Menu

Orthodox Easter

I thought some might enjoy seeing the video put together of our Orthodox church's midnight Easter (aka Pascha) service from last Sat/Sun. The service began at 11:30 p.m. Saturday and ended at about 2:30 a.m. And then we had a meal together, of course! There was too much to celebrate to go to bed yet, right? ;) It was such a joyous time. The video is about 3 minutes long.

I love the music! And the candles, and the incense. It's such a pretty service all around. If you look closely you will see yours truly lighting a candle at about 30 seconds (white shirt) with my daughter right behind me. Then at 54 seconds that's my oldest son with another of our daughters sort of behind him.

Anyway, just thought some might be interested!

Pascha2FJC.jpg

Pascha3.jpg

Pascha.jpg

Edited by milovaný

Lovely. Please tell me more about the music. It was wonderful!

Pam, we're pretty new to the Orthodox faith so someone else who's Orthodox might have more information than I. The style of music is either Byzantine or Russian chant from what I understand -- the style of music common in the ancient church. When the choir sings in our church it's so beautiful -- this type of music. No instruments, just voices. It sounds angelic to me, does it to you?

I did do a quick search and found this about the song at the beginning (Come and Receive the Light) --

Before midnight on Saturday evening, the Odes of Lamentation of the previous day are repeated. The Orthros of the Resurrection begins in complete darkness. The priest takes light from the vigil light and gives it to the faithful, who are holding candles. The priest sings: "Come ye and receive light from the unwaning light, and. glorify Christ, who arose from the dead", and all the people join him in singing this hymn again and again. From this moment, every Christian holds the Easter candle as a symbol of his vivid, deep faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ as Savior.

This is common to the Orthodox faith around the world. I hope that helped some! Again there are likely others with a better understanding than I.

Pam, we're pretty new to the Orthodox faith so someone else who's Orthodox might have more information than I. The style of music is either Byzantine or Russian chant from what I understand -- the style of music common in the ancient church. When the choir sings in our church it's so beautiful -- this type of music. No instruments, just voices. It sounds angelic to me, does it to you?

I did do a quick search and found this about the song at the beginning (Come and Receive the Light) --

Before midnight on Saturday evening, the Odes of Lamentation of the previous day are repeated. The Orthros of the Resurrection begins in complete darkness. The priest takes light from the vigil light and gives it to the faithful, who are holding candles. The priest sings: "Come ye and receive light from the unwaning light, and. glorify Christ, who arose from the dead", and all the people join him in singing this hymn again and again. From this moment, every Christian holds the Easter candle as a symbol of his vivid, deep faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ as Savior.

This is common to the Orthodox faith around the world. I hope that helped some! Again there are likely others with a better understanding than I.

Yes. I want to sing stuff like that. :tongue_smilie:

I'm loving that we stay in Pascha for so very long after that Sunday celebration -- still singing "Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tomb bestowing life!" for many more weeks yet.

Christ is risen!