Menu

Animal people - question about obese dog

My MIL was given a Corgi about six months ago. He is HUGE. My kids named him Speed Bump. Anyway, he's probably about 50 pounds. He's an adult but he's not old - we're thinking about 3. Apparently his previous owner fed him from the table constantly and then fed him dog food on top of that. Since she got him, he's taken off MAYBE five pounds, but that still leaves another 20 pounds or more to go in my mind. She wants to give him to us because she lives a very sedentary lifestyle herself and knows that he will get more activity here, but I have never dealt with weight loss in an animal and would like tips. I know there are some very basic things that I can do to help him like make him walk up stairs himself (she will boost or carry him), quit feeding him constantly (if his bowl is empty, she fills it up, which I don't do for my dog that I already have - or the cats - and sure as heck won't do for any dog coming in), and just get outside and run around with him, but is there really anything else I can do? I'm more of a cat person, so dogs are kind of out of my realm of experience. Thanks :)

We acquired an obese 6 yr old cocker spaniel. She looked like a walking footstool. She had been fed table scraps + dog food, too. Now she's 14 and people think she's a puppy because she carries no extra weight and she'll play for hours.

She gets no 'treats', I stuck scrupulously to the portion instructions on the bag of (good) dog food, and she runs with the kids all the time. She can have water all she wants, of course. She could never have lived so long and healthily with all that weight. Her joints seem stiff now if she gains even a pound.

I have a cat that was overweight--he's a big cat so he's never going to be small, but he was over 19 pounds at one point. It had been creeping upwards but when I got serious about doing something was when he was at risk for diabetes and urinary tract infections. The vet suggested changing to a high protein/low carb food and once we did that and started letting him out into our backyard to play outside for a few hours a day he rapidly lost weight (he's now down to a mere 16 pounds :)). There times when I need to have "treats" (ie getting him inside when he wants to stay out) I just use a few kibbles of the low carb food.

Evo is what I'm feeding him. It's not cheap, but a lot cheaper than treating health issues. Also, he has a super sensitive stomach and doesn't adjust to new food well, but he did fine when I phased this in.

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp

I was surprised to discover that my dog recently lost 10 lbs, over a period of 5 months.

I had changed his dog food to a lower fat Flint River dog food. He lost weight in the winter, that's why I attribute it to dog food instead of to exercise. The only other factor might be that I removed the stand that held his dog dishes, to prevent bloat. Maybe he doesn't like eating from dishes that are placed directly on the floor.

One thing you can do is to feed the dog twice a day and measure the volume so he is getting 1/2 of one day's food each time. Leave the food bowl down for a time certain (say 30 minutes), throw away the leftovers (if any) and then take it up until the next time he is scheduled to eat. This will train the dog to eat when he is fed, which in turn will stave off hunger.

Our dog gets people food against my will. DH gives him a slice of deli ham every time he leaves or comes home. The dog now has him trained. Every morning when DH gets out of the shower, the dog sits at the bottom of the stairs and barks until DH comes down to give him ham. When DH is home, the dog guards the refrigerator, just in case. Funny, when DH is not home, the sound of the fridge door opening doesn't rate his notice.

Edited by RoughCollie

Besides limiting the food, watch out for other places the dog may find food. We had a Corgi once. She played with the German Shepherd from next door. I noticed that she sometimes disappeared for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. One day the neighbors mentioned to me that our dog had been going over to their house with her friend, following him in through their pet door, eating their dog's food, and taking a nap on the couch with him before returning home. (The neighbors both worked, but one happened to be home and caught her over there.) They thought it was amusing; but I was mortified.

Also, Corgis love to run and herd, since they're bred to herd animals. And they can be barky and, sometimes, nippy. That helps when herding the animals. They need plenty of activity. They also love people and seem to be fairly smart. And they will definitely wander if given the chance. :)

I'm sure you were mortified but this is hysterical.....:lol: I can just imagine their surprise!

http://www.morgantownamc.com/site/view/83214_WeightManagement.pml;jsessionid=1f6rfqrsih1x5

There's a link to the weight management pages on our vet hospital's website. Lots of handy tips. . .

Diet wise, I think it boils down to:

1) go ahead and "splurge" on a prescription weight loss diet through a vet -- Science Diet r/d, Purina OM, Royal Canin Calorie Control. . . or similar. The vet-only diets will give your dog enough vitamins/nutrients while adequately reducing calories. OTC diets are NOT as restricted and if you reduce the quantity too much, you might not get enough nutrients. When you have sooo many pounds to go, a prescription diet can be a huge help. Once you get to goal weight, you can transition to an OTC "light" formula.

2) MEASURE the food every day, count ever nibble. . . Also, weigh your dog every week and/or learn to do "Body Condition Scoring" (also on the website) and monitor that as well.

3) Try replacing half (or so) of the volume of the dog's diet with green beans. Buy a big bag of frozen ones and nuke them. .. Most pets love them (our one fatboy cat LOVES them) and they give volume, satisfy, and are nutrient rich, with very few calories. Sometimes just this trick alone can get weight off effectively.

And, HOORAY for you for helping this dog!!!!!!!!

I have a corgi cross siting at my feet right now. She has the most beautiful, placid nature. She is fed minimally yet tends to plump. People think we overfeed her- we definitely don't.

I would switch to (and research ) a raw diet- whch is a dog's natural diet. Our dogs live on chicken necks, smaller cow and lamb meaty bones, kangaroo mince (cheap here!)mixed with various supplements, and sometimes scraps from the table.

And....believe it or not, dogs do not need to be fed every day- that is a human thing. A fast day once or twice a week is good for ther digestion. My dh cant do it- he feeds the dogs (we have 2) and cant bear their longing puppy eyes when they get hungry. But when dh goes away for a weekend or week, I will often fast the corgi for a day.

http://rawmeatybones.com/

Thanks for all the tips. I do appreciate every one of them. I especially love the green bean idea! He's too fat to escape our nice, big, fenced back yard (and probably not motivated to make the jaunt across the pasture to the neighbor's house lol), but the kids are excited about teaching him to play as he gets thinner. He's intrigued by the laser pointer but has no energy to chase it yet. DH and I made him run back and forth across the house today which absolutely blew my MIL's mind when she called to check up on him. She meant well, bless her heart, but just isn't motivated enough to do what needs to be done.

I love Corgis. We used to have a couple, but they chronically escaped SO much that we wound up having to re-home them for their own safety. I'm glad to have another, and Bump is a loving, well-trained, very smart animal. He has already learned that I am not going to haul his rear end up the back steps to get him into the house and that he will sit and be patient until I say "OK" rather than barging through the door the second I open it (house rule that my other dog also follows). He will do well here, I think, especially with all you folks at my back :)

Most vets receive minimal nutrition training during vet school, and the course that is provided is presented by the major Rx food companies. In addition to that, the vet has a financial interest in your purchasing Rx foods from his office. He gets paid for every bag he sells.

Here's some reading if you're interested: Dog Food

I am of the belief that this dog needs a good food, controlled portions and plenty of exercise. He doesn't need frankenfood from the vet's office.

Most vets receive minimal nutrition training during vet school, and the course that is provided is presented by the major Rx food companies. In addition to that, the vet has a financial interest in your purchasing Rx foods from his office. He gets paid for every bag he sells.

Here's some reading if you're interested: Dog Food

I am of the belief that this dog needs a good food, controlled portions and plenty of exercise. He doesn't need frankenfood from the vet's office.

Why I ever read these pet threads is beyond my little brain to comprehend.

Vets=stupid, evil, & just in it for the $.

Oh, yeah, right, that's the ticket.

Why I ever read these pet threads is beyond my little brain to comprehend.

Vets=stupid, evil, & just in it for the $.

Oh, yeah, right, that's the ticket.

I'm certainly entitled to my opinion. You are entitled to yours. I was not rude, ugly or nasty to you.

There is certainly a time and a place for vet care. And when it's needed, it's certainly worth the money.

I've done my own reading regarding dog foods and have come to the conclusions that have led me to base my dogs' diets around grain-free, filler-free kibble. A poster above feeds her dogs RAW, which I would gladly do, but I can't get my stuck-up doxie to eat it. I'm not cooking for the dog. My MIL does cook for her dog. My sister feeds her dog whatever is on sale at the dollar store. We each make choices for our pets with what believe to be their best interests in mind.

And yes, whether you like it or not, the vet's office does make money off the products they sell. I can buy Frontline for half the price my vet's office charges.

I don't buy my groceries from my doctor. I don't my prescriptions from my doctor.

I'm so sorry that you don't like my opinion, but I have a right to it and to express it, which I did politely. :chillpill: with the sarcasm in the future, k?

Last year we got a 13 (we think) lab mix from my in-laws. She was overweight, my in-laws overfed her and did not play with her, and the owners before had her an apartment all day. 6 months with us, limited food and lots of playing our dog looks awesome and does not act like a 14 year old. A few weeks ago we got a 1 year old lab. She is very overweight, the owners that had her had her an apartment and did not play with her. Again I am limiting food and making sure she gets played with 2-3 times a day (a least one time with me). Diet and exercise, the key to weight loss.

Good luck

I would switch to (and research ) a raw diet- whch is a dog's natural diet. Our dogs live on chicken necks, smaller cow and lamb meaty bones, kangaroo mince (cheap here!)mixed with various supplements, and sometimes scraps from the table.

http://rawmeatybones.com/

Here's the funny thing... when a dog has been fed raw and regulated themselves for a while.... they can actually leave food when they're full. It takes a while... but my dog will eat and then be done. It feels great to not feel like I'm depriving him... and that he's..."just done".

I'd just say that you don't want to give grains.. like wheat from the table... no corn... and some other not good for them food... But... the raw food has been the nest for us! (and less $$, too!)

:)

Here's the funny thing... when a dog has been fed raw and regulated themselves for a while.... they can actually leave food when they're full. It takes a while... but my dog will eat and then be done. It feels great to not feel like I'm depriving him... and that he's..."just done".

I'd just say that you don't want to give grains.. like wheat from the table... no corn... and some other not good for them food... But... the raw food has been the nest for us! (and less $$, too!)

I'd love to get my doxie mix to eat raw. Do any of you guys who feed raw have any suggestions? She just licks at it and walks away from it. The cocker spaniel eats a little bit of raw, but not much more than the doxie mix.

Without bone in, just cook it.... and feed it cooked... then back up the cooking time a bit at a time. After a week?? they should be eating it.

With my pup (ok 63 lb dog) I had to cut it up in one inch pieces first... then a bit bigger. After about a week he was eating it. Tonight, I threw in a whole chicken... he ate what he was hungry for.. and I wrapped up the rest for tomorrow. It was a 3 or 4 lb chicken.. and he less than half of it. But... that's what he wanted. I'll throw it in again tomorrow... until it's gone. (Maybe 2 or 3 days total.)

The secret is... no cooked bones at all. Once they start eating raw... feed bones and all. I can't say good enough things for how raw has changed my dog's life. He's gone from a horrible coat to a beautiful one. His weight is just perfect. He's thin enough... but not too thin. No fat on him though! Anyway... it's just the best. Yes, I suppose he could somehow die... but I've met people who had their dogs die from bad dog food... or just chewing on things outside... or my friend who's dog died eating something pretty normal... (just an extra treat)

Without bone in, just cook it.... and feed it cooked... then back up the cooking time a bit at a time. After a week?? they should be eating it.

With my pup (ok 63 lb dog) I had to cut it up in one inch pieces first... then a bit bigger. After about a week he was eating it. Tonight, I threw in a whole chicken... he ate what he was hungry for.. and I wrapped up the rest for tomorrow. It was a 3 or 4 lb chicken.. and he less than half of it. But... that's what he wanted. I'll throw it in again tomorrow... until it's gone. (Maybe 2 or 3 days total.)

The secret is... no cooked bones at all. Once they start eating raw... feed bones and all. I can't say good enough things for how raw has changed my dog's life. He's gone from a horrible coat to a beautiful one. His weight is just perfect. He's thin enough... but not too thin. No fat on him though! Anyway... it's just the best. Yes, I suppose he could somehow die... but I've met people who had their dogs die from bad dog food... or just chewing on things outside... or my friend who's dog died eating something pretty normal... (just an extra treat)

I'd love to get my doxie mix to eat raw. Do any of you guys who feed raw have any suggestions? She just licks at it and walks away from it. The cocker spaniel eats a little bit of raw, but not much more than the doxie mix.

I would just mix it in. Mostly kibble or whatever their present food is, with a little raw food. Then slowly over time, change the proportions until its mostly raw.

Just like its hard for people to go from junk food to a healthy diet overnight- it just doesnt taste right, and its unsatisfying- I imagine its the same for dogs who are highly domesticated. Do it gradually.

Also, dont be afraid of a dog starving themselves to death. Its highly unlikely, and even 2 -3 days without food- but plenty of water of course- can be a good thing for their digestion. Dogs should have a completely empty digestive tract between meals.

Its also important not to leave food out. Put the food in front of them- then take it away after half an hour or less if they didnt eat it all. The smell of food disrupts their digestion. Better they have no food available, rather than kibble available all the time.

ALso, feed them irregularly- not at the same tme every day. In the wild, they dont eat at the same time every day. Its sporadic. It also makes them surrender to you, the boss. They are not people- they are dogs, and respond well to being treated like dogs rather than people.

but I have a right to it and to express it, which I did politely. :chillpill: with the sarcasm in the future, k?

I really didn't see a vet=evil vibe going on. I ♥ our vet. And he knows little about animal nutrition aside from what he's been taught by Hill's. In my 30 years a pet owner, that's been totally my experience - even wtih the holistic vets.

Human docs don't generally get nutrition either. It's just not a focus of the training. Just like lactation isn't. Even the ADA, in my studied option, gives simply awful nutritional advice.

ime, they get hungry enough and will eventually eat it.

having said that, it can be seared a bit on the outside - just at first - to get them started.

k

Mine never get there. They'll always eat until they puke. Always.

:D

I really didn't see a vet=evil vibe going on. I ♥ our vet. And he knows little about animal nutrition aside from what he's been taught by Hill's. In my 30 years a pet owner, that's been totally my experience - even wtih the holistic vets.

Human docs don't generally get nutrition either. It's just not a focus of the training. Just like lactation isn't. Even the ADA, in my studied option, gives simply awful nutritional advice.

Thank you! I appreciate that someone else saw my viewpoint. I never implied that vets were inherently evil. I stated the truth that canine nutrition isn't a subject in which a vet is a trained expert. The nutritional education provided by pet food companies is, at the very least, biased towards products that the company wishes to promote.

Don't get me started on the ADA. :rant: