Menu

Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry OH MY!

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. We started in 2nd grade with Horizons 3. Then in 3rd we continued with Horizons 4. DS excelled, grasped concepts quickly, yet I wanted more explanations as we got into depper concepts.

Now in 4th grade, we have reviewed through Singapore 3B, worked through 4A and are now in 4B. Our plan is to continue on with Singapore through 5A/B and 6A/B. So....

Where do we go from there? I know the sequence... Pre Algebra, Algebra I, Geom, Algebra II, Trig & PreCalc then Calculus. However, what do most people use after Singapore primary Maths??? Do most people stick with Singapore? Which series?

I am looking for thorough, indepth explanations, and I don't mind teaching with a GOOD TM. Also something that explains the hows and whys. I need solutions though, with explanations. :-) DS10 is a mathy kid. He wants to go into engineering.

I hear good things about chalkdust, but that it is a college text? What about Jacobs? Not to keen on Teaching Textbooks, (no tomatos :-) )

What suggestions do you have, from those of you that have BTDT! :lol:

I'm all :bigear:

Hi,

This is a high school forum -- I noticed you have a 10 yr old?

Have you tried doing a x-post on the general forum OR a search on the WTM forums (in all boards) for this subject? It has been discussed to death by many -- and has involved a lot of tomato throwing which would be pointless to bring up again. And then many lurkers with those who have high school aged kids feel like not posting due to these opinions.

Sorry for being blunt... but I hate these type of topics that stir up strong opinions. :glare: You are not at fault. But do try a basic search. Hope this helps.

Hi,

This is a high school forum -- I noticed you have a 10 yr old?

Have you tried doing a x-post on the general forum OR a search on the WTM forums (in all boards) for this subject? It has been discussed to death by many -- and has involved a lot of tomato throwing which would be pointless to bring up again. And then many lurkers with those who have high school aged kids feel like not posting due to these opinions.

Sorry for being blunt... but I hate these type of topics that stir up strong opinions. :glare: You are not at fault. But do try a basic search. Hope this helps.

Well tex-mex...

I had posted this here, just to get an overview from those on the high school board, as you 'ladies' have supposedly "Been There Done That..." looking for wisdom.

I have no desires for tomato throwing. i am too old and too tired for all of that. KWIM? yeah. Anyway, I'll do a search.

Yes, there are pretty frequent threads on the K-8 board about what to do after singapore. In fact, you could search with "after sm" and see what you get. You'll see all kinds of answers. My only contribution is to suggest he might enjoy Borenson's Hands-on Equations right now. :)

I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt. It happens on the general and K - 8 boards as well.

I think you are asking for general information about high school math to incorporate into your over all plan. Is that correct?

I've never used Singapore so I have no idea where to go after that. I think that there are more good choices for high school math than elementary. While most public school textbook publishers are weak in the elementary grades, there are some really GOOD algebra, geometry, advanced math texts available for high school.

I "think" Singapore has high school level books. But, I could be wrong.

:grouphug:

Pam L,

Thanks for your kind reply. I wouldn't say my feeling were hurt, maybe just really caught by surprise. KWIM?! :lol: I'm a planner by nature, and am just looking ahead to get a better feel for what is available and has GOOD TM's for teaching high school math. My son is mathy, and wants to go into engineering. How can I know what will be best for him, other than researching and asking questions.??? If I WAIT until he is IN HIGH SCHOOL to post and ask questions... won't that be 'A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT?!' Anyway...

Yes, Singapore does have high school maths, and there are many other publishers that are great too. Just wanted some feedback... Thanks.

Back to my reading.... :lol:

I'll just share what I have done. I use Miquon (and currently also MEP) through 3rd grade and then use Singapore through 6B. I've done different things with my 3 oldest. With my current 6th grader I've used the Russian Mathematics 6 after Singapore 6. With the previous children we went right into NEM I and I think they would have benfited from something between Singapore 6A and NEM I.

What I am set on is Algebra II Foersters(but not the Trig chapters) and PreCalculus with trig(current edition). My oldest is also a mathy type and is headed to college to study engineering in the Fall. He is doing great in his CC Calculus course this semester.

What I am not set on is Algebra I and Geometry. With my third child I think I'm going to use Foerster Algebra I with NEM to supplement and we will probably take 1.5-2 years to go through it starting at the beginning or middle of 7th grade. I used NEM 1-3 with my oldest, NEM 1-2 with my 2nd and then had him go through the chapter tests in Foerster Alg I until we got to the point where he needed to do the lessons. Geometry I think I'll try Jacobs next round. I'll spare you all the things we've tried in Geometry.

HTH,

Kendall

This is the sequence dc. has followed so far. After SM6, my oldest did Foerster's Algebra I, Jurgenson and Brown Geometry, Foerster's Algebra II and Trig, and for Precalculus we haven't decided on the text yet. The plan is to continue with AP Calculus and AP Statistics. Ds. uses DVDs from Math Without Borders for Algebra II.

My second child completed SM5, Lial's Basic College Math, and is currently doing Foerster's Algebra I with DVDs form Math Without Borders.

HTH!

Here's our experience:

Ds finished the SM series a couple of months into his 5th grade year so we used a bunch of different resources to fill in while I figured out what I wanted to use for Algebra. We then went onto Dolciani Pre-Algebra which did not take us a full year because most of it was review for ds. We have now moved into Foerster's Algebra.

Here is a thread I posted for someone else recently that might help you:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136627

HTH

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. We started in 2nd grade with Horizons 3. Then in 3rd we continued with Horizons 4. DS excelled, grasped concepts quickly, yet I wanted more explanations as we got into depper concepts.

:lol:

I'm all :bigear: