Menu

Birthday cake ideas needed

My dd is turning 10 and I need ideas for a sheet cake that we'll have at a swimming party (I can put two 9x14 sized cakes together for this). I know the possibilities are endless but if anyone has done anything fun lately please tell me about it!

I would check out www.ediblesincredible.com and other fancy cake designers for ideas.

I saw a cake last week when I was getting cupcakes for dd's birthday party - it was the '100 acre wood' and all the pooh characters. I mention it because it was two sheet cakes, tons of green frosting (not icky green - woodsy, outside green) streams, trees -- think that a swimming pool with water, diving board, pool chairs, inflatable toys and beach balls could be done with much less effort than the 100 acre wood.

Don't forget to show us the finished product! What fun!

My dd is turning 10 and I need ideas for a sheet cake that we'll have at a swimming party (I can put two 9x14 sized cakes together for this). I know the possibilities are endless but if anyone has done anything fun lately please tell me about it!

OK - so here is what I came up with - (I love doing fun cakes)

Your sheet cake, well, you will have to cut from inside the rectangle a pool shape - free form probably a good idea or whatever......that has to be iced blue for the water. The decking around the pool, well you can have fun with that -- pinkish stones, do very light colored frosting, and sprinkly with glitter dust (edible) to give it a 'stone' look - maybe make a 'sand box play area' to the side of the pool - use the dust to fill the sand box. TONS of fun little things at Michaels that you can buy to decorate - pool chairs, beach balls, etc.

Years ago I made a cake for my oldest dd's 10th birthday--it was a pool party.

I used an oval cake pan (any shape would work) and made a 2 layer cake.

I made sugar cookies and cut them out using my 'gingerbread man' cutter. I decorated the cookies to look like girls in swimsuits (if boys will be coming it is easy enough to make them too...)-and 'stuck' the cookies right into the cake just before serving. I used piping gel with blue food coloring mixed in for the water. Gumballs were for water 'toys'. I added a simple border-- it was one of the easiest cakes I ever made. Picture is pretty old--but I think you can get the idea...

232323232%7Ffp8%3B9%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A65%3E37%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32439%3A%3C286338nu0mrj