Menu

Dogs: What dd is doing doesn't seem safe to me

She is teasing the dog and it will not trust her offer of treats. Dogs don't understand being given a treat and having it withdrawn like that. She will only condition the dog to grab at the treats and be prepared to fight for it. This is dangerous because dogs need to be trained to take treats 'calmly' from a hand to avoid any possible nips or scratches.

She is teasing the dog and it will not trust her offer of treats. Dogs don't understand being given a treat and having it withdrawn like that. She will only condition the dog to grab at the treats and be prepared to fight for it. This is dangerous because dogs need to be trained to take treats 'calmly' from a hand to avoid any possible nips or scratches.

well said.

Also, there are quite a few breeds of dogs who should never be taught to play tug of war with at all.

Tug if war with the treat? When I first read your note, I thought give a treat, he eats it and then play tug of war with a rope. What's wrong with that?

But tug of war with a treat? No. Like others said, you'd encourage the dog to snap for the treat. At some point the dog will snap the fingers.

for one it is setting up food aggression with the dog. May never be a problem with your daughter and dog but could backfire with others and the dog.

Second, our trainer said to never play tug of war. It teaches the dog they win and thus makes them think they are in control. After all, no matter when you are through playing tug of war and "give" the dog the item, the dog simply understands that he got the item.

HTH

I think it depends on the dog. I've had two in my life, a Dane and a Ridgeback cross. Both never bit, both were very gentle with children and kittens. I'd have played that game with them. We preferred real tug of war. My Ridgeback cross would growl and carry on and really fight a strong tug of war-er, but would pull very gently when it was a three year old. Never even knocked anyone down. If you are in doubt, don't.

Tug of war with an appropriate toy is a fine game to play with some breeds. My doxie/sheltie mix loves to tug and then "kill" her fox. She also knows that when I tell her "game over", it's time to take the toy and go lay down. She's also well aware of who's boss in this house. She tries to boss our cocker spaniel but never any of the people. They are above her and she knows it and it is reinforced daily.

We never play tug with food items. It encourages snapping at fingers/hands that are offering treats/food. It encourages aggression with regard to food and treats.