Menu

Physical therapy for dancers?

My dd, a dancer, wants to see a physical therapist about her knees. She doesn't have any injuries, but her knee has bothered her on and off for years. She also wants to learn specific exercises to help her turnout. I think they do that at her studio, but she seems to think there is more that she can do. I've never danced, so don't really even know what she's talking about.

We've never been to PT before. Are there physical therapists that specialize in dance? Or would any respectable PT be able to help her? Thanks.

My dd (17) is in an intensive pre-professional ballet program and has seen a PT more times than we can count. They are an invaluable help for dancers and our PT was a former ballerina herself. My daughter also has to get a monthly massage (from a massage therapist) as an injury prevention therapy. All the dancers in the program do this and the PT is one who works with the professional ballet company in our city. I highly recommend it!

Diane

My 13-year-old daughter sees a Pilates trainer once a week. She really needs to do this because she is hyperextended (meaning she's more flexible than the average person) and needs to develop strength. The trainer sees her for 50 minutes, and the appointment costs $75.

The Pilates trainer, who is extremely well-qualified in the Pilates realm and is also a former dancer, works with her on weak areas, like her ankles and her core. My daughter has made very rapid progress under her care. The ballet teachers are thrilled when the dancers take Pilates classes or private sessions because the results are so dramatic.

If we did not have Pilates trainers in our area, I would certainly have my daughter doing physical therapy.

My dancer daughter sees a chiropractor and it's really helped her. She went through a three month course (first 3X per week, then 2X per week) and then gradually went down to maintenance plus as needed visits. She used to have a lot of painful episodes around the shoulder blades and that's all stopped. When other areas are causing her problems she let's the chiro know which area to work on--it's made a huge difference for her.

My dd was having pain in her heel. I was thinking of bringing her to a podiatrist - I knew she had pronation issues and thought that might be causing it. I ended up asking her dance studio if they knew someone who specialized in dancers' feet.

Best decision I ever made. They recommended a sports orthepedist at Children's who specializes in dancers. He figured out what it was right away (he said it was a fairly common issue with dancers but could be easily missed by someone who didn't see his often), and recommended PT with someone who also specialized in dancers. She was able to give my dd exercises that specifically helped with dance, and it helped her so much. In about 2 months her heel didn't hurt, and she increased both her strength and flexibility, and she'd also learned better how to align herself to prevent injury. The dr. said the PT had worked well enough that she would not need surgery (which could have happened had she not responded to the PT). I do have to say she was very, very good about doing her exercises every day - she was very motivated. She would never have gotten on pointe later this year without this help.

If you want to get more informed about the ballet world, you should read the chat room at Ballet Alert. The address is www.balletalert.com

Moms, dancers, and teachers all participate in the chat room. Some of the most highly sought-after teachers are participants and even moderators. A nurse monitors the medical issues board. It's a great place to ask ballet questions.

(When you get to the site, be sure to click "Ballet Talk for Dancers.")