Menu

Drawing with Children

Jana

Has anyone used this method to teach their children to draw? To say I am a reluctant drawer is a big understatement. Outside of what I've read in this book, I don't know the first thing about creating a realistic representation.

That being said, I'd like to learn and I want my children to have this skill. But I am having a hard time operationalizing her ideas.

For instance, the author thinks children of different skill levels shouldn't draw together, so am I supposed to give my children individual drawing lessons? How much time would that require?

How often should we do the activities? Once a week? This is totally new territory for me.

Any ideas?

:lurk5:

I am in the same boat as you are. But I am going to try this book with my oldest. I plan on working with him once a week for around 30 minutes. Others who have gone before us might say differently, but I would think having your children all drawing at once would be fine. I cannot remember why she says not to have different skill levels together, but from a big class size point of view, I could see where some students could get behind or ignored in favor of more advanced students. At home, I don't see this as a problem! :001_smile:

MBJ

This is a great and lovely book, also recommended to me by a distant relative who is a professional artist. Sadly, we never got around to using it. The programs we actually used didn't involve me teaching or drawing at all. These are The Phonics of Drawing, one of the programs available at http://www.teachartathome.com and something by Barry Stebbing called Feed My Sheep for one of my dc and a different one for another of my dc. The older one doing this took one of his workshops and just uses the book; my younger one watches the DVD.

I cannot remember why she says not to have different skill levels together,

MBJ

She says that lower level students may compare their work to higher level students and become discouraged.

These are The Phonics of Drawing, one of the programs available at http://www.teachartathome.com and something by Barry Stebbing called Feed My Sheep .

Thanks for these resources. The Phonics of Drawing title looks interesting. I think Mona Brookes actually uses that exact phrase to describe her program. It might be worth getting it for my own instruction.

I am using Donna Young's guide (http://donnayoung.org/art/draw-w-children.htm). Right now we are using her drawing blocks for younger children (http://donnayoung.org/art/draw1-younger.htm) and will do the other lessons this summer.

I didn't see how old your child is, but Drawing with Older Children and Teens looks MUCH easier to use (it has actual projects spelled out). It says it can be used with 8 yo's and up. I intend to do the projects in the Older Children book myself, as I'm not the best drawer (is that the word?) in the world.

I don't use the book to teach my children to draw, but my children are taking drawing classes with a former Monart instructor who still uses Mona Brookes' techniques. They've done some really wonderful work with those techniques. The best part is that they enjoy drawing and, when they want to draw something, they are able to draw it and have it look like what they want it to, iykwim.

I had the book for a couple of years before I finally admitted that I was never going to get to it simply because I was not comfortable with drawing myself. So, I found a Monart instructor and signed the children up. It's definitely been one of our best uses of money for an outside class. :)

How did you find a Monart instructor? I have looked on their website, but the nearest Monart facility is over an hour away.

I'd like to know as well.

But think I'd like to try this myself. Because I like her philosophy and what it asks of a student. So much of her exercises are about drawing what you see--without any connection to representation. It seems to break-down observation into its component parts.

It would help me to *hear* how someone else has done it.

well, i think we should let their imagination and inspiration develope naturally.

Interesting.

Mona Brookes points out that we would never use such an approach with music, dance or writing. She sees drawing as a skill that requires training just like other areas of artistic expression.

Do you see drawing as a special case? Or do you allow all artistic expression to develop naturally?

Interesting.

Mona Brookes points out that we would never use such an approach with music, dance or writing. She sees drawing as a skill that requires training just like other areas of artistic expression.

Do you see drawing as a special case? Or do you allow all artistic expression to develop naturally?

I think it's a mixed bag with art. Some artists have told me just to let my dc do what they want when they are young. Unlike music & dance, learning technique at a relatively early age is not as crucial. My girls developed a lot of skill on their own before using The Phonics of Drawing, and my eldest went straight into level 3 at 10 (she did go to ps for K-2, though, and had a bit of art.) After doing most of that course, they went to an art workshop done by a successful professional painter. He pulled me aside and told me my girls showed a lot of ability and that I should encourage that with training, etc. He did NOT say that about my ds whose fine motor skills were behind.

fwiw, the list of traits for the artistically gifted does not mention them being good at it when they are young.

That said, I eventually have my dc do art courses, but at a certain point (high school) no longer push it. Even before that I have to be careful or I'll turn them off their talent.

I think it's a mixed bag with art. Some artists have told me just to let my dc do what they want when they are young. Unlike music & dance, learning technique at a relatively early age is not as crucial. My girls developed a lot of skill on their own before using The Phonics of Drawing, and my eldest went straight into level 3 at 10 (she did go to ps for K-2, though, and had a bit of art.) After doing most of that course, they went to an art workshop done by a successful professional painter. He pulled me aside and told me my girls showed a lot of ability and that I should encourage that with training, etc. He did NOT say that about my ds whose fine motor skills were behind.

fwiw, the list of traits for the artistically gifted does not mention them being good at it when they are young.

That said, I eventually have my dc do art courses, but at a certain point (high school) no longer push it. Even before that I have to be careful or I'll turn them off their talent.

Thanks for your thoughts Karin.

At this point it's about exposure or teaching them a set of skills. Whether they respond to the medium is a completely different matter.

Has anyone used this method to teach their children to draw? To say I am a reluctant drawer is a big understatement. Outside of what I've read in this book, I don't know the first thing about creating a realistic representation.

That being said, I'd like to learn and I want my children to have this skill. But I am having a hard time operationalizing her ideas.

For instance, the author thinks children of different skill levels shouldn't draw together, so am I supposed to give my children individual drawing lessons? How much time would that require?

How often should we do the activities? Once a week? This is totally new territory for me.

Any ideas?

I've used DWC, slowly, for a few years now, and I love it! I had a tiny, tiny bit of drawing training in one high school class, but that was over 20 years ago and I didn't keep it up. This book taught me how to "see" in a more detailed way, and to pass that skill on to my kids. I am amazed at what we can turn out with a marker and paper, by just sitting down and concentrating for a little while on the seeing skills we have learned. And yes, I mean seeing, not drawing skills, because what I've learned is that when we pay attention to what we are seeing, and translate that into being able to put it on paper, we can draw!

Anyway, I did it one section at a time. I would read through a section, try to understand what she was saying and how to teach it, and then try it myself, and then try it with my kids. The beginning exercises (copying, mirror images, etc.) are valuable, to help you and your kids get a feel for what drawing will actually be like when you get more into the "lessons."

I started out trying to do it once a week, but it didn't work out perfectly because I needed to concentrate on other basic academic skills, so it has taken us a few years to get through it. I still have yet to finish "lesson 5" about drawing the human body. But I hope to do that by summer. But the gradual procession from learning the elements of shape, to drawing them via beginner exercises, to copying the bird/lion/carousel from a picture, to drawing from a 3-D still life, to shading were fun. I feel like we have a very basic set of seeing skills already. It has translated over into other things like when my son has to draw a picture for science study or my daughter is drawing something for fun - they both remember some of those seeing skills. Anyway, once a week is a good aim. You can always do it more often if time permits, or scale down if needed.

My kids were on slightly different beginning levels, and they are different ages, but I taught them together - I don't think it's a big deal within your own family. You just adapt what each child is doing. I did find that I couldn't actually draw while working with my kids, except to demonstrate something to them - so while they drew, I watched, helped, and answered questions. But it was no problem working with both. As for discouragement, well, my kids did compare to each other, but I just kept reminding them that each of them has his or her own unique style. That they had to learn the seeing skills and practice them, but each of their pictures would turn out differently than the other, no matter what.

Interesting.

Drawing was a mystery to me before I discovered that there were actual seeing skills that I could learn and use to turn out realistic images of my surroundings. It always seemed to me like a person either had drawing talent or not. I do think some people are more gifted than others, but I believe most people can learn basic drawing skills and turn out satisfactory images. To me, it's the *same* as music, dance, theatre, ice skating, writing, painting, sculpting, singing, weaving, knitting, metalwork, cooking, baking, grammar, math, whatever. They all contain skills that can be learned. I don't care if my kids never become professional artists. I just want to gradually equip them with seeing skills via drawing, because these skills can spill over into other areas of life.

hth

I've used DWC, slowly, for a few years now, and I love it! I had a tiny, tiny bit of drawing training in one high school class, but that was over 20 years ago and I didn't keep it up. This book taught me how to "see" in a more detailed way, and to pass that skill on to my kids. I am amazed at what we can turn out with a marker and paper, by just sitting down and concentrating for a little while on the seeing skills we have learned. And yes, I mean seeing, not drawing skills, because what I've learned is that when we pay attention to what we are seeing, and translate that into being able to put it on paper, we can draw!

Anyway, I did it one section at a time. I would read through a section, try to understand what she was saying and how to teach it, and then try it myself, and then try it with my kids. The beginning exercises (copying, mirror images, etc.) are valuable, to help you and your kids get a feel for what drawing will actually be like when you get more into the "lessons."

I started out trying to do it once a week, but it didn't work out perfectly because I needed to concentrate on other basic academic skills, so it has taken us a few years to get through it. I still have yet to finish "lesson 5" about drawing the human body. But I hope to do that by summer. But the gradual procession from learning the elements of shape, to drawing them via beginner exercises, to copying the bird/lion/carousel from a picture, to drawing from a 3-D still life, to shading were fun. I feel like we have a very basic set of seeing skills already. It has translated over into other things like when my son has to draw a picture for science study or my daughter is drawing something for fun - they both remember some of those seeing skills. Anyway, once a week is a good aim. You can always do it more often if time permits, or scale down if needed.

My kids were on slightly different beginning levels, and they are different ages, but I taught them together - I don't think it's a big deal within your own family. You just adapt what each child is doing. I did find that I couldn't actually draw while working with my kids, except to demonstrate something to them - so while they drew, I watched, helped, and answered questions. But it was no problem working with both. As for discouragement, well, my kids did compare to each other, but I just kept reminding them that each of them has his or her own unique style. That they had to learn the seeing skills and practice them, but each of their pictures would turn out differently than the other, no matter what.

Drawing was a mystery to me before I discovered that there were actual seeing skills that I could learn and use to turn out realistic images of my surroundings. It always seemed to me like a person either had drawing talent or not. I do think some people are more gifted than others, but I believe most people can learn basic drawing skills and turn out satisfactory images. To me, it's the *same* as music, dance, theatre, ice skating, writing, painting, sculpting, singing, weaving, knitting, metalwork, cooking, baking, grammar, math, whatever. They all contain skills that can be learned. I don't care if my kids never become professional artists. I just want to gradually equip them with seeing skills via drawing, because these skills can spill over into other areas of life.

hth

Colleen thank you. It's helpful to know that I can take this slow and work with all of my children at once. Otherwise, who has the time? And often when I'm excited about something, I need to be reminded to S-L-O-W down. So thanks.

Just as you described I would like to help myself and my children *see* better. I have a hunch this may translate across the curriculum, but mostly I'd like to use the fruits of it in our science/nature studies.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just as you described I would like to help myself and my children *see* better. I have a hunch this may translate across the curriculum, but mostly I'd like to use the fruits of it in our science/nature studies.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

:iagree:

I was also wondering, if I start my son with Lesson One, Level One, do I work through the different lessons first, then go back through the lessons working on the next level, going through each lesson three times or do we stay on the same lesson until all the levels are complete?

:confused:

MBJ

I was also wondering, if I start my son with Lesson One, Level One, do I work through the different lessons first, then go back through the lessons working on the next level, going through each lesson three times or do we stay on the same lesson until all the levels are complete?

Lesson one is the same for all levels; you are learning to recognize the five elements of contour shape. Lessons 2-3 each level has a different "project." So you do lesson 2, level one, then lesson three level one. As skill improves you move to a different levels.

But I imagine the process to be more fluid than that; just like learning any skill. You work at what makes sense to work at next. KWIM?

:iagree:

MBJ

I think in lesson one, I just let my kids work on whatever level they were at. With lesson two, I took them both through all three levels, just to try the bird, the lion, and the carousel, just to see what they could do. On lesson three, I just let them draw what they could into that still life, working on what they wanted. I wasn't really paying attention to levels anymore, just letting them do what they understood and felt capable of at the time. But no, I didn't go back through the lessons, either (probably because we haven't finished lesson five yet, but I probably won't, unless they want a refresher on skills. I figure the more they practice skills, the more detail they will add into their pictures.).

Drawing was a mystery to me before I discovered that there were actual seeing skills that I could learn and use to turn out realistic images of my surroundings.

hth

My ds is like this. For years he wanted me to show him how to draw anything, and I was mystified because my girls would simply draw whatever they wanted to (whether skilled or not.) The only thing he would draw out of his head were airplanes, because he'd spent so much time studying them. Doing a course has helped him a great deal.

I forgot in my other posts that my dd's did do Draw Write Now for a while, as did ds. I don't think my dd's learned much, but it helped ds a lot.

Now, at 9 1/2, ds is good at drawing airplanes & airports, but not much else, but he is improving. He would have done much better if I were able to get around and teach art regularly, but by the time everything else is done, it's hard. He's slowly working through the first Stebbing course "I Can do All Things" and would do it more often if I'd get that video in. However, by the time everything else is done it's usually time to go out. My dd's can draw just about anything they decide to, particularly if they take the time to do it well. They doodle & draw all the time, and I'm still telling them not to draw on their schoolwork.

However, by the time everything else is done it's usually time to go out. My dd's can draw just about anything they decide to, particularly if they take the time to do it well. They doodle & draw all the time, and I'm still telling them not to draw on their schoolwork.

This is my struggle. For the last four years (all the years I've homeschooled) art is just something extra we do. If we do it.

I am hoping this is something I can do once a week, so it gets done.

Just on a practical note, I read the chapter and it seems like she wants one to use markers for the pre-exercise but once you start the lessons are you having younger kids use pencil and then another medium for color or just using markers from the get go? I have a 5 and 8 year old and I was initially teaching the sketching which we do light lines and then erase extras along the way.

This is my struggle. For the last four years (all the years I've homeschooled) art is just something extra we do. If we do it.

This is the way it is for a lot of homeschoolers (the struggle to get art in, I mean). But I keep on trying, because I do like that my kids are learning these skills, even if it's slow and drawn out.

Just on a practical note, I read the chapter and it seems like she wants one to use markers for the pre-exercise but once you start the lessons are you having younger kids use pencil and then another medium for color or just using markers from the get go? I have a 5 and 8 year old and I was initially teaching the sketching which we do light lines and then erase extras along the way.

We just use markers. The idea is to *not* use light lines and erase along the way - her idea is to have them pay closer attention before they lay marker on the paper, so that they know exactly where they want marker marks to go on the paper. And they will make what they think are mistakes, but she even tells you how to help them change something they don't like, or make it into something new, and how to phrase it other than "mistake." So, it's like the use of markers forces you to think before you draw. Knowing you are putting marker ink down makes you look more closely at the elements of shape you are drawing.

She does say later in the book, that once kids are confident in these skills, they could use pencil, but that if they start to get sloppy because of eraser-dependence, have them use markers again for awhile.