Menu

Thank you for U of Alabama fatty breakfast study!!!

I'm on my way to work this morning, but wanted to post to thank the poster that shared a link to the University of Alabama study showing fried fatty foods for breakfast change the metabolism. I tried it - not perfectly - but about 75% of the time since then and have lost 5 pounds without changing anything else (well, except not being hungry at night so having light suppers). BUT, the thing I absolutely love...

Yesterday was my oldest's 18th birthday and we went to CiCi's (pizza buffet complete with unlimited soda) for lunch, then had coconut cake from the bakery for supper (with ice cream, of course - no other food for supper). Normally, a splurge like that would have added 2 pounds easily and I'd be grumbling. This morning? NO gain!!! Absolutely none! That's a first! I triple checked as I couldn't believe it!

I seriously think this "adjust the meals" thingy DOES change the metabolism. Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's nice to add a splurge without the additional weight.

So now... it's fried eggs (2), a fried slice of bologna or ham, and 2 slices of whole wheat toast with butter for most breakfasts (when I have time and eggs - crunchy PB on toast when I don't have eggs). Then we have our usual "supper" for lunch (when I'm home - a sandwich + cheese/crackers (real, not boxed) and fruit when I'm not). At supper, if our normal supper was lunch, then we have something really light if we eat at all (apple, bowl of cereal, ice cream cone if we're cheatin').

We almost never ate eggs for breakfast before. We have our own chickens, so have tasty organic eggs, but they've always been a lunch or supper food around here. No more!

I'm impressed with my personal results - especially since I can't do it 100% of the time. Note... the amount of what we eat hasn't really changed - just the timing of it has - and more eggs + fried meat - less cereal. My exercise level hasn't changed either.

I wish I had the time to look up WHO to thank from that previous thread. I'm hoping you see this! I plan to continue the new normal!

Thank you! Yes, that's it, and thank you STRIPE for posting it to start with as I'd have missed it in the news. I'm converted...

(and yes, we do veggies for our main meal, etc, it's not all fried foods... and buffets are rare or else I doubt ANYTHING would work to prevent weight gain.)

I was just thinking about you this morning (as I fried sausage and made omelets :D). I haven't been doing very well at it, mainly because I often feel a little queasy in the mornings and a fried breakfast only sounds good about once a week or so. But I'm so glad it's working for you! I think the whole wheat toast alongside is an important element--when I eat just eggs and sausage, I'm battling my blood sugar an hour later. I need to find some easy, gluten- and oat-free complex carb for the mornings...

I'm on my way to work this morning, but wanted to post to thank the poster that shared a link to the University of Alabama study showing fried fatty foods for breakfast change the metabolism. I tried it - not perfectly - but about 75% of the time since then and have lost 5 pounds without changing anything else (well, except not being hungry at night so having light suppers). BUT, the thing I absolutely love...

As an Alabama fan, I looked this up and the research was acutally done at UAB -- Univ. of Alabama Birmingham. Not Univ. of Alabama. Journalists really screwed that up. The difference between UA and UAB is as big as Univ. of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State or University of Texas and Texas State. :lol:

Nobody else cares, but I just had to get that out of my system. :tongue_smilie:See, I feel better already, :smilielol5:

I'm on my way to work this morning, but wanted to post to thank the poster that shared a link to the University of Alabama study showing fried fatty foods for breakfast change the metabolism.

I'm glad this is working for you, but the study didn't actually say anything about fried foods. They did find that higher fat intake for the first meal of the day had a positive effect on metabolic parameters and decreased overeating later in the day in mice. It may or may not be applicable to people, but that hasn't been tested yet. I don't think they specified exactly what types of fats they used, but they didn't specifically test fried foods. If I were to change my diet based on this study, I'd increase the amounts of healthy fats at breakfast- olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, omega-3s.

Here's an article:

Hold the bacon! The benefits of high-fat breakfast do have their limits

BY Rosemary Black

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 4:00 AM

Hold the bacon! A new study that extols the health benefits of a high-fat breakfast doesn’t mean you can start your day with butter-slathered pancakes, cheese omelets, and sausage and egg sandwiches.

The research, from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and reported by the Environmental News Network, says you may be able to prevent abdominal obesity and other heart disease risk factors by polishing off a high-fat meal in the morning.

Fat eaten in the morning may make you metabolize fat more efficiently, according to study lead author Molly Bray, Ph.D., and it could determine how your metabolism behaves later in the day.

She and her team discovered that when they fed mice a carbohydrate-rich breakfast, the animals’ carb metabolism was ramped up and stayed that way for the remainder of the day no matter that they ate later on. The study, published in the International Journal of Obesity, concluded that having a high fat breakfast can be healthy when overall calorie intake is kept low and that you’re better off eating your biggest meal in the morning.

Fat stays in the system longer than carbohydrates and protein and can make you feel full longer, says Bonnie Taub-Dix, RD, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. But the type of fat makes a difference and plays a role in how healthy the breakfast is.

“You want a breakfast that will leave you less open to overeating later on,” Taub-Dix says. “It should contain healthy fats.”

Instead of a three egg omelet, consider toast with a slice of low fat cheese melted on it, or whole grain bread spread with almond butter, she says.

Include fats from sources like seeds, nuts, and peanut butter, recommends Beverley Manganelli, RD, CDE. “Eat these in conjunction with whole grain carbohydrates and save the bacon, eggs and sausage for once in awhile,” she says.

The take away message from the new study? It’s age-old advice that nutrition experts have touted for years: breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and eat dinner like a pauper.

:auto: Edited by Perry

I learned a long time ago that if I don't eat enough for breakfast I feel like I am trying to overcompensate for it ALL DAY LONG. (not gorging on breakfast, but getting satisfied and it HAS to include enough protein!)

And I can't EVER eat things like doughnuts or pancakes. They both make me want to nap ALL DAY LONG!!

Fascinating. I have discovered that for me to maintain healthy weight and energy it works best to eat the bulk of my carbs and protein/fat in my breakfast. It is my biggest meal of the day usually, followed by 2-3 small meals/healthy snacks and a light dinner. Breakfast has always been my favorite meal so this is easy for me too. I have to eat the small meals/snacks because I have a super fast metabolism and my blood sugar is on the low end of normal which means I can go from satisfied to starving in nano-seconds if I don't start with a good slow burning fuel and toss on good wood every so often. Breakfast is usually when I prefer to sneak in a treat too , like a cinnamon roll now and then; so yummy with eggs and oj and a nice change from my beloved steel cut oats and blueberries with a bit of butter (yeah good fat), milk and brown sugar.

Yeah for good ole breakfast done the farmers way! :)

As an Alabama fan, I looked this up and the research was acutally done at UAB -- Univ. of Alabama Birmingham. Not Univ. of Alabama. Journalists really screwed that up. The difference between UA and UAB is as big as Univ. of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State or University of Texas and Texas State. :lol:

Nobody else cares, but I just had to get that out of my system. :tongue_smilie:See, I feel better already, :smilielol5:

Ok... THANK YOU UAB!!! ;) (and Stripe for posting it!)

I'm glad this is working for you, but the study didn't actually say anything about fried foods. They did find that higher fat intake for the first meal of the day had a positive effect on metabolic parameters and decreased overeating later in the day in mice. It may or may not be applicable to people, but that hasn't been tested yet. I don't think they specified exactly what types of fats they used, but they didn't specifically test fried foods. If I were to change my diet based on this study, I'd increase the amounts of healthy fats at breakfast- olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, omega-3s.

Here's an article:

:auto:

Thanks for the article. When I'm home I'm going to stick to the eggs, etc, mainly because we have our own chickens and it's cheap and tasty. When I work I've gone to just using the whole wheat toast, but slathered in crunchy PB - it seems to work ok for me, but definitely doesn't keep me as full as the whole breakfast does.

Otherwise, I'm finding I enjoy not being hungry at night... and making supper is a snap when one doesn't want to eat much (making lunch is more involved though). Sometimes we literally do just grab an apple for supper.

Now tonight it's all being thrown out. We need to go to a benefit dinner and they're serving meatball spaghetti or chicken primavera. Such is life. We ate a small lunch, but I doubt it will compensate.