Menu

AAS as a phonics program?

Would AAS work as a phonics program also? I am looking for something to do with my ds after itchys alphabet in K and I am looking at AAS and Phonics Pathways. I know they are both widely used on here, so what do you think? Would AAS work? or should I continue looking into Phonics Pathway? Is Phonics Pathway multisensory?

Somebody on here had told me about all about reading, but at that time it was maybe jan or feb and the release date had seemed so far out I had forgot about it. Now that I think about it, I could go through itchys alphabet with him, then stick around starfall until that comes out. Thank you for reminding me of it!

Now those that use AAS, do you think this would be a good program? (based on AAS- I know its hard to predict that, but is AAS strong?) I am guessing if AAS is a good strong curriculum this would be also, correct?

I am really going to look into Recipe for Reading, that looks awesome from my quick look though! That is going to be researched for sure! Thank you! Have you used this? If you have what are your thoughts on it? Is there anything you do not like about it? Do you know if this can be made multisensory (or is it already?)

Thanks (sorry, so many questions!)

I have used the Beehive Reader along with AAS for my son who has struggled with reading, and he is doing great!!! I haven't really thought about it as a phonics program because we are just doing reading, spelling, handwriting etc., but it has really helped him with sounds and spelling and reading. I love it soooooo much.

Jackie

I use AAS, and love it. I was surprised with it. I actually emailed them to see if I needed a phonics program as well, as I was using OPGTR. I was told that AAS is phonics as well, nothing else needed, but that it fit will with OPGTR. I continued both. She just got her Beehive Reader, and is so proud. She earned the first story and read it outloud beautifully. I like using the OPGTR as it reinforces what AAS teaches, and AAS reinforces what OPGTR. The timing is pretty similar once you get through the alphabet sounds in OPGTR.

I am really going to look into Recipe for Reading, that looks awesome from my quick look though! That is going to be researched for sure! Thank you! Have you used this? If you have what are your thoughts on it? Is there anything you do not like about it? Do you know if this can be made multisensory (or is it already?)

Thanks (sorry, so many questions!)

I have only seen samples. It is multi-sensory. It is an Orton-Gillingham product. AAS is based on Orton-Gillingham methods. It looked like Recipe for Reading had the same rules. One thing that I liked about AAS was how simple the rules were. I know that in How to Teach Spelling they are harder to understand due to the length and wording. SWR also has the rules simplified, as does Phonics Road (and Phonics Road has them in song form!). So... simple wording of rules is something I would look for. The Orton-Gillingham people recommend that you start with Sensational Strategies and then go on to RfR from there, but I think it may be possible to start with RfR. I will look again.

I've ended up using AAS and ETC as phonics for my dd7. It was somewhat by accident--approaches to reading that were not strictly phonics based were not working for her, and we didn't see much progress until we started AAS when she was 6.5. Based on this experience I'm a huge fan of OG multisensory programs and controlled readers (which AAS has up to level 2, at least!).

I have Recipe for Reading and occasionally use it to add ideas to AAS, but that's very rare. AAS is the most teacher-friendly program and has given us great results. AAS comes with a word cards, tiles, etc, but with RfR you'd need to make manipulatives and visuals to use. I appreciate that RfR is an inexpensive OG approach, but there are typos in the book and it isn't as clearly laid out as AAS. Also, while the RfR workbooks are good, ETC is better, so we usually stick with ETC. AAS and ETC work well together--I started introducing topics with AAS then giving corresponding ETC pages for practice, but dd's doing so well now that she's working in sequence for both programs.

As another poster said, AAS for phonics might be too slow-paced for some. However, since my daughter was developing some bad guessing habits with her reading, I haven't minded slowing the pace to get her phonics really well grounded and give her a little more time to develop. At 7.5 she is making huge strides that I suspect might not have been possible for her earlier. Before age 7 she seemed to need lots of repetition and we camped out on a couple AAS lessons, but these days she's flying. I plan to have her complete all levels of AAS and ETC and feel that this will give her a fantastic foundation in phonics.

Amy

Thanks so much for jumping in about RfR Amy!

I was thinking about it, and How to Teach Spelling is the spelling program at Orton-gillingham.com, and AAS is based off of that, but much better. The rules are simplified, the manipulatives are used, it is all laid out for the teacher. My guess is that All About Reading will be like RfR but better.

I have only seen samples. It is multi-sensory. It is an Orton-Gillingham product. AAS is based on Orton-Gillingham methods. It looked like Recipe for Reading had the same rules. One thing that I liked about AAS was how simple the rules were. I know that in How to Teach Spelling they are harder to understand due to the length and wording. SWR also has the rules simplified, as does Phonics Road (and Phonics Road has them in song form!). So... simple wording of rules is something I would look for. The Orton-Gillingham people recommend that you start with Sensational Strategies and then go on to RfR from there, but I think it may be possible to start with RfR. I will look again.

He LOVES music. Absolutely LOVES it. So I am wondering if phonics road might be better? Does RfR have any songs to go with it?

What is SWR? (I probably know, just drawing a blank!:blushing:)

Thanks so much for jumping in about RfR Amy!

I was thinking about it, and How to Teach Spelling is the spelling program at Orton-gillingham.com, and AAS is based off of that, but much better. The rules are simplified, the manipulatives are used, it is all laid out for the teacher. My guess is that All About Reading will be like RfR but better.

Any idea if all about reading will have manipulatives? I guess that is not possible to answer without it being out, right. Ugh. Such a hard desicion! I dont want to get something that doesnt work for him! With him being a boy, and VERY hands on and LOVES music-- do you know if phonics pathways has manipulatives for the hands on aspect?

I've ended up using AAS and ETC as phonics for my dd7. It was somewhat by accident--approaches to reading that were not strictly phonics based were not working for her, and we didn't see much progress until we started AAS when she was 6.5. Based on this experience I'm a huge fan of OG multisensory programs and controlled readers (which AAS has up to level 2, at least!).

I have Recipe for Reading and occasionally use it to add ideas to AAS, but that's very rare. AAS is the most teacher-friendly program and has given us great results. AAS comes with a word cards, tiles, etc, but with RfR you'd need to make manipulatives and visuals to use. I appreciate that RfR is an inexpensive OG approach, but there are typos in the book and it isn't as clearly laid out as AAS. Also, while the RfR workbooks are good, ETC is better, so we usually stick with ETC. AAS and ETC work well together--I started introducing topics with AAS then giving corresponding ETC pages for practice, but dd's doing so well now that she's working in sequence for both programs.

As another poster said, AAS for phonics might be too slow-paced for some. However, since my daughter was developing some bad guessing habits with her reading, I haven't minded slowing the pace to get her phonics really well grounded and give her a little more time to develop. At 7.5 she is making huge strides that I suspect might not have been possible for her earlier. Before age 7 she seemed to need lots of repetition and we camped out on a couple AAS lessons, but these days she's flying. I plan to have her complete all levels of AAS and ETC and feel that this will give her a fantastic foundation in phonics.

Amy

What is ETC??

No songs in RfR that I've seen. There are some cute teaching ideas, like using a "magic e" wand for silent e, to make the vowels say their names. There are also teaching ideas that seem boring and repetitive, so it's a mixed bag.

My guess is that AAR will be similar to AAS, coming with word cards, tiles, and other ideas to make it multisensory. For AAS 1 when it teaches blending, I had dd out on the driveway jumping as she said each phonogram. There are also lots of ideas for having the child write phonograms in various media--a ziplock bag of pudding or shaving cream, carpet, etc. I feel like I'm able to come up with my own ideas to mix it up for dd now that I've used the program.

Haven't tried Phonics Pathways, can't help you there!

I'm like you, I hesitate to use online programs with young ones (though math fact practice got me to eat my words!) My plan for my 2nd dd is to start her with AAS only, until her handwriting is smooth enough that it's not daunting to write in the ETC books. Other people do them orally and act as scribe for the child. For ETC 1 and 2, though, I think you can cover the same material painlessly using just AAS, especially if the fine motor skills need some more time to develop.

I had been using Handwriting Without Tears, but we dropped it because her printing is now excellent. Her handwriting practice now is ETC books, AAS dictation, and the million things she comes up with herself to write.

Part of it for me is which program is user friendly enough that I will use it regularly. :)

Amy

We are using AAS as both phonics and spelling. My DD absolutely adores it. Yes, it moves a little slowly, but that works well for her, and the repetition and manipulatives are really excellent. We have the Beehive Reader, but haven't started yet (waiting to get to Lesson 15!).

We are using ABC Reading Eggs as our online phonics component, which she also loves. I did the free trial and then happily handed over the money for a 6-month subscription when I saw how much progress she had made.

Any idea if all about reading will have manipulatives? I guess that is not possible to answer without it being out, right. Ugh. Such a hard desicion! I dont want to get something that doesnt work for him! With him being a boy, and VERY hands on and LOVES music-- do you know if phonics pathways has manipulatives for the hands on aspect?

Yes it will--here's what the author has said:

All About Reading follows the same sequence as All About Spelling, and the first level of the program is due to be released by the end of the year. This is for new and struggling readers of all ages. The program includes decoding skills, fluency, comprehension, vocabulary and lots and lots of reading practice. It will use letter tiles just like AAS does.

HTH! Merry :-)

Yes it will--here's what the author has said:

All About Reading follows the same sequence as All About Spelling, and the first level of the program is due to be released by the end of the year. This is for new and struggling readers of all ages. The program includes decoding skills, fluency, comprehension, vocabulary and lots and lots of reading practice. It will use letter tiles just like AAS does.

HTH! Merry :-)

Thank you so much!!!!!!! That helps alot! I am narrowing it down!

:D

We are using AAS as both phonics and spelling. My DD absolutely adores it. Yes, it moves a little slowly, but that works well for her, and the repetition and manipulatives are really excellent. We have the Beehive Reader, but haven't started yet (waiting to get to Lesson 15!).

We are using ABC Reading Eggs as our online phonics component, which she also loves. I did the free trial and then happily handed over the money for a 6-month subscription when I saw how much progress she had made.

ABC reading eggs. Just went to the website, but I do not want to do the free trial til we are able to sit down with my son next week (or the week after) and actually try it with him. So can you tell me a little about how that works? What do you like about it? How long is the free trial? Is it at all like www.starfall.com ? Because we will be doing that for sure! ( You cant go wrong with free:D)

Why do there have to be so many good choices? Ok so I am almost sure we are going to do AAS with whatever we decide on (how does that sounds for confidence?:confused:)

Phonics Road is the program that I was referring to that has songs.

AAS is excellent. I think that deciding between Phonics Road and AAS just depends on your child. It is like deciding between MUS and Singapore.

I have a feeling that All About Reading is going to blow everything out of the water. ;) I might try to use what I have, but I will likely use it for K and then do Phonics Road in 1st.

Phonics Road is the program that I was referring to that has songs.

AAS is excellent. I think that deciding between Phonics Road and AAS just depends on your child. It is like deciding between MUS and Singapore.

I have a feeling that All About Reading is going to blow everything out of the water. ;) I might try to use what I have, but I will likely use it for K and then do Phonics Road in 1st.

I didnt decide, I decided to do both MUS and singapore for this son :lol: seriously, and horizons. (sounds like a lot, I am taking different components from the different programs, and if he needs review I have review :lol:)

Sooo, would AAS and Phonics Pathway be too much? Or maybe I should just slow down and wait to see what AAR is going to be like... ugh... so :confused:

I didnt decide, I decided to do both MUS and singapore for this son :lol: seriously, and horizons. (sounds like a lot, I am taking different components from the different programs, and if he needs review I have review :lol:)

Sooo, would AAS and Phonics Pathway be too much? Or maybe I should just slow down and wait to see what AAR is going to be like... ugh... so :confused:

I think that for spelling, AAS and Phonics Road would be the best of both worlds. Using both programs in full would be too much, but I can picture how to use both. I wouldn't want to spend that much though. They are both pretty pricey by themselves. At the least, you could likely get the AAS manual without all of the cards/student kit. The manual explains how to use the cards and such and you could choose to make the few resources that you would use. You would want the CD Rom and the tiles (at least, I kept those parts of AAS for use with Phonics Road, myself :D ). Edited by Lovedtodeath

Phonics Pathways is so highly recommended (even by our resident phonics tutoring expert, ElizabethB and has it all... You are already looking at that, so just use it as your main program. If you want to fancy it up you can buy the tiles and Phonogram CD-Rom from AAS and use those along with it, then if you feel you want more reading then you can buy the readers from AAS as well.