Menu

cross stitch

I've been working on an Eeyore cross stitch for a quilt for dd's synchro coach. Can I just say this has been the torture project from hell? I think I'd rather pull out my hair, eye lashes, eye brows, fingernails AND toenails than do another cross stitch. I know there's something wrong with Eeyore's ear and I can't figure out what. Of course, I'm in the home stretch. I'm about to throw it away. And I've got to outline it with black thread? There are no directions for that.

I bought another one, a dragon fly pattern, to do for my enjoyment. I think I'd rather pluck out my eyeballs than pick up another.

Is the first one always torture? Or are some of you just naturally crafty?

NOT, NOT, NOT the relaxing project I thought it would be. Of course it if were for ME, I could put it away for a few weeks to get a break. Siiiiigh. It's already overdue.

These kinds of things are easiest to fix with a friend who is good at cross-stitch. Are you friends with another mom you know from synchro? Someone you could visit - Eeyore in hand?

yes, that's a last resort. It was due 8 days ago and I really wanted to get it done over the weekend.

http://www.maurer-stroh.com/tutorial/tut_diagram.html excellent diagrmas for backstitching etc Make sure you have and are using a magnetic prop board like this http://www.herrschners.com/product.aspx?id=368&pid=3860

http://www.herrschners.com/product.aspx?id=368&pid=4066

for your pattern looking up and down constantly makes stitching a nightmare.

I do cross stitch, needlepoint, goldwork and embroidery with silk and ribbon. The best book I ever bought that is a go to resource for any and all questions is the following. http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Stitchers-Bible-Stitch-Charles/dp/0715325450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271544766&sr=1-1 There is very little I need to know that cannot be found in this wonderful book. Truly a chart holder and a good color organizer for threads are must haves to make it worth your time .

Backstitch is pretty easy, you can find diagrams online for that.

I noticed you mentioned you had something wrong with the ear. Cross stitch is fun! But mistakes are not. The single most important thing I learned to do:

Make a working copy.

Get highlighters.

Mark off what you have done on the working copy with the highlighters, so you don't lose your place or make mistakes. (You don't want to destroy your originals...working copies can get pretty beat up.)

Just to be clear... you may make a photocopy of the original as long as you keep the original in your possession (you cannot loan it out), and as long as you destroy the working copy once you are done with it.

If you focus on completing the whole project, you will end up feeling like you want to stab someone with something, yes. I bring my focus down to one thread at a time. For a project that might take 14 months, you can't defer getting some "kicks" until then. Mainly because after 14 months you'll do the last stitch and shout "finally the **** thing is finished, aaaarrrrghhhh" at anyone who is around, or at the wall if no one is. If you focus on finishing a thread, you get "ah, I'm so good!" thrills a few times in an evening of stitching.

Keep at it. Part of the problem is that Eeyore is a dull subject. Until you are experienced, pick small (10cm square) patterns with lots of colour variation.

:)

Rosie- who has branched out into freeform embroidery in the last few years and was pleasantly surprised that it isn't harder!

I did a couple of Pooh-themed cross-stitch projects and they were torturous, because of the wide expanses of one color at a time. Something with more color variation is more interesting. I would not want to do Eeyore, but I'm currently working on this pattern and having a lot of fun with it. (I'm halfway down, to the beehives.)

I also find that cross-stitching on a deadline is not always very fun. It's much more enjoyable when you can pick it up as relaxation instead of a job that must be finished.