Menu

Now I'm wanting to see 5th & 8th grade plans...and opinions on mine

PineFarmMom

I think I have it figured out, roughly, for my two oldest dc. Tell me what you think...I like to see what others are using too.

5th grade ds:

Math: Either MUS Epsilon OR Singapore (We've used MUS all the way so far) & we do windows drill sheets, calculadders & online MUS drill.

Grammar/Writing: Finish R&S 4 and move on to R&S 5. Writing Tales Level 2. Random writing projects to go with history and science. We struggle with writing...we really, really do. Really.

Spelling: Spelling Power (I've never used this before. I've always used SWO, but I'm thinking of being cost efficient and using it with 8th grader & 5th grader. That way I'd have it for the little guys that will bring up the rear in a coupla years. Opinions?)

Handwriting: A reason for writing

Latin: Either LC2 (doubtful) or LL. I'm still up for suggestions. We're wrapping up LC1 this year.

Bible, History, geography, & science: MFW 1850-present. We do their science and add in readers. I typically require one 2-paragraph paper per week on a science book from the library. I may move that to a 3-paragraph paper. We STRUGGLE with writing!!! I just thought I'd mention that. ;)

Reading & Read-aloud: I will read aloud the recommended books from MFW (there are 6, I think). Ds will read 6-7 books through the year, mostly history-related. I will add in Progeny Press reading guides for 2 of those books, one in the fall & one in the spring.

Art: God & the history of Art (from MFW), and I will hopefully look at books on artists...we'll see if I get that done.

Music: Guitar lessons & music that accompanies MFW.

Foreign language: I may...I stress MAY add in either Greek, Spanish, or Italian next year, depending upon what older dd takes. Whenever she adds in another language, I'll just go ahead and start him too. They both do latin.

Electives: We do 4-H chickens this year. Awana. Ds may do homeschool speech and debate with his older sister. We go to homeschool p.e. every week. Ds does Upwards Basketball each year also.

8th grade dd:

Math: We have used MUS since 4th grade. We're finishing Pre-alg. I am really thinking of Foerster's Algebra next year for dd. Maybe Jacobs. Opinions?

Grammar/writing/spelling: CW Diogoness (sp) & R&S 7. Two research papers next year, plus at least one extra writing assignment every other week. We don't do spelling now...but I think we'll add in SP with ds.

Latin: Henle

History, Bible, Geography: MFW 1850-present.

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Reading: 6-7 books relating to history, two Progeny Press guides.

Art: God & the history of Art

Music: Piano & music from MFW

Language: Like I said above, either Spanish, Italian or Greek.

Logic: Fallacy Detective (I think). I also like The art of Argument

Electives: Weekly p.e., piano, awana, 4-h, speech & debate (maybe softball).

You know, I think I feel better just writing that out. Sometimes...sometimes I feel I'm missing something. I think it's pretty thorough. We are doing most of that this year. I've added a little for next year. Does that sound like too much or just right? I'd love input!

Teresa :bigear:

I have one of those reluctant writers too!

My DS is almost 12, and on a roughly 5th grade level. I've done some tweaking, and here is what we are using, some of these have just been started, some have been used awhile. I tend to use more than one curriculum in different subjects, partly to maintain DS's interest, partly to help customize instruction and work around his significant LD"s and ADHD.

spelling: Apples and Pears

writing: Jump In, along with occasional IEW techniques and free writes

grammar: just ordered a grammar program called Grammar Tales, along with a workbook aimed at slower learners

math: Mastering Math, this is from Steck-Vaughn. I'm planning on adding in some Keys to Math for fractions and decimals

science: Wonders of Science, from Steck-Vaughn, along with various other books

history: loosely using Oak Meadow 6 along with SOTW, adding in various reading lists and assignments

geograph: Your World and You, from Steck-Vaughn, along with a few other books

art/music - these are studied very casually, and not nearly consistently enough

PE - he takes karate 3x per week, homeschool bowling and homeschool PE

Michelle T

Spelling: Megawords 2 & 3

Grammar: GWG 5

Writing: Writing Tales 2

Reading: Literature corresponding with history and using the How to Report

on Books 5-6 from Evan Moor

Latin: LFC B

Math: Singapore 4B & 5A

Logic: Dandylion Logic Series, Grid Perplexors

History: WTM style logic stage Ancients

Science: WTM style logic stage Biology

Art: ArtPacs and Art Appreciation along with history

Music: Story of the Orchestra, piano lessons

Home Economics for Homeschoolers

P.E.: Swimming, other classes and activities

5th grade

Latin: Finish LL1 then move on to 2

Math: RS E

Writing: WT2

Literature: DITHOR with LCC and Highland Latin School book lists

Spelling: AAS (he is a horrible speller)

History: VP MARR

Science: informal nature studies, science history and biography reading

Music: Guitar and music appreciation class outside of the home

Art: informal picture studies and artist biographies

Physical Education: class 2/week outside the home, football, and swimming

I am still trying to decide about lots of things but my rough plan for 8th and 5th is this:

8th

History: Ancient times, History of the Ancient World(?)

Science: My own biology plans and nature study

LA: CW Diogense Chreia, spelling, Daily Grams Jr. High/Sr. High, Poetry, Copywork, memorywork, literature

French

Latin: Latin's not so Tough! 6

Art: My own art appreciation plans

Geography/cooking: Cultural cooking

Violin

Ballet

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study Quest Genesis, Book of Mormon

Math: Finish TT Algebra 1 and start Algebra 2

5th

History: SOTW 1

Science: My own biology plans and nature study

LA: CW Diogense Maxim or Homer B, spelling, Daily Grams 5, LL7, poetry, copywork, memorywork

Latin: LFC C

French: Rosetta Stone 1 (?)

Math: TT Pre-Algebra

Art: My own art appreciation plans

Geography/cooking: Cultural cooking

Piano

Logic

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study Discovery Promises Fulfilled, Book of Mormon Stories, Book of Mormon

My 8th grade plan for next year is still in progress, but it is shaping up something like this:

English - he'll take a co-op class for lit and writing, plus I will do grammar & vocab with him at home. A Scholarship Vocabulary program book II (finish second half) and book III. We've always done A Beka grammar but I may switch to AG or something else??

Math - continue Jacobs geometry. Add in some Probability & Number Theory with Art of Problem Solving books. Hopefully Mathcounts at co-op.

Greek - Continue Elementary Greek series with book 3. Start a high school level text Mounce or Machen--not sure yet.

History - probably SL Core 100, possibly something else for US History

Science - maybe Apologia Physical--this is still up in the air.

Logic - finish TL 2 and then maybe material logic??

Art & Music appreciation class and/or Speech & Debate at co-op - our co-op schedule is still under construction. I'll know in a few weeks what will be offered there & then we can solidify some things. :)

Extracurricular - Boy Scouts and competetive swimming

Here's my upcoming 5th in black and my current 5th grader in red:

Math: Saxon 65 & 76 / Saxon 65 & 76

Latin & Greek: Latin's Not So Tough 3 & Hey Andrew 2 / Latin's Not So Tough 3 & Elementary Greek 1 (first 1/2)

English: Aesop B & Spelling Power / Homer A & Growing with Grammar 5

History for both boys (Includes literature, art, & geography): Biblioplan with IEW Theme writing

Science: McGraw-Hill 5 / We did misc. earth science this year before returing to McGraw-Hill

Extras for both boys: Piano, Karate, Swimming

Oh, I saw you're planning on using Spelling Power. My middle 2 children and I adore SP. :001_smile:

Looks like you have everything covered!

This is what we have used (successfully) for 5th grade this year:

Math: Saxon 7/6

Grammar: Abeka Language B

Writing: IEW

Spelling/Vocabulary: SWO and we add definitions/sentences

Reading: 1 hour/day assigned reading (history readers, Newbery books, and other good literature)

History: Sonlight 3

Geography: Sonlight 3 and Evan-Moor

Science: Abeka grade 5, then RS4K and Noeo Physics

Logic: Mindbenders

Latin: RS

Art: Atelier

PE: ice hockey or soccer, homeschool tennis, homeschool bowling class

I think that is it! Good luck with your plans.:)

My fifth grade plan for my middle daughter next year:

Math: Horizons 5

Grammar: Voyages in English 5

Writing: Writing Strands 4

Spelling/Vocabulary: SWO F

Reading: 30 minutes structured, 30 minutes free reading

History: History Odyssey Level 2, Ancients

Science: Science Daybook, Life Science

Latin: Latin Primer

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser 5 (she still needs the handwriting instruction)

Now, my eldest will be in seventh grade next year. However, I've made a loose plan from 7th-12th grade. This is my *plan* for 8th grade as it stands:

Math: Chalkdust Algebra

Language: Vocabulary from the Classical Roots C and D

Voyages in English 8 (using the grammar portion only)

Finish Writing Strands 6/start on 7

Outlining practice

History: History Odyssey: Modern (assuming it will be out by then *stresses*)

Primary Sources using “Jackdaw†packs

Prepare one composition per week

Oral history interviews one time per month

Science: Physics-I haven't decided on a curriculum yet

Latin: Finish Latin Primer 3 (we may finish before that, we'll see), start Wheelock's

Spanish: Rosetta Stone Levels One/Two (she started this year but it will probably take 3 years to get through it)

Logic: Intermediate Logic

I will have a 5th grader next year. Our plans:

Math - finish Right Start E, move into Singapore Math.

Latin - Latin Prep and Lingua Latina

Greek - Elementary Greek

Writing/Grammar - Classical Writing Aesop A

History/Literature - year 3, mostly reading and discussion

Extra - Scouts and Piano. Science, art and PE are TBD. We might also start Spanish.

We're still deciding if we want to use BJU homesat next year for a few classes...but here is what I'm working with:

5th grade dd:

Math--finsh RSE around Cmas...go into BJU6, hopefully

Language--BJU

Spelling--Calvert Spelling CD 4

Writing--IEW

Reading---books to go along with history. Should prob. get some lit guides

I'd like to do Figuratively Speaking, also

History--SOTW4/Truthquest

Science--Apologia or BJU

We also do Classical Conversations

5th grade ds:

Math: Horizons 6, Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals as pre-algebra.

Grammar/Writing: Classical Writing Homer A and start B hopefully. But we're in co-op next year doing Total Language Plus also. The organizers told us that this was somewhat light. To prevent overkill we'll only do Homer every other week. Our Homer assignments will be history related.

Spelling: We're behind in spelling. She'll go through Calvert 4 and hopefully start 5.

Handwriting: We believe in copywork.

Latin: Latin Prep.

Bible and History: TOG Ancients (Didn't want to pass this up even though our co-op is doing MFW)

Geography: We're taking this through co-op also via MFW. I don't normally separate these subjects, but I will this year.

Science: Christians Kids Explore Science or something like that through co-op

Reading & Read-aloud: TOG selections

Art: Lessons weekly

Music: Piano lessons

Foreign language: We always work on Spanish. My dh is half Cuban and fluent even though he never speaks to any of us in Spanish.:glare:

Electives: PE through co-op and hopefully drama. If not, something fun like cooking.

This year is going to have to be adjusted for us since our co-op is using resources that don't fit in with us this year. I really like our 4 year rotation and don't wantto give that up. Neither do I want to give up CW. And I want to try TOG. I'll have to be very selective and careful not to do too much.:001_smile:

I think your plans look very good. Here are my plans for fifth grade, next year:

Math: MUS Delta (for drill work) and Singapore 5 (also Singapore CD).

Grammar/Writing: Abeka B; ILL; WordSmith Apprentice (maybe Writing Strands) and some other misc. stuff. We, too, will do random writing projects to go with history and science, as well as some outlining. (You said: "We struggle with writing...we really, really do. Really." And I'm right there with you.....)

Spelling: SWO level G, but I totally agree that Spelling Power will be cost efficient for you to use with multiples, all the way through.

Handwriting: Getty Dubay Italics F.

Latin: I've decided against Lively Latin, although I liked the look of it. I can't seem to access the owners of the website/writers, etc., so don't feel comfortable buying it......and I've also been told there are a lot of mistakes in it. I already own all the tapes, teaching materials, etc. for the Latin Primer/Grammar series, so I'm going with that, at least for now. I just looked at Latin for Children (at least I *think* that's the name, LOL) at a convention, and I really liked the look of it. I'll have to research more......

Bible - Memoria Press Christian Studies

History, geography - Kingfisher, SOTW, living books and geography resources for Ancients (plus loads of living books). Also doing a US geography study with the Holling books and the BF study guide.

Science: Using a combo of the RD books, living books, a unit study on botany that I own, and Real Science 4 Kids that I just purchased. He will be outlining and writing reports this year (I hope).

Reading & Read-aloud: I plug in loads of living books during the year for read alouds and read alones. He generally gets through at least one book a week. Readings are generally tied to history period under study and we will be focusing heavily on mythology this year. We may do the National Mythology Exam.

Art: I hope to continue an art class we did this year, as well as some art appreciation at home. I have purchased ArtPaks from RRC to help me accomplish some of what I'd like to do at home. I used these with my older son and really liked them.

Music: He will continue piano lessons, which includes theory work, and we'll look for other music opportunities during the year, as well.

Foreign language: We will continue Spanish at home next year, with a program called Espanol para Chicos y Grandes, as well as an outside class that we did this year.

Electives: He does soccer and swimming; we look for horseback riding opportunities, as well as other sporting activities, which tend to vary from season to season. We also try to set up some occasional outside group classes or activities through our library system, 4-H, our arboretum, etc. We do field trips almost weekly.

We will be doing logic using Mind Benders next year.

Regena

It will be our first year and this is what I have planned for 5th:

Bible: The Narrow Way

Math: Saxon 7/6 w/DIVE

Reading : Literature to correspond with History

History: MOH 1, maybe add in Diana Waring audio

Spelling/

Grammar: Rod & Staff 5

Writing: CW Aesop B

Science: Apologia Botany & Astronomy

Music/Art: Harmony Fine Arts Program

Latin: still undecided if we will pursue

Homeschool PE group 1x per week, guitar lessons, AWANA:001_smile:

Hi,

Your schedule looks very good. I can't see anything that you've left off! My 7th grader LOVED Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox this year!

My plans for my 5th and 8th grade boys are:

5th grader:

Math: Singapore 5A/5B, Challenging Word Problems

Grammar/writing/spelling: IEW American History theme lessons, Simply Spelling

Literature: Teaching the Classics with analysis of SL 7 readers

Latin: Finish Latin Prep I and start Latin Prep II

History: SL 7 (with brother)

Science: SL Science 4

Reading: SL 7 readers and read-alouds

Music: Violin, BF's Classical Music

Greek: Elementary Greek I

Logic: Mind Benders

Bible: Community Bible Study- Wisdom of Solomon and the Pastoral Letters

Extra: Webelos II, basketball

8th grader:

Math: Jacob's Geometry

Grammar/writing/spelling: AG, IEW Am. History, Simply Spelling

Literature: Teaching the Classics with analysis of readers

Latin: Latin in the Christian Trivium II

History: SL 7

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Reading: SL 7 readers and read-alouds

Music: Piano, guitar, BF's Classical Music

Greek: Elementary Greek I

Logic: Traditional Logic

Scouts: Life Scout working on Eagle, youth praise band, youth choir

I do feel better too, when I write things out. It helps me process everything. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my 10th grader next year.......

8th grade plans:

King James Bible

Scripture Memory

Abeka Pre-Alg

Abeka Science 8

Rod and Staff English 5 (new to program so low level)

Vocab From Classical Roots A

Harp and Laurel Wreath for Poetry

Dictation/Summaries/Outlines - Kingfisher History

Listen in on SOTW 1 w/youngers

Literature from Ancient times

Critical Thinking Books 1 & 2

Latin Primer I (new to latin so low level)

Art and Flute

5th grader:

Math: Singapore 5A/5B,

Grammar: Abeka Language Arts B

writing: maybe a writing class outside the home uses IEW

spelling: Spelling Workout

Latin: Latin for Children A

History: Beautiful Feet Ancient and Kingfisher Encyclopedia outlines

Science: Reader's digest for biology and lots of experiments (hubby is a chemist so he will be doing stuff too)

Reading: Ambleside online reading lists

Music: Guitar lessons

Logic: Mind Benders

physical education: local sports teams, daily walks,and other various activities.

I have not been on the board for a while but wanted to chime in on this post. Here are my 8th grade plans:

Math – Algebra 1 - haven't decided on curriculum

History - BiblioPlan 4

English

Analytical Grammar year 3

IEW SWI B

Word Roots B1 & B2

? Lightening Literature 7 ?

Science – Exploring Creation with General Science outsourced class

Bible – Possibly Explorers Bible Study

Health – Total Health

Logic - Thinking Toolbox, Fallacy Detective

Music – Recorder and music appreciation

P.E. - Football in the fall and basketball in the winter

My son has chosen not to do a foreign language until freshman or sophomore year in high school. He said he would not take it seriously right now. He is ADHD and if he doesn't want to do a subject then he could sit at the table for an hour with his mind wandering instead of doing the work. Believe it or not, the only thing above that he will not enjoy is literature analysis.

Mine are going into 5th Grade:

Religion: finish NT as a family

Math: R&S 4

Spelling: All About Spelling 2 and 3

History/Geog.: Hist. Ody. L2 Ancients

Science: Rainbow Science

Gram/Writ:R&S 5

Reading:Reading Detective Book A1, Assigned reading list with book reports

Art: Calvert's A Child's History of Art:Painting

Handwriting: breaking down and teaching American cursive with HWT

Latin: Minimus Starting Out in Latin

I may drop Latin. We have quite a few changes happening with a new baby.

I also need to start working with my two younger guys. I will most likely use Calvert's PreK with them just because it will all be done for me. I might add in OPGR for my 4yr old if he shows an interest.

My dd will be going into 5th. I am still greatly undecided on a number of things. I will be attending the FL convention in May and I hope I will figure more things out by then.

Math - thinking about MUS - may need to go back for refresher or possibly TT.

History and Science - Winter Promise Sea and Sky

Grammar - Easy Grammar 5/6

Spelling/Vocab - Very undecided - we used Paces this year. I own Spelling Power, may go back. Maybe Megawords? Did I mention I was undecided?

Reading - books at her level - no specific program

Writing - maybe Writing Tales?

Bible - Bible studies by Kay Arthur.

Wow... writing it out makes me feel even more undecided!