Menu

Neti Pot - Do you use one?

I use mine every morning and every night! I have bad allergies and usually have several sinus infections throughout the fall/winter/spring. This year, I've only had to go to the doctor once (instead of once a month!)!

It's not the most pleasant sensation, but it is worth it (for me), especially times like now with all the pollen. Also, after I dust, I also go into the bathroom and rinse because I am highly allergic to dust mites.

Hope you can find some relief!

I love mine. I use it everytime I take a shower...that way, I am alone and not wearing makeup. LOL But mine has worked WONDERS for my sinus issues. I also use natural Olbas oil - just a bit under my nose after a rinse. It seems to keep things cleared out. And, when things are really bad, I will do my neti pot rinse and then use a nasal steroid (flonase generic) to stop the inflammation (which is one of my biggest issues).

I use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle, and it helps. :) Certainly doesn't completely resolve issues, but is much more effective than medication.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RJGB5C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009XH8I0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZRHGFRBT1P4MG9JQF99

:iagree: My nurse suggested a Neti and NM rinse, plus ONE drop of Tea Tree Oil after 3 courses of antibiotics hadn't cleared up my chronic sinus infection last spring. Haven't had one since.

ETA: A couple of suggestions on use: make sure the water is skin-temperature -- pretend you are warming a baby's bottle. If you are making your own rinse, DON'T use any kind of salt except non-iodized table salt. Sea salt, kosher salt, iodized salt can all be very irritating, no matter how "natural" the salt is labeled. Also, add a 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda to the salt rinse.

Edited by BikeBookBread

My dh (family practice doctor) says that he almost never has to treat patients with antibiotics for sinusitis anymore, once they started using the sinus washes. He's had patients that have had chronic sinusitis for years that are now completely symptom free.

Edited by Perry

I've been using one for a couple of years now.

I had to get surgery on nasal polyps in January. He told me that there would be about six months of "cleaning" visits. By my third visit, everything was all healed and I was done. He was simply amazed.

I can't get my husband to do it, but I can get all the kids over 5 to Neti. They actually request it. My future son-in-law actually let me Neti him. Now that is trust. :)

I apparently can't operate them correctly, or my anatomy is all messed up. I have an ear that has issues...all. the. time. The one time I tried to use the neti pot, I ended up with a blocked ear and the worst ear infection I've had since I was a kid. And yes, I followed the directions carefully. Now, I'm just plain scared of it! I would love to use it though, my sinus issues are a pain. Literally.