Menu

Music Masters Series for Composer Study

MelanieM

I recently purchased three CDs from the VOX Music Masters Series to use for composer study, and I'm just thrilled with them! It's an hour of music with narration, covering the life of the composer with samples from some of their works. At $3 a pop, it's a very inexpensive introduction.

We currently have Handel, Bach and Mozart, and I'm adding a few more to my cart for my next Amazon order. I'm thinking I'll choose one composer per month and we can listen to the MM CD and supplement with full pieces from our library and/or personal collection, and then throw in a book or two for any we particularly enjoy.

Is anyone else using this series?

I am using some of these CD's as part of a composer study I am putting together. I just used classicsforkids.com as my timeline of when I was going to study each composer. These Cd's are awesome, I only wish that they had even more composers to choose from.

if you get Levine's "Story of the Orchestra" (you could probably get it from the library), the composers are listed chronologically. Not everyone is in there, but a good sampling.

I just had this book out from the library for a preview -- loved it! -- and for some reason I didn't even think of this. Great idea, thanks! (We're going to purchase it to incorporate into our studies.)

I am using some of these CD's as part of a composer study I am putting together. I just used classicsforkids.com as my timeline of when I was going to study each composer. These Cd's are awesome, I only wish that they had even more composers to choose from.

Awesome! Thank you!

Well, that is most certainly convenient! Thanks so much. :D

Guest Barb B

I love the look of this and always wanted to do classical music but (yes in 10 years) I never have. My problem is - I really want to do the beautiful feet book with 2 kids - ages 7 and 12. Anyone do the beautiful feet study - is 7 too young?

Barb

• 1 month later...
I love the look of this and always wanted to do classical music but (yes in 10 years) I never have. My problem is - I really want to do the beautiful feet book with 2 kids - ages 7 and 12. Anyone do the beautiful feet study - is 7 too young?

Barb

Bumping to see if anyone has an answer to this question; I'm curious, too!

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping to see if anyone has an answer to this question; I'm curious, too!

I am planning to use this curriculum with my 7yo (and 12 and 16 yos) next year. For my 7yo, I am not having her do all the map work and writing assignments. She'll do a summary of each composer (2-3 sentences), but not any of the research assignments in the book.

Thank you for posting this! I had come across the CDs some time ago and forgot to bookmark them (so they completely slipped my mind!). We'll definitely give them a try next year. What a great price!

By the way, we used Story of the Orchestra last year, just the part introducing the sections of the orchestra, and my plan was to slooooowly start working through the composers this year. These CDs will supplement so nicely! :hurray: We also really enjoy Themes to Remember, if you want to look at something else. :D

We love these too -- I just the ones I didn't have, in case they go out of print somehow. The entire series of 18 cds (21 composers, as some are grouped together) costs under $54!

Wanted to add a recommendation -- Those Amazing Musical Instruments with cd. It is a step beyond the meet-the-orchestra books for younger kids, and the cd has classical music selections for each instrument.

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Amazing-Musical-Instruments-Orchestra/dp/1402208251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277652253&sr=8-1

Edited by Alessandra

• 11 months later...

I had *such* a hard time finding these on Amazon yesterday and started to wonder about my (lack of) search skills! Then I finally remembered I started a thread about them way back when I first purchased some. That was much easier to find! So while I'm at it... here's a bump for anyone else that might be interested.

We love these too -- I just the ones I didn't have, in case they go out of print somehow. The entire series of 18 cds (21 composers, as some are grouped together) costs under $54!

Wanted to add a recommendation -- Those Amazing Musical Instruments with cd. It is a step beyond the meet-the-orchestra books for younger kids, and the cd has classical music selections for each instrument.

http://www.amazon.com/Those-Amazing-Musical-Instruments-Orchestra/dp/1402208251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277652253&sr=8-1

Where did you find the entire series for $54? I think we'd love this. Our entire family fell in love with classical music after we got the Classical Kids cd series. Those are fabulous also. We love them!