Menu

Please recommend good walking shoes for someone who has plantar fasciitis.

Dh & I walk for exercise on an uneven gravel surface, and I need some sturdy, but lightweight walking shoes that will prevent heel pain from plantar fasciitis. And the hardest part of all is that these shoes must be 1) wide width AND 2) affordable (under $100 per pair).

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Edited by ereks mom

Dh & I walk for exercise on an uneven gravel surface, and I need some sturdy, but lightweight walking shoes that will prevent heel pain from plantar fasciitis. And the hardest part of all is that these shoes must be 1) wide width AND 2) affordable (under $100 per pair).

Thanks to anyone who can help!

The cheapest possible option is to buy some WalkFit inserts at Target and wear them with your regular shoes. This is what I do. I used to wear custom (expensive!!) orthotics--the WalkFit inserts really are exactly like my orthotics, but are only $20 per pair. They are durable too--they are rigid plastic. I know others who have been helped by this option as well.

I also found that Chaco sandals fit my foot nicely. I do NOT like the Chaco shoes, though--they claim to have the same footbed as the sandals but most emphatically do NOT. Also my Chaco shoes fell apart after LIGHT use in less than a year. BUT I have worn Chaco sandals for many years and love them--the footbed fits my foot just like my custom orthotic, so I wear them all summer. Look for the sandals that say "biocentric footbed."

I've had pretty severe problems with this (mostly when I was taking/teaching TaeKwonDo and spending a large amount of time bare foot)

New Balance cross trainers work really well for me. They run $40-$50. I wear them from the time I get up until I go to bed (no going bare foot, ever) and buy a new pair every 4-6 months. Sometimes I can extend the time by getting inserts but the pain will eventually return. It works for me....

I've had plantar fasciitis for years and the only thing that has helped is wearing New Balance running shoes pretty much all day every day with custom orthotics.

I may not be fashionable but not having the foot pain is well worth it!

Good luck.

I don't think there are any American made tennis shoes that have the level of arch support I need. Just because a shoe is "size 7" doesn't mean that there is a standard "best" arch support. Get the orthodic you need and then put them in sneakers.

:iagree:

Speaking as someone who had tremendous foot pain her ENTIRE life, the orthodics are a life saver. I tried many different things and finally had them made in December. It has made a HUGE difference.

the doctor told him to wear running shoes, the real kind. It did cost him over $100, but I know you can get NB running shoes for under a $100. You need the real support of the running shoe. The doctor told him all other sneakers are junk. :001_smile:

I hope you can resolve it soon. I know how painful foot pain is. And it is frustrating when you can't do something as basic as take a walk.