Menu

How much read aloud time do you do?

I like to read to the kids but I just can't do it for hours. My voice starts to hurt and go hoarse. How much time do you spend on reading aloud? I would like to do it for at least an hour broken up throughout the day but would more be better?

I am also going to start getting audio books to help out but... :)

So...fess up...how long each day?

Not including what we do during our school day (which varies depending on lesson plans), we do about 60-90 minutes at night after dinner and before bed. We are working on two books right now -- one was for the girls and the other for ds, but each overheard the other so it's one big free for all.

We make an attempt to read 5 nights out of 7. HTH

We start our morning snuggling on the couch and reading aloud. With one ds entering the wicked years (10 yrs old and into prepubescence) it may be the only time all day he is nice. Argghhh. But that's another thread, right?

Anymahow - each boy is on a different book, but they both listen to both books. Awkward sentence.

For ds8 I'm reading Danger along the Ohio, which fits into his history.

For ds10, I'm reading War of The Worlds. The arcane language is a bit difficult for him to get through alone (heck, sometimes its difficult for me to get through). Both books prompt discussions.

I read one chapter of each book every weekday morning (unless they beg me for another - but no more than 2).

In the afternoon DD5 reads one page of Little House in the Big Woods and I read the rest of the chapter aloud to her. I never go beyond one chapter with her.

ETA: Each child has his/her own book to read independently at night, and for trips we do audiobooks.

I read aloud between 1-2 hours a day. But that doesn't mean all of my children are read to aloud for that long.

Currently I read aloud on two levels. The middle child sits in on both, and the youngest will tolerate the older read alouds. But it feels like I read aloud a lot. I am looking forward to the day when I read aloud for everyone in the same way.

BTW, I often have my husband read aloud. Or I have him listen to my kids read aloud. Because between the two things, it feels like it takes-up a big portion of our day.

The key for me has always been to be prepared (not that I'm always successful!). I learned early on to not read in the middle of the afternoon--I'd fall asleep!

Would more be better?, you asked. That depends on your kids, depends on you. The time together, the interaction, the sharing of ideas, is most important; it's not so much how you are spending that time. Audio books are great but lacking that natural break--where you can stop reading easily and discuss things about the story. (And how would I stop and ask my ds, Now WHAT is happening here? to make sure he's really listening!)

Some ideas:

Have your older children help with the reading.

Read in short spurts.

Be rested and hydrated. What helps your sore throat?

You can work gradually at reading longer.

IF you feel guilty that you're not reading aloud, find an alternative that makes up for what you feel you are lacking--for me, it would be playing board games, or chatting casually while taking walks.

I've rededicated myself to reading outloud to my ds. While we've always had a read aloud going, I found that I let it slide, and it might take 6 weeks to finish one book. For us, reading aloud is better than any table work. I began by forcing myself to read at least 45 minutes at a stretch to him. I'm also juggling working three days a week, so I don't read on the days I go to work. Right now, I've set it to read a chapter a day, no matter what, except that really means that I double up when I'm not working (don't read when I work). We finished a book today after only 2-1/2 weeks!

I read my dd's history out loud to her. She doesn't like the curriculum at all, and this is our compromise. At least I know she's learning, otherwise her eyes would glaze over and she'd get nothing at all.

I also read my ds's history with him (Beautiful Feet books) and his devotions.

To answer your question, I'd guess I read aloud 2 hours a day, 3-4 times a week. It sounds to me like you are doing great!

My kids are high school and late elementary age (see sig) and, even though both are fully capable of reading independently and doing independent work related to their readings, I tend to keep up better with what they are doing, and they enjoy it more, when I read much of their readings aloud. So, I read with my son in the mornings from 6-7:30 and then I read with my daughter from 8-8:30 and again from about 10-12.

I guess I average about 4 hours of reading aloud per day. I have had to work up to it, and many times my throat is sore by the end of it. I used to have jaw pain related to too much reading aloud but as I worked up the time I guess I developed a little more tolerance for it.

I don't guess you'll get many answers like this, particularly from parents of older children, but I would not trade it for the world. I want my kids to have lots of memories of their mama snuggling them and reading together, all the way until they leave the house.

I like to read to the kids but I just can't do it for hours. My voice starts to hurt and go hoarse. How much time do you spend on reading aloud? I would like to do it for at least an hour broken up throughout the day but would more be better?

I am also going to start getting audio books to help out but... :)

So...fess up...how long each day?

Probably 20-30 minutes per school day.

We do about 45 minutes a day. 30 minutes at "nap time" or "quiet time" in the afternoon and then about 15-20 minutes at bedtime. The afternoon reading time is when we read the chapter book we're in to at the moment - now it's "Charlotte's Web" and then the kids get to pick their own. Evening is whatever they choose. They're all still pretty young, so they like the picture books from the library.