Menu

Anyone have experience homeschooling through K12?

We've been using it this year for first grade with 2 kids. Prior to that, we used Calvert. I love K12 & we plan to use it next year. It's expensive, but well worth the $$$ IMHO. The lesson plans are on the computer and they automatically update so it's easy to slow down or work ahead. For example, if you don't get to math that day, that day's assignment will be automatically bumped into the next day's math assignment. If you have history scheduled for 2X/week but there is a 2-part lesson & your kids can't wait to hear the rest of it (happened with us while studying the Trojan war) then the computer will bump the third history assignment into the second slot. You can calculate end-dates at any time so if it's great if you're a type-A, anal-retentive control freak (like me :D).

People have different opinions on the curriculum, but personally I find it very engaging. I believe their first 4 years of history is modeled after SOTW -- at least if follows the time-sequence & you're supposed to keep a history notebook like SWB discusses in TWTM. Many of the lessons (in all subjects) offer optional assignments if your child wants enrichment or needs extra help. I'm thrilled with their phonics program!!!!! We had to slow down for awhile with DS, but now he's trucking right along with it and doing so well. Science is decent. Personally I could go for something a little more experiment-based. I might have to beef that up a bit next year. The topics they cover in science are definitely age-appropriate, and they spend time learning about scientists as well. Art is fantastic! They actually teach your children how to LOOK at art, and then they have the practical application where they try to copy a style. They learn a lot about the artists too. DH does music with the kids because it was just too difficult for me to teach (I have no musical ability whatsoever, and while the program is supposed to be designed so you don't need any, I struggled with it & gave it to DH). The music program seems strong from what I've observed & from what DH has told me. Math is math. It's decent, but I don't love it. LA covers many classical stories, grammar, phonics, handwriting (HWT) and analogies. My first graders already know nouns, proper nouns, verbs, adjectives, subjects, and predicates as well as proper ending punctuation. They've been exposed to many classic stories, they've both made progress with their reading, and I love the fact that they cover analogies since it's something they're going to be exposed to on any standardized test they ever take. It's solid and rigorous, but they have LOTS of review built in so it's easy to revisit concepts that they've forgotten or weren't ready for.

In history & science there are sometimes online stories in the "Reading Room." You have the option to have audio on these which is great if your TV is hooked up to your computer & you're sitting too far away to read the tiny font easily. These 2 subjects also contain computer games for review on occasion. This is a big hit with both kids, but especially with DS.

K12 follows the mastery approach. It looks like a ton of work, but if your child has mastered a concept, you can skip a lot of it and move onto the assessment. If your child is struggling with something you may want to spend 2 or 3 days slowly working through one lesson.

Although the curriculum is expensive, there are ways you can save money. They offer a discount if you pay ahead, and usually have a "sale" where that discount is increased for about a month each year. You can also play with the number of courses you sign up for since it's a 12 month subscription program. Many people will sign up for 4 courses initially (Math, LA, history, music) and will do the classes that are typically scheduled 2X/week (history and music) every day for a semester. Then they will switch to science & art for the second semester. That way you are getting 6 classes, but paying for 4. If you finish up math or LA early and want to move on, just call K12 and have them switch you to the next grade level. Their book lists are online so you can shop around for many of the supplemental books that are needed. If you can find the art books cheaper online, you don't really NEED the art prints or art pages they sell you with the package (you can access them online). I just bought both of my art books for next year on Amazon used for $10 (including shipping) and ended up saving $20. You can find a lot of books on paperbackswap as well, and there is also a yahoo group for used K12 materials. I would not recommend buying the music program used unless you're careful. I did that last year and ended up missing a CD and receiving a VHS tape of the program (problematic since we no longer own a VCR).

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. DH, the kids, and I all love this program. It's not the right fit for everyone, but our family loves it!

We have been using K12 since October and are very pleased. We use it through the virtual charter school where we live, so there is no financial cost to us. My kids are in 6th and 7th grade, and the curriculum has been quite challenging for both of them, but engaging and enjoyable. We are definitely going to be continuing with it next year. The best part is that they are getting all that they need for a complete education, whereas when I was in charge of planning and execution of our homeschool curriculum, there were often gaps (much to my shame...) Feel free to send any more questions my way.

:lurk5:I'm reading this thread with interest because I am to the point of being *so sick* of thinking about what/how to school the DDs. Both are above grade level and I go back and forth between unschooling (see the "delaying academics" thread) to, well, K12 (through CAVA). I can't seem to commit to a way of doing things one way or the other.

Now, an ON topic question :) : How much time could I anticipate the DDs (1st and 2nd grade) to spend every day? How much of that is ON the computer? How teacher-intensive is it at this age?

:lurk5: I am interested in K12 too. :bigear: I have looked at the website, but I am overwhelmed and confused by it.

I am currently using Calvert for my 7th grader. Next year I will be homeschooling two middle school aged kids and need something planned out.

Is K12 planned out for you? I like how Calvert has all the lessons planned out, I know I am not missing anything that way.

I have a new baby and I'm new to homeschooling. I am searching around before I decide what I want for next year.

:lurk5:I'm reading this thread with interest because I am to the point of being *so sick* of thinking about what/how to school the DDs. Both are above grade level and I go back and forth between unschooling (see the "delaying academics" thread) to, well, K12 (through CAVA). I can't seem to commit to a way of doing things one way or the other.

Now, an ON topic question :) : How much time could I anticipate the DDs (1st and 2nd grade) to spend every day? How much of that is ON the computer? How teacher-intensive is it at this age?

I can't speak for 2nd grade yet, but first grade takes me about 3 hours/day with 2 kids. They do everything together except phonics. Math, LA, and phonics are done daily, music is done on the weekends, and we do history, art, and science 2X/week.

Most of first grade is not on the computer. LA and math are mostly seat work. History and science are usually pretty heavy on the computer, but that's mostly you reading the lesson to them. Art is usually partially on the computer (learning the techniques, viewing the art) while the actual art lesson is off the computer.

:lurk5: I am interested in K12 too. :bigear: I have looked at the website, but I am overwhelmed and confused by it.

I am currently using Calvert for my 7th grader. Next year I will be homeschooling two middle school aged kids and need something planned out.

Is K12 planned out for you? I like how Calvert has all the lessons planned out, I know I am not missing anything that way.

I have a new baby and I'm new to homeschooling. I am searching around before I decide what I want for next year.

I used Calvert for K and switched to K12 for first & I like it so much better. Yes, it's all laid out for you like Calvert, but unlike Calvert the schedule updates itself. With Calvert if you were on Lesson 117 and didn't get to history that day, you would have to flip back & forth between lesson 117 and 118. Same deal if your child struggled on one science lesson and needed to spend several days on it. You can easily get lost in the lesson manual. That doesn't happen in K12. If you don't get to something that day, it appears in the next available slot for that subject. Everything is planned out, and from what I understand the lessons are written for the students at about 4th or 5th grade. You can go in, check things, and make sure their work is getting done.

I also use K12 through our state's virtual charter so you can also PM me with any specific questions. I have a 2nd grader now doing 3rd grade Language Arts and K student in 1st grade math and Language Arts. Some days take longer than others although since we just got 3rd grade LA, I don't know exactly how long that will take us as there is a jump in work required from 2nd to 3rd grade in that department. We all like K12 though and our virtual charter and for me, the cons (reporting, testing etc) are outweighed by the positives. Most of 1st and 2nd grade is not on the computer with the exception of history and science, although they also send books to supplement what is on the computer.

This is where things can get a bit tricky with a virtual school doing K12. We used it for Kindergarten, but quit after a month because it didn't take us long to finish, but we (legally) had to "do school' for a certain amount of hours each day and the virtual school teacher (which was CAVA at the time) wanted me to 'lie' about how much time we spent. I wasn't willing to lie. I would call the virtual academy directly and ask flat out how many hours are required for each grade so that you know what you are up against.

Emily, we were very happy with our experience with TXVA and using K12. VERY happy. We used it for about a year and a half. However, my son was much older than your children (7th and part of 8th grades).

Here, the time was 6 hours per day. However, a bit of time, and no doubt more with a younger child, was on less schoolish pursuits. My son did Alice (.org) for some time. He had plenty of P.E. time. Art and Music are easy to get additional time. Reading aloud would be a common one, esp for little kids, etc.

We did NOT lie. We would not lie. But we made a list of appropriate activities that would count as time. There really is quite a bit that does.

More answers: For the younger grades, less time is on the computer. For the older grades it's a good 50%, I'd guess.

It is very planned out. Most people take a little time to get used to the fact that there is enough and different kinds of work for all sorts of learners. Most children don't need all of what is offered for each lesson. But I love how the lesson plan changes based on what you do. If you do extra or fall behind, it'll adjust your schedule within the parameters you (or the school) sets. So cool.

JFWIW, we have considered going back to TXVA (they now have high school). I only wish they had a way to plan to do a 3 yr plan instead of 4 based on our particular needs. Being able to easily do that would probably solidify my jump back to them for ds.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Thanks guys! Since several of you used it, I'm just going to post a few questions here instead of PMing all of you :D

1.) Did you start this after having homeschooled? If so, how did the placement tests work?

2.) The application papers are asking for a current report card. We don't have report cards.

3.) For those who used it and then pulled out, did you go back to homeschooling? Were they okay with that?

4.) How 'hands on' was your helper teacher?

5.) Did you have to ever go to the charter school you used? (The one we would use is about an hour away)

If I think of anymore, I'll ask! I just need to contact someone there too. I did ask about having Logan (my one with Down syndrome) on it and they basically said "No" I was bummed about that.

Thanks guys! Since several of you used it, I'm just going to post a few questions here instead of PMing all of you :D

1.) Did you start this after having homeschooled? If so, how did the placement tests work?

2.) The application papers are asking for a current report card. We don't have report cards.

3.) For those who used it and then pulled out, did you go back to homeschooling? Were they okay with that?

4.) How 'hands on' was your helper teacher?

5.) Did you have to ever go to the charter school you used? (The one we would use is about an hour away)

If I think of anymore, I'll ask! I just need to contact someone there too. I did ask about having Logan (my one with Down syndrome) on it and they basically said "No" I was bummed about that.

I hope you don't mind - I'm going to piggyback here.

6.) Those going through a charter school - do they give placement tests or go simply according to age for grade level? I know my kids are ahead in some areas but not others and I don't want to 'waste' the time spent by just putting them in a grade level.

This is where things can get a bit tricky with a virtual school doing K12. We used it for Kindergarten, but quit after a month because it didn't take us long to finish, but we (legally) had to "do school' for a certain amount of hours each day and the virtual school teacher (which was CAVA at the time) wanted me to 'lie' about how much time we spent. I wasn't willing to lie. I would call the virtual academy directly and ask flat out how many hours are required for each grade so that you know what you are up against.

It is true that virtual charters expect so many hours per day, but generally those hours can be spread out 24/7. Also, related activities can and do count such as watching science and history shows, sports, music activities, and reading. I know in my house my son is engaged in things most of the day that would be considered educational and as a result can count toward his schooling:) Therefore, it is truly not necessary to lie when you count these other related activities as our school instructed us:)

I hope you don't mind - I'm going to piggyback here.

6.) Those going through a charter school - do they give placement tests or go simply according to age for grade level? I know my kids are ahead in some areas but not others and I don't want to 'waste' the time spent by just putting them in a grade level.

Yes they do depending on the school. However, I have heard that K12 is trying to start kids on age appropriate grade level and then making adjustments after the school year starts to ensure that the students are truly ready for acceleration. Every K12 school is different so I would ask your questions in detail. Generally, they only allow acceleration in math and english, but I have heard of others advocating for their kids and getting more:)

Check out these threads and my posts on these threads about K12:)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161758

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148395&page=2

Our K12 virtual school (OHVA) no longer does placement tests (and I had heard this was K12 wide). They do start at the age appropriate grade level and then accelerate from there. In our case, the teacher tested my K student to verify that she needed to move on and ordered the new materials. We came from homeschooling and did not give a report card. I think I just filled out part of an enrollment form that said we homeschooled. They only "advance" your child in LA and math however if you finish a particular subject before spring break (approximately), they will order the next year's materials for you so you can get started on them. You are also given some leeway to test your kids through on your own. For example, we had a science unit that we had recently done on our own. I gave my daughter the unit assessment as she had already achieved all of the objectives for that unit. We assessed out of it and moved on.

As far as how involved the "teacher" is, it depends on the school and the teacher. Our school has very few requirements for actual work to turn in and there are periodic conferences although as they progress through the grades these become more frequent. My daughter's K teacher is a little more involved/managerial than my 2nd grade daughter's teacher.

We are required to do four "face to face meetings" per year. This is not necessarily with our teacher. We are offered many opportunites from picnics to ice skating and standardized testing days. In Ohio at least, they do an excellent job of making sure these are at different locations throughout the state and there are ample opportunities to earn the face to face credits.

I recommend looking for a yahoo group, etc to see if there is a parents group for your state's virtual academy. Ohio has one and it is very helpful in learning from other parents that are actually implementing the program in their homes. I have to admit I have been tempted to scrap it and go back to homeschooling on my own but my kids really love it and they love being part of the school and having the activities etc offered to us. They also really enjoy getting to talk to their teachers. I feel that the teachers as a whole at OHVA are tremendously respectful of the role of the parent and I have been able to have excellent conversations with them about my children's education and they are very respectful of my opinions. I am treated more as a partner than a subordinate and I appreciate that,

We loved it. I used it independently, meaning I was not a member of a charter school. We had 4th through 6th grades. Being independent users, we did not have teachers. The only reason we left was to keep all our children in one program, Keystone National Middle and High Schools, and they do have teachers.