Menu

s/o - Who is from Iowa?

Obviously, only share if you're comfortable sharing, but I was reading the soda vs pop thread and was surprised at the number of people that either were or are from Iowa. Seems we Iowans are usually pretty few and far between on any forum I've been on. It's fun to know there are people close by :)

We lived in Iowa City for 8 years while dh was in residency training at UIHC. I graduated from pharmacy school there. We lived there when homeschooling was considered "criminal". I still remember the pastor who went to jail (Des Moines area?) because he refused to quit.

I loved to go downtown and shop at Armstrongs Department Store. Sadly, they closed the store shortly before we moved. I can still remember the smell from the Quaker Oats plant. If the wind was just right, it would waft down to Iowa City. Cedar Rapids is a beautiful city.

I lived in Center Point (just north of Cedar Rapids) until I was 7. Then I went to Iowa State and lived in Des Moines for a year after that. I love Iowa and I really miss the smell of Quaker Oats in CR - brings back great memories of going with my grandpa to drop off grain there. Sigh.

We live in the DSM area. I really enjoy living here although I'm not fond of the winter. It is such a great state to raise kids.

I had a roommate in college who would laugh at Iowa because the DSM Register didn't have stories of murders everyday :confused:

We lived in Cedar Rapids for a few months after we were married and I didn't like it. I was forever getting lost in that town. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot if I could have remembered where I was going :001_smile:

Kelly

Northwest Iowa - My husband is routinely transferred with his job. I told him I did not want to go to Minnesota because it is too cold and too far from our families. We are less than 40 miles from Minnesota now. I told him he couldn't get much closer, but I think one plant is closer to the border than ours.:001_smile: I like Iowa. We were in Sioux City for 3 years, so this is our 4th year here.

Northwest Iowa - My husband is routinely transferred with his job. I told him I did not want to go to Minnesota because it is too cold and too far from our families. We are less than 40 miles from Minnesota now. I told him he couldn't get much closer, but I think one plant is closer to the border than ours.:001_smile: I like Iowa. We were in Sioux City for 3 years, so this is our 4th year here.

My dh is from MN. I told him I didn't want to move there either because it was way too cold. :001_smile:

We were in Iowa City for 8 years; dh went to law school & then worked for a law firm there in IC. We moved about 5 years ago...but we will always love Iowa....beautiful, rolling hills, friendly people, lovely barns. (I'll choose to forget how cold that wind is in the winter...and how hot & humid it is in the summer).

I'm not from here (Indiana is my home state) but I got drug along for a job here. I live in west central Iowa. I dislike Iowa. It just doesn't feel like home here and even though I've been assured by the library staff that I am not the only homeschooler in my area, I have never met another one over here. They all are on the other side of the state. Say you homeschool over here, people look at you like you've got three heads. My SO has family scattered on the other side of the state. He's probably related to half of Iowa in one way or another.

I seem to HEAR a lot about people who homeschool around here, and not too many look at me funny, but I have yet to meet another homeschooler. Maybe some of you other Cedar Rapidians can guide me to some groups?? All I seem to be able to find is the HSAP, which I am not interested in, and FLIGHT. Are there others?

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Indiana and am still here, but my dh was from west central Iowa on I 80. He remembers the interstate being built! Years ago we knew of two families in that area, who homeschooled. My sister lives in Des Moines. We stop in to see relatives on vacations sometimes, so we get to Iowa every so often. I think it is very hard to fit into a small town as a newcomer, and the status as newcomer can last many years. I knew of a lady, who married into the town, homeschooled, and was just plain looked at suspiciously and talked about behind her back. From what I saw of her, she was a nice, intelligent person with ideas of her own. That made her strange. I try to behave myself, when I am in the area, so that I don't cause any gossip that the inlaws have to deal with. (I sing, quietly, in the grocery store and walk in step to music, and beat on the handle of the shopping cart as if it were a drum.) I live in a city here and nobody pays attention to the way I act.