most of the control.

When I am new on a board I always ask seller if they would like a reference... my ebay id (linked to same email address) or if they would like a reference from another board. I am sure a MOD on another board would send a reference... A buyer has never asked me to provide these, but I always ask at the beginning.

If it is a large purchase this might be an idea... ???

If it is a small purchase I usually take a chance... for some reason I don't think a scammer at after my copy of "history stories for children" or something like that... :lol:

In this case it is seller beware. Personally I wouldn't do it - esp. with the history of dealers on this board.

I'm not sure I understand? If she's selling, then doesn't she really have all the control? She'd get payment and be sure it clears before sending the product so the risk is really the buyer who has to send the money first?

Even if it is a dealer buying, they'll still have to pay her first, and if she waits for the check to clear, or uses Paypal and follows their rules about sending only to verified addresses and with proof of delivery, what is her risk?

I'm not sure I understand? If she's selling, then doesn't she really have all the control? She'd get payment and be sure it clears before sending the product so the risk is really the buyer who has to send the money first?

Even if it is a dealer buying, they'll still have to pay her first, and if she waits for the check to clear, or uses Paypal and follows their rules about sending only to verified addresses and with proof of delivery, what is her risk?

I agree, although I won't take checks. Bounced checks cost the seller money in bank fees.

ETA: I guess there's risk in the form of someone trying to make false claims after they receive the items. With only one post, they really have no relationship with this site or the people here, and could happily threaten to leave bad feedback, etc. That probably wouldn't prevent me from selling to them though.

Go through pay pal as goods not personal (there is No protection for personal payments). If you are concerned about fees there is a calculator just add them to you price and then get delivery confirmation, it is like 20 cents if you ship through pay pal. You can ask for a reference I know I offered for the book I just bought because my posts are low and I am really new to this board.

If the purchase price is a lot of money to you, I would insure the package and purchase delivery confirmation.

The question is whether you can easily afford to take the loss of the purchase price + postage, if it comes to that, no matter which payment method is accepted.

We have never had a buyer's check bounce, in 11 years of doing business, and roughly 1,100 checks received. (99.9% of our sales are credit card sales.) We always mail books the day they are ordered, and do not wait for checks to clear. Our customers are the general public.

I would not advise a private party seller to do that, however -- I advise you to wait until the check has cleared before mailing the book. A bounced check for us is a tiny percentage of sales no matter what the amount has been, but a bounced check for a private party can have a much bigger deleterious effect.

Edited by RoughCollie

A buyer can scam a seller through paypal by claiming the materials were not received or were not as described. Several people have posted that paypal returned their money to the buyer and they (the sellers) had no recourse in spite of having delivery confirmation. When I sold a large item that was paid for via paypal, I immediately transferred the money from paypal to my checking account so that by the time the buyer received the package, there'd be no money in my paypal account. Thankfully, she was honest and happy with the curriculum, so I had no problems. I was just nervous because of what I'd heard here and because it was a high-value item.

Paypal will side with a buyer if the goods are nit received so even if you have delivery confirmation if it does not arrive and the buyer disputes on pay pal then they can take the money thus why deliver confirmation is important and if you can't afford to refund then insurance. As for not described that is an option but pay pal only really sides with buyers on ebay.

I hope not too many are wary of selling to newer posters, it is the main reason I came to these boards. I have fb on a number of other boards and am always happy to share that information (same username on the other boards as well). This board has one of the better b/s/t homeschool materials sections I've seen and since I'm just now branching into needing much in curriculum for my kids, I'm on the hunt to get it at prices I can afford. :)

I hope not too many are wary of selling to newer posters, it is the main reason I came to these boards. I have fb on a number of other boards and am always happy to share that information (same username on the other boards as well). This board has one of the better b/s/t homeschool materials sections I've seen and since I'm just now branching into needing much in curriculum for my kids, I'm on the hunt to get it at prices I can afford. :)

I agree with all this. I don't have many posts, but I do purchase a good bit and have never had any problem. I also assume that no one has had a problem with me, or at least none that I'm aware of. This board has a great selection of used products and I love shopping here. I always use paypal and also always offer to pay extra to cover fees since I use a debit card. I'm very grateful for this board and it's used curriculum.