Menu

How do you find the right new owner for your horse?

This has been a frustrating experience for me! I've been trying to find a new home for my Arabian mare for the last year, and can't seem to connect with the right person. How do I find them? I've tried the on-line sites, putting ads up at the feed store, and the local paper. No luck.

I've never tried to sell a horse before...I was always on the other end :D.

I'm hoping the timing will be better to try again this spring, because it was very disheartening last fall. And she's a nice horse!

Anyway, any ideas? If not, thanks for letting me vent :tongue_smilie:.

Do you know of any Arabian organizations in your area? Someone with an interest in acquiring an Arabian horse might check with such an organization. are there organizations for the type of riding that she is trained for in you area? That would be another place to leave information. Unfortuinately, my understanding is that the economy has made horse ownership much less popular in the past few years. There just are not as many people who can afford to purchase or care for a horse.

I agree that the market is bad right now and has been for a couple of years. I'm trying to sell a nice purebred Welsh mare who had previously been on my keepers list... and if she doesn't sell in the next week and a half, we're going to have to take her to the local horse auction. I won't get nearly as much for her as she's worth - or what we paid 8 years ago - but... we need the $$ that we can get and my boys are too big to ride her anymore. So, we have to do what we have to do and hope she gets a nice home. I do have someone coming to look at her on Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm just thinking you're asking too much. Horses are dirt cheap. It stinks, but it's true. I paid $4000 for a mare 5 years ago that I can't sell now for $2000. I've got a great, ridable older mare, so healthy and sweet. I tried to sell her for $500 and got NO response. I took her down to $400 and I've got a couple of calls. This mare has Te n Te on her papers! She is awesome. But she is 20 years old and you can get a broke 5 year old for $500. So, if you really have to unload her, you'll have to lower your price or be patient.

The horse market stinks right now. Absolutely stinks. My guess is that you need to price her accordingly if you really want to sell her. Basically in my area, horses are selling for pennies on the dollar. A horse that two years ago sold for $5000 is now selling for maybe $1500. Another way to get rid of a horse is to send it to auction. You won't get much, but you will come home with an empty trailer.

I would never send my horse to an auction and I am so sorry if I offend anyone by saying that. You never know who is going to end up with your horse and it is very likely that it will go to a kill buyer and off to slaughter. I guess I just look at it this way...my horse has given me her heart and just because she can't do what we want/need her to do anymore doesn't mean I take the easy way out and go to slaughter and "come home with an empty trailer". That is so callous. I also look at it like this...everything happens at the right time and you will find a home for your horse when the Lord allows it. If you can hang on to her until the perfect home comes along I would encourage you to do that. I was going to also suggest contacting the local Arabian horse association if you have one near you (even if you don't) Arabians are probably harder to place because not everyone wants one or can handle them, even though they are beautiful and you don't want to give your Arab to just anyone. We thought we had a great new home for our mare and we ended up going and getting her because the lady was not who she presented herself to be. I just wouldn't leave our beautiful girl in the hands of someone who I couldn't trust to take good care of her. So, we have her still and even though she is not able to take my daughter to the level she (my daughter) wants to compete at, we will keep her until that wonderful, loving, forever home comes along. Please don't take your horse to the auction. Also, for Creekland, wow, I can't believe you can't find a home for your welsh pony...did you try listing her on Chronicle?

Also, for Creekland, wow, I can't believe you can't find a home for your welsh pony...did you try listing her on Chronicle?

No. We just found out we were going to need the $$ at the end of last week and came to the conclusion she's one "thing" we can sell that might help bring in some of what we need. I have younger nice show prospects, but without under saddle training, they don't stand a chance. We're on a short time frame as we need the $$ by tax time this month. I don't have a current coggins on her nor is she currently riding (though my middle son got on her today for the first time since once in Dec with absolutely no issues at all). The auction will pull a coggins on her (buyers expense - my vet charges $100 to come out for a coggins).

I put a couple of free text ads for her on Horsetopia and Dreamhorse today. I have one person coming to look on Thursday and had 3 inquiries total, so maybe we can make something work out. If someone puts a non-refundable deposit down, I'll get a coggins. If it's in state, we don't need one to sell - though a barn might require it.

Hubby is a self-employed Civil Engineer and the economy is simply bad right now. Some clients are not paying. Jobs are few and far between. We feel fortunate he still has work, though not at levels that keep us going along with the 19 ponies we have here. Some firms have had to shut down. Then, when a phone call comes with other unexpected expenses... well, one has to do what they have to do. I work part time and have tried to get extra hours. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I have no control over it.

Even if she ends up at the auction, this pony won't go for slaughter. She might go to a dealer, but every dealer I know is in it for the money. They'll make more reselling her to one of their clients than sending her to Canada. That might even be true of the majority of my young stock (we raise show ponies who generally do very well), but, hopefully, I won't have to take the chance with them. Right now I'm hoping to find people willing to train the older ones under saddle in exchange for 50% of the selling price. Money we used to have to send them out into training (and sell from there or the show ring) simply isn't there, so I have 3 and 4 year olds in my pasture eating happily, but they should be learning a job and earning a living (we don't train at 2). I kept hoping spring would be better. So far, it isn't. And it's not just with us, it's with pretty much everyone I talk with.

It's not that many of us aren't trying. There just comes a point where something has to happen. It's not any better for them if we lose the farm.

I am on the other end. I am LOOKING for a great horse and while the economy stinks in our area (22%+ unemployment) I can't find a nice beginner friendly trail horse.

As a buyer I would look for a horse that:

has CURRENT riding (get someone riding her daily if at all possible)

is in good shape

is up to date on farrier, teeth, shots, coggins, etc.

good ground manners

loads well in a trailer and ties well

I wish some of you were closer to me. I can provide a great home and just need to find that great beginner horse for myself.

Another place to list a horse--at least here it is very popular is craigslist That is how many horses are bought/sold in our area=---and the ads are free.

Could you also contact local 4H groups, etc? to see if anyone is looking for horse. Think of where the people would be that would need a horse like her---trail riding groups, 4H, show circles, etc.

I have three good friends in Maryland that may be interested. They are definitely horse women, are friends, live within a few miles of each other. One of them has a walker and something else, and one other has a beautiful ... darn. i'm not a horse person and can't remember what she has....Anyway, all three women are very good to their horses. Oh, I guess I knew more people in Maryland who love horses than I remembered. I guess if you want to pm me some info about your horse, I could contact them and see if anyone is interested in talking to you about it. They all have trailers.

Ottakee is in Michigan, you're in Ohio.

Thanks for the replies! The idea to try the Arabian Assoc. is a good one - hadn't tried that yet.

I've been trying to avoid the auction, but I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing. I've bought 3 there myself (including the registered Arabian), so I know they CAN go to good homes.

I've tried the 4-H... my girls even rode her at some 4-H clinics here last year, but at least last fall nobody was buying. I had her listed for $600 - for an 8 year old registered, sound, healthy, mare - not a single call.:confused: There are a ton of free horses around here right now, and most folks are looking for a dead broke quarter horse if they ARE willing to spend any money. I was the only bidder for the Arabian when I bought her at the auction!

My daughter likes her and rides her, but she also has a quarter-type paint thaht she likes better. I thought I'd be able to ride again, but my old back injury has quickly let me know it's a bad idea, and my riding days are over. I'm sad, because I really like the mare, but reality is what it is.

Anyway, thanks to you all for commiserating with me. Good luck to us all (and our horses)!:)

Ginger - just saw your post - I'll PM you. I would not call her a beginner horse, though, so not a fit for ottakee.

Edited by galtgrl
just saw Ginger's post

I would never send my horse to an auction and I am so sorry if I offend anyone by saying that. You never know who is going to end up with your horse and it is very likely that it will go to a kill buyer and off to slaughter. I guess I just look at it this way...my horse has given me her heart and just because she can't do what we want/need her to do anymore doesn't mean I take the easy way out and go to slaughter and "come home with an empty trailer". That is so callous. I also look at it like this...everything happens at the right time and you will find a home for your horse when the Lord allows it. If you can hang on to her until the perfect home comes along I would encourage you to do that. I was going to also suggest contacting the local Arabian horse association if you have one near you (even if you don't) Arabians are probably harder to place because not everyone wants one or can handle them, even though they are beautiful and you don't want to give your Arab to just anyone. We thought we had a great new home for our mare and we ended up going and getting her because the lady was not who she presented herself to be. I just wouldn't leave our beautiful girl in the hands of someone who I couldn't trust to take good care of her. So, we have her still and even though she is not able to take my daughter to the level she (my daughter) wants to compete at, we will keep her until that wonderful, loving, forever home comes along. Please don't take your horse to the auction. Also, for Creekland, wow, I can't believe you can't find a home for your welsh pony...did you try listing her on Chronicle?

Journey,

I am not trying to start anything, but just wanted to let you know where I am coming from when I mentioned taking a horse to auction...

At my ranch/barn, horses are livestock...not pets. I have one horse out of 15 that I consider a pet. The rest *must* be contributing or my horse business no longer becomes a business, but rather an extremely expensive hobby. I have lots of livestock at my ranch - goats, pigs, horses. Auctions are legit and common means of selling livestock. I don't know the original posters circumstances, but sometimes people can't sell a horse AND can't afford to keep it any longer. I'd rather see a horse go to auction than starve in a pasture.

Have you ever been to a well-run reputable horse auction? I have. Kill buyers will rarely pay over $150-200 for a horse. You have the option of setting a minimum sale price. Set it above that and you can pretty much guarantee that they won't go to a kill buyer. I've also purchased several really good horses at auction and given them good homes. Not all auctions are bad.

Edited by TwinMominTX

I've sold off almost all our horses and kept only my favorites. Last few years I've sold about 16 that I can think of off the top of my head. I made a Xanga sale site and put lots of pics up of the horses. Then I'd advertise on craigslist and refer them to the site. Prices ranged from $750 to $3500.

You've got to find the right person for an Arabian. Check out the endurance market near you. Keep her in top condition and start riding her daily. Get her ready for potential buyers. Check out the AHA like someone suggested. What type of training has she had? Do you "follow" a specific trainer? I've had interest in horses simply because they've been trained using specific methods. If she can trail that's a huge plus. Lots of older women want a good quiet trail horse.

As for the Welsh pony someone mentioned, I can't believe you can't sell her. I've got two that people would line up to pay a fortune for. Does she drive? Jump? What gives here?

Anyhow, if you have enough patience, and market your Arab correctly she should sell. The market is crappy, I did end up just placing three of my two yr olds when dh got sick and I was injured. I didn't have the patience to wait when I looked out in the pasture and saw all those younguns that needed attention they weren't going to get from me. (I do start everything but my Arabians to under saddle work at two, the Arabs get to wait til four or five.)

Here's my "sale" site for you to get an idea of what I did. Our area has horses coming out of everyone's wazoo, but these all sold fairly quickly, and the pictures helped big time. Look at any crappy craigslist ad and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.xanga.com/remuda2007

TwinmominTx...admittedly, no I have never been to a large, well run auction. The ones around here (there is only one really) is not a place I would EVER put my horse, I don't care how bad my situation is. I would rather put her down than take the risk of some fat head getting her and her ending up on someone plate...what happens in between the fat head and the plate makes me physically sick to think about. I will admit that I am not a farmer and my animals are my pets and I love them all so much (not that you don't, but you have them for completely different reasons than I do) so that's probably the difference between you and me!!! Anyway, I hope everything works out for everyone and the horses that need new homes will find perfect ones! Horses are such a blessing but they sure can be a bother sometimes too!

Remudamom has great ideas. GOOD pictures and a well written ad go a LONG ways in selling a horse. Make sure words are spelled correctly as well. Mention things you have done with her--trail riding, shows, clinics, etc. Don't use all capital letters in your ads. Makes them hard to read and often people will just bypass them.

I would say a big key though is regular riding now to get her in shape and remind her of all of her training. I know as a beginner that I am very wary of a horse that hasn't been ridden much lately as I don't have the experience to deal with any issues and trainers won't pay as much for a horse they have to put time on.

As for the Welsh pony someone mentioned, I can't believe you can't sell her. I've got two that people would line up to pay a fortune for. Does she drive? Jump? What gives here?

I may have jumped the gun a little bit on her. Sorry about that. Finances have not been good here and getting news the end of last week that we need to find even more extra budgetary cash - so soon - probably had my mind in a whirl. Heck, my mind is STILL in a whirl. But anyway, I did put two free text ads on Dreamhorse and Horsetopia yesterday at a lower price than I would expect a purebred beginner safe mare to fetch ($2500) and have two potential people coming to check her out, so there's hope.

MY contacts - those I've used to train and sell ponies before - still didn't have much optimism or other suggestions and weren't successful helping us sell her over the winter (suggested waiting till spring, then can't do things that quickly, no beginner riders needing ponies in their stables, etc), so it led to my thoughts of the auction. We may still have to sell her quickly at auction, but there's hope on the horizon first.

As for the mare... she's a nice, safe, calm, walk trot pony that might have also done crossrails prior to coming to us 8 years ago. She showed and was regularly in the ribbons before I bought her. My boys rode her back then, but they are 15 and 14 now and have outgrown her. We've been using her as a broodmare, but didn't breed her last year with the intent on selling at weaning or so. That didn't happen - no one was buying in the fall. The big drawback is she's not in shape... she's been mostly standing in a pasture for the last 3 years or so only having been pulled out for pony rides or the occasional visitor... but we will work on that as much as we can over the next week and a half without making her sore from too much too quickly. She also doesn't like to canter in a ring - I'm assuming from too little training. We never had problems with it on the trail and she canters in the field on her own. She'll ride indoors or out, through woods, water, traffic, etc. She walks right on the trailer. She's a really nice pony - just out of shape.

We'll see what happens. If we had 60 days I feel certain we could have her going along well and ready to sell. Our plan was to send her to a stable to do that this spring. With the unexpected need of more money so quickly... well, time will tell. She's got potential to do well even at auction if need be. My younger stock wouldn't have nearly the chance.

Here's my "sale" site for you to get an idea of what I did. Our area has horses coming out of everyone's wazoo, but these all sold fairly quickly, and the pictures helped big time. Look at any crappy craigslist ad and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks Remudamom! I can see why you have more success selling your horses (besides, of course, that they're beautiful and well-trained, lol). What a nice sales page! Now to see if I can do that...