Menu

Nook, Reader or Kindle?

My hubby wants to get me one for Mother's Day, but we're trying to figure out which would be the best for me. We're kind of leaning towards the Nook or the Sony Reader because we can download books from the library with those. Out of the two, I think we're leaning towards the Nook, but we're definitely not close to a final decision.

Any input?

I have had my Nook for about 3 weeks now...and I love it. I never leave home without it. I love that I can download a new book, no matter where I am. The "Lend Me" feature is great as well. I have already "borrowed" three different books from another Nook owner. It worked flawlessly. My local library does not lend ebooks, so I have not been able to borrow library books, but others on the Nook boards have said they have had no problem.

The latest update included some cool new features (a couple of games and a web browser.) I wish the web browser worked with the 3G...and not just with the wireless, however it is still in beta, so I am hoping that may change.

I also recommend looking at Square Trade for a warranty. I got a better warranty for less money.

Kindle! I love mine. I didn't care for the nook. It seemed like it was needlessly complex and slightly slow. Kindle is very easy and intuitive. I, also, like the fact that Amazon is pretty sound financially. They are in essence the keeper of my electronic library. Some seem disappointed that the Kindle is just to read books. It doesn't schedule your life, surf the web, or clean your car. I personally have too many devices that try to do everything and fail miserably. Enjoy whatever you choose. My kindle is my favorite electronic device.

P.S Please don't tell my laptop :001_smile:

Tori

I think all three are a good option. We have Sony readers here, and they've been perfect for us because everything we read is either pdf files or borrowed from the library. But I'd still like a Kindle because there is a lot more content available only for Kindle. We decided against a Nook originally because they were just released when we needed to get an e-reader and the Nook wasn't working really well at the end of last year, but that isn't an issue anymore and I think a Nook can be a good choice.

It doesn't bother me to have to transfer books manually to my Sony reader, but even if I had a Kindle or a Nook, I'd have to transfer the library books manually anyway.

Personally, I'd probably pick the one I could find the best deal on when I wanted to buy it.

I got my Nook a few months ago after much, much debate between it and the Kindle. My sister and mom have the Sony readers and do not care for them. I LOVE my Nook, and so happy I went with it, I also take it with me everywhere. They have made two updates since release which has made the performance (speed) better. I personally chose Nook because it A) looks prettier :D b) can be expanded with sd card and c) I don't really like amazon proprietary format. Having said that, I think you would be very happy with either of the two choices and will love having a library wherever you go!

Wanted to add, another reason we went with Nook is that we plan to get my daughter one for Christmas and so we can share some titles. Not everything is available to share, but there are enough that it will be a nice feature for us.

Edited by fshinkevich

Borders is coming out with their own version (Kobo) in June. I haven't seen it, so I can't recommend it, but the price listed is $150... Not too bad, comparatively!

I'm totally spoiled with the iPad. So far, most of these e-readers have apps I can download to the iPad for free... I've been reading all my Kindle books on the iPad with no problems.

I have not had the iPad long enough yet to check out whether I can use any of these applications to borrow library e-books... Will check back in when I have that info.

Also don't know what features the Kobo will have... But I am impressed with the price! Just throwing it out there as a possibility to consider.

If the Kobo works well, $150 is a great price. I paid $180 on sale for the Sony Reader. I love it, but it's just the basic model. Small, easy to use, but not a lot of fluff. Gets the job done. I also use the free calibre software when I need to convert files. I chose that over the Sony software because the reviews I read trashed the software Sony provides with the reader. Calibre works beautifully. The guy who created it is a gift to reader users!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I love my Kindle! I have downloaded hundreds of free books off Amazon. I agree that I feel safer with Amazon as it is stable. I really like that it is not complicated at all too.