Menu

What latin program would you suggest?

I was planning on starting latin this year, but financially could not due to how slow my husbands job had been. So I will have a wide range of ages that will be using it. I will have a kindergartener (a preschooler that may or may not participate) a 3rd grader and a 7th grader. Is 7th grade to late to start latin? Is there a good program that could work for all those grades? I would like something that has a DVD (or atleast a CD) to go along with it. Thanks

I'm looking for recommendation on Latin too, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm currently looking at Getting Started with Latin. It could be a good fit for you since they describe it as being for all ages, kids to adults. They have downloadable MP3's. If anyone has used it I'd love to hear their thoughts!

ETA: http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/index.php

7th grade is a great age to start, not at all too late. Separate her from the youngsters and get her a serious program right away, without wasting time. I suggest Wheelock's for her, or something that resembles it.

3rd grader is maybe too young for a heavy analytic approach (she might not be, though - you know her the best). I'd either have her wait a year or two, either find something easy and colorful for her that will cover basic grammar (something along the lines of declensions, present and imperfect and imperatives), have cute short adapted texts and sententiae, and then I'd have her deal with that until she's ready for a heavy analytic approach. A kindergartener, if anything, I'd combine with a 3rd grade sister, or have him passively absorb some of what's going on. But I'd make sure to separate the 7th grader from the rest and get her started on the "real stuff" right away.

I would recommend Latin for Children A. It is geared toward upper elementary (many start in 3rd grade) but you can also learn a lot if you are older. I can attest that forty-something adults can learn quite a lot of Latin from it, so I think it would work fine for your 7th grader. The DVD is fantastic. We did LFC A last year with a 3rd grader and a K'er. My youngest dd loves the DVD and participates in chants, but she does no written work. She's just picking up whatever she can at this point. For your family, I would get a primer A book for the 7th grader and one for the 3rd grader to do with more help from you and then also the DVD. I think all of this is in the basic bundle package along with an answer key (and the chant CD comes with the DVD). Actually you would then need to add in a second primer book. We don't really use the activity book--it's mostly puzzles and my 9 yo is just not a puzzle kid. We were using the Libellus book for translation, but it has been missing since Christmas. You can live without it if money is tight.

Latin for Children fans here. My older DD used it in 6th & 7th grades. Younger DD will start it next year.

After reading another thread about how great Song School Greek is, I bought Song School Latin for my DD10 to get a head start on the vocabulary. She loves it! And she is not an enthusiastic student, so that is saying a lot. Song School is very complementary to LfC so your two older ones could do LfC while your K'er uses Song School.

BTW - Amazon had a great price on Song School.

Edited by amtmcm

I am curious about this answer as well. We used Prima Latina last year and are working through Latina Christiana this year...I am not sure I would recommend either of these. Maybe it is just me, I am learning Latin as we go, but nothing seems to be sinking in. She is only going to be in 5th grade or else I would try Wheelock's. I have heard good things about So You Really Want to Know Latin.

I don't think there is a Lively Latin for Children. There are programs called Latin for Children and Lively Latin. My older son used Latin for Children and learned a lot from it. My daughter is using Latina Christiana and prefers it to Latin for Children. LC is more straightforward and systematic than LFC. I wouldn't recommend Latina Christiana for 7th grade though.

Guest aquiverfull

We will begin latin in the fall, my dd will be in 6th grade and we are going with Latin for Children A. I already have it here and have been looking over it. I love what I see and can't wait to start it. :)

We started out the school year with Prima Latina for both my 5th and 2nd grader and I realized immediately this wasn't a fit for our family. I didn't like the southern accent on the cd (and we're southern!) and the way the lessons were arranged weren't to my liking either. I sold my PL (that's from Memoria Press) and after more research got Latin for Children A and Song School Latin (both from Classical Academic Press). The whole family has been very happy with this. My 5th grader and I are learning together using the dvd's (I bought the whole set used for about $30 - half price) and the Song School Latin book comes with a cd of the songs.

For next year I got Minimus to start out for my younger (he has some LD's and needs to ease into LfC A I think) and am going to do LfC B with my older. I decided to skip the activity book for next year too - my oldest rolls his eyes and sighs over the crossword puzzles and mazes. I think they are cute and would have enjoyed them as a student but..different strokes! lol

We are also doing the Libellus translation book and I like having that kind of practice but it could probably be had elsewhere. This part of the program is fairly inexpensive though.

Lively Latin is also known as The Big Book of Lively Latin. My issues with it were that it is more expensive for getting it printed out if you like having a hard copy (and I do), your other option with LL is just having online access. That is problematic when teaching multiple children. My other concern with LL is that LL2 isn't completed yet, so though LL1 may take over a year to finish currently you are dealing with a partially completed 2nd book.

I haven't tried Galore Park but have heard good things about it. Good luck with making your choices!

I'm looking for recommendation on Latin too, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm currently looking at Getting Started with Latin. It could be a good fit for you since they describe it as being for all ages, kids to adults. They have downloadable MP3's. If anyone has used it I'd love to hear their thoughts!

ETA: http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/index.php

I'm enjoying using this. I don't think you can beat the price. I'm using it with my 11yo and 8yo. Their vocab. memory would be better if they drilled - they only know what they know by doing the 10 translation exercises that go with each lesson. Simple homemade flashcards or chanting endings daily would improve their knowledge, but we are not spending much time which I like.

I know there are Latin Programs for younger children that focus on memory with little to no translation, but I think I would hate doing Latin this way - what would be the point? Translation is fun - it's like working a puzzle. Your 7th grader could go through the book more quickly, or you could slow him/her down and keep them together. Your 3rd grader may do okay if he/she has good logical reasoning skills. A good grammar base is helpful, but honestly my 8yo had never heard of indirect objects or probably some other grammatical terms and he's doing fine.

Hello ~

I am clearly in the minority here :tongue_smilie: but my DD 11, LOVES Prima Latina and the Memoria Press products. Latin is her favorite subject and she is retaining it. I do quiz her over all the terms weekly and have her make flash cards after each lesson. Now for the kicker . . . we LOVE the Southern accent! :thumbup1::rofl::lol:

I respectfully disagree and would strongly urge you not to start with something as demanding as Wheelocks if she has never studied Latin before. DON'T rush it. Start slowly and let her gain confidence then work into a more rigorous program once she has the basics down.

Hope this helps~

Dina :001_smile:

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma

I think Latin for Children would be a good match. It's written so a kid as young as third grader could handle it, but it's not babyish in the slightest. The older kid could go through it faster if it's not enough for him. Hub and I are getting a lot from doing this with the kids.

I'm enjoying using this. I don't think you can beat the price. I'm using it with my 11yo and 8yo. Their vocab. memory would be better if they drilled - they only know what they know by doing the 10 translation exercises that go with each lesson. Simple homemade flashcards or chanting endings daily would improve their knowledge, but we are not spending much time which I like.

I know there are Latin Programs for younger children that focus on memory with little to no translation, but I think I would hate doing Latin this way - what would be the point? Translation is fun - it's like working a puzzle. Your 7th grader could go through the book more quickly, or you could slow him/her down and keep them together. Your 3rd grader may do okay if he/she has good logical reasoning skills. A good grammar base is helpful, but honestly my 8yo had never heard of indirect objects or probably some other grammatical terms and he's doing fine.

:iagree:

I think MY goal here is grammar and translation. I'm reading that LFC is heavy on chants and memorization. Is that true?

Looking also at Latin Primer. I like that it is a 3yr program, but I'm reading that it is heavy on prep for the teacher.

Then there is Matin Latin. 2yrs, gets right into translations and no prep! Liking that! :lol:

I have Getting Started with Latin, Latin Primer II (they didn't have I) and Matin Latin on hold at my library. I'm looking forward to having my hands on copies! There are so many choice and I want to get it right the first time! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the feedback!

I respectfully disagree and would strongly urge you not to start with something as demanding as Wheelocks if she has never studied Latin before. DON'T rush it. Start slowly and let her gain confidence then work into a more rigorous program once she has the basics down.

Hope this helps~

Dina :001_smile:

Ya I had a few people PM me saying that exact same thing. As of right now (because everybody knows I NEVER change my mind :glare:) lol we are looking at Latin for Children and Song School latin.

(yes when I say I NEVER change my mind that translates to its getting deep in here get the boots on :lol:)

We did Prima Latina without the DVD's last year with my 2nd grader and liked it. We went to Latina Christiana I this year with the DVD's and can't stand it. My daughter is totally annoyed my the gal on the DVD because she keeps saying "Um". :glare:

We are considering changing to Latin for Children for next year.

FWIW-the gal I spoke to at Veritas Press liked both programs but felt that LfC was better preparation for Wheelock's. If your goal is to get to Wheelock's you might want to go the LfC route. Of course, I am not speaking from personal experience, just sharing what VP recommended.

Good luck with your decision making process.