Menu

Chronological art/history/poetry appreciation curriculum?

I was thinking that instead of just picking composers, artists, and poets at random, it would be great if there was a curriculum that already has them lined up to correspond with a chronological study of history.

Does something like this exist? (I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to!)

Look into Barb's program...http://www.harmonyfinearts.com/ :001_smile:

That one looks good too. Those who use it, which option do you use for art? If I were planning on doing Ancients with K, 2nd, and 3rd, then I'd want to buy Harmony Fine Arts 1st grade, right? (Even though it looks like it's more of an overview since there aren't as many resources for ancients. But that way we'd be lined up properly with the history cycle).

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

Can anyone compare the Time Traveler one and the Harmony Arts one? Having read this thread I know I want to use one of the 2 when we do SL 6 and 7 starting in 2011. (Right now we are using Meet the Masters which we really like - but it is just art and not consecutive)

I was thinking that instead of just picking composers, artists, and poets at random, it would be great if there was a curriculum that already has them lined up to correspond with a chronological study of history.

Does something like this exist? (I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to!)

Well Classics for Kids has a composers timeline here: http://www.classicsforkids.com/composers/composers_timeline.asp

And links for the various composers by time periods in list form here: http://www.classicsforkids.com/composers/composers_period.asp

Ambleside Online's upper years links some old English poetry that can be read online.

There is just so little art/music/poems for the early time periods I'm just going to pick at random and tie them in with a timeline.

:D Just what I've always wanted to hear about a program I don't need but really, really want. :D

Rosie

Glad I could help! How do you think I came about buying it? LOL

As far as comparing it to Harmony Arts--it depends on what option you take. The art instruction in TT is more craft-based, whereas art instruction in AP is more instructive for a specific skill, like drawing. The music in TT is geared to the time period, not really geared toward a specific composer. TT is chronological, more than HA is.

I like them all, I think they both have their strengths; it just depends on how you want to do fine arts. Do you want it to tie into history? Or do you want it to stand alone as a subject not necessarily related to your history studies?