Menu

How do YOU use Hakim's Story of US?

GWOB

I have this set and love it. I plan to pursue two streams of history this coming school year a la LCC. I have a 5th grader and a very bright, though young 3rd-ish grade boy.

So, how do YOU personally use this program, especially if you are an LCC family? Do you use any of the teacher/student guides? Do you read, then require a narration? I am trying to figure out how to incorporate this program.

Thanks!

I just incorporate it into our other history readings. I started the set last year, during anceint studies. Only a very few chapters were covered during that period. A larger part of the first book gets covered this year, during medievel studies. Next year we'll start into the age of America in earnest. I do have the test book, but I have yet to use it.

I am not LCC so you can feel free to ignore my input. We used these this year though. They were scheduled with Sonlight Core 100 for my oldest. I used them for my 5th grader too. We dropped her spine and read the books out loud. I don't use narration, if I did, I would have. Instead, we discuss as we go. Lots of questions from me... "What do you think of that?", "Do you think that was a good idea?" "What did that mean?". From the discussion, I think my 12 yo got more out of them than my 10 yo, but we all enjoyed them and the discussion springboard they provided.

I just incorporate it into our other history readings. I started the set last year, during anceint studies. Only a very few chapters were covered during that period. A larger part of the first book gets covered this year, during medievel studies. Next year we'll start into the age of America in earnest. I do have the test book, but I have yet to use it.

:iagree:

We have used some of it this way, and I plan to continue with the series, in very much the same way, at a later date.

I just realized I called it "Story of US," not "History of US."

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know how useful the teacher/student guides were. I think there is a lot of room for discussion in the chapters. Thanks guys!

I am not LCC so you can feel free to ignore my input. We used these this year though. They were scheduled with Sonlight Core 100 for my oldest. I used them for my 5th grader too. We dropped her spine and read the books out loud. I don't use narration, if I did, I would have. Instead, we discuss as we go. Lots of questions from me... "What do you think of that?", "Do you think that was a good idea?" "What did that mean?". From the discussion, I think my 12 yo got more out of them than my 10 yo, but we all enjoyed them and the discussion springboard they provided.

I was planning on using SL core 3 with my 5th grader and she needed something at a higher level. After trying a few things we settled into using History of US in the same way (as a readaloud spine, with discussion as we go). She also has a book to read on her own that corresponds to the time period, and we supplement with Netflix DVDs, activities, and field trips.

We will be reading and discussing as we go along. We will also do Historical Fact Sheets from Brimwood Press http://www.brimwoodpress.com/productlist.html

We will supplement with literature listed in the back of each volume of History of US. We also bought a stop motion animation kit http://www.timberdoodle.com/Animation_Kit_p/223-003.htm as a way to do "narration". My son loves making movies, and I plan to have him do reports or re-enactments using this medium.

We'll also be using http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/The-Shaping-of-a-Nation.html to give us map work.

We'll do a timeline on the wall as we go along, as well.

Oh hey, having written that down makes it seem exciting to me! I don't usually have things that well planned out for history. :001_smile:

Anywho, hope it's of some use to you.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Edited by scrapbabe

We will be reading and discussing as we go along. We will also do Historical Fact Sheets from Brimwood Press http://www.brimwoodpress.com/productlist.html

We will supplement with literature listed in the back of each volume of History of US. We also bought a stop motion animation kit http://www.timberdoodle.com/Animation_Kit_p/223-003.htm as a way to do "narration". My son loves making movies, and I plan to have him do reports or re-enactments using this medium.

We'll also be using http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/The-Shaping-of-a-Nation.html to give us map work.

Oh hey, having written that down makes it seem exciting to me! I don't usually have things that well planned out for history. :001_smile:

Anywho, hope it's of some use to you.

Smiles,

Shlaynn

Great ideas! Thank you so much.

Oooooh, brilliant idea! I have never thought of this, even though I have eyed this in the catalog many times. Do let us know how this turns out!

Oooooh, brilliant idea! I have never thought of this, even though I have eyed this in the catalog many times. Do let us know how this turns out!

I will let you know. Maybe we'll post some videos on youtube. Or I'll take a picture so you can laminate it. :lol:

Smiles,

Shalynn

Smiles,

Shalynn

Wait! Weren't you looking at AAH?

(and another hijack- have you used the Brimwood press materials before?)

He also did 2 streams of history this year; one was lighter than the other.

With History of US, I asked ds to read about 2 chapters per day, though he often read more (and finished the whole series a couple weeks ago). I'd just assign various things like: Select a chapter that you read today...

• to make a list of 5 to 6 important facts
  • to write an outline
  • to write a summary

I tried to give 2 short writing assignments per week, but I think it averaged out to 1 per week. So, he didn't write for each chapter of the entire series.

Right now, he's working on short report on FDR using a couple of library books.

Other things that could be added but we didn't do: maps, timelines.

HTH!

Wait! Weren't you looking at AAH?

(and another hijack- have you used the Brimwood press materials before?)

Oh no, you're keeping tabs of all my mind changes?! :001_huh: I was looking at AAH (and still like the looks of it) , but I already owned History of US so I thought I'd use what I already have. I haven't used the Brimwood materials. I did ask the company if the Historical Fact Sheets were specific to their program, and she said they were not - that they could be used with any program. I think all of their stuff looks intriguing.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Oh no, you're keeping tabs of all my mind changes?! :001_huh: I was looking at AAH (and still like the looks of it) , but I already owned History of US so I thought I'd use what I already have. I haven't used the Brimwood materials. I did ask the company if the Historical Fact Sheets were specific to their program, and she said they were not - that they could be used with any program. I think all of their stuff looks intriguing.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I can't even keep track of my own mind changes! :)

I was just looking at AAH threads and saw a post from you. I hoped you had a serious reason for rejecting it so that I could stop researching! I already have the Hakim books, so I imagine I will just buckle down and pull a schedule together. I have to do that for almost every subject this year so am always on the lookout for a good thing.

I like the look of Brimwood Press, and hope to do a worldview course next summer.

I can't even keep track of my own mind changes! :)

I was just looking at AAH threads and saw a post from you. I hoped you had a serious reason for rejecting it so that I could stop researching! I already have the Hakim books, so I imagine I will just buckle down and pull a schedule together. I have to do that for almost every subject this year so am always on the lookout for a good thing.

I like the look of Brimwood Press, and hope to do a worldview course next summer.

Yeah, I've thought about doing Brimwood as a summer program too. Good luck with the History Of US. Hope you can make it work for you. :D

Shalynn