Menu

Do you use a Reading program with an advanced reader?

JessaMae

My girls are in 3rd and 4th grade. They are both excellent readers. We haven't done any formal reading program this year. They both read individually (whatever they choose) as well as books that correspond to our history lessons. They also do an English LA's program (one is in R&S, the other Abeka) but we are going to switch to CLE next year. I'm wondering if I should order the reading program as well? How necessary do you think it is? Thanks for any help/direction - this is our first year hsing and I'm still trying to figure some things out! :001_smile:

I know I should as my advanced reader is only in 2nd grade. She is reading at a 5th grade 6th month reading level (last time I tested her in January) but I really havent found a program I like. So I make my own reading units for her. We have learned about fiction, non fiction, historical fiction, and she LOVES non fiction (go figure!!!!) I am trying to make a program for next year that will go along with SOTW 2 and find some sort of reading comprehension activites to go along with it!

We do. My DD is a Ker this year by age, but she is mostly doing grade level work above that. She is reading at about a 4-5th grade level. I chose to continue a phonics/reading curriculum with her as I felt it was important for her to know the "rules" behind reading. These rules help with spelling/writing. I was also an advanced reader, but I was never given reading instruction (or grammar instruction). This really hurt my writing ability.

As far as curriculum...we originally used Sing, Spell, Read and Write. It did the job and she enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say that it was enough phonics instruction. Right now we are using LLATL because it was what we had available to finish out this school year. It is a bit too easy, but she likes the cutting projects, so we are making it work. Next year we will be doing PR. It just came in the mail and I have begun looking through it. It is really great! I think it will do the job in teaching her the phonics rules and grammar that she needs for writing.

I don't do a reading program with my girls. I ask them basic questions about the story line (what is ___ wanting?, what happens next?). As long as they're reading good books I let them go at it. I figure that even if my dd7 is not understanding everything in her reading, her reading is above what I would expect so I cut her some slack.

I found it helpful to listen to SWB's mp3's on teaching writing in the elementary and middle school years. Each one gives and overview of the whole language arts area. She has some really helpful points about literary criticism and novel studies etc. It emphasized the importance of protecting their love of reading. Reading should not be a chore, or something to do to fill in the blanks with in 5 min.

HTH

So how do you know what level to put them on for reading? Both my girls tested in at level 400 for LA - (one will prob move through it faster than the other, but some of what was on the test just hadn't been introduced in her current LA yet.) Do you just put them on the same level as LA (400) or grade level? I didn't see a reading test. What do you recommend?

I don't do a reading program with my girls. I ask them basic questions about the story line (what is ___ wanting?, what happens next?). As long as they're reading good books I let them go at it. I figure that even if my dd7 is not understanding everything in her reading, her reading is above what I would expect so I cut her some slack.

I found it helpful to listen to SWB's mp3's on teaching writing in the elementary and middle school years. Each one gives and overview of the whole language arts area. She has some really helpful points about literary criticism and novel studies etc. It emphasized the importance of protecting their love of reading. Reading should not be a chore, or something to do to fill in the blanks with in 5 min.

HTH

:iagree: I think so many of us homeschoolers feel that education should somehow involve programs, that learning can't be as simple as reading and talking. If you haven't listened to the lectures on writing and literary criticism, please do -- there is so much wisdom in them, and you may come to realize that it isn't as difficult or complex as we tend to assume.

I'm going to use my kids as an anecdotal example yet again. I never used any reading programs with them. Even in high school I don't use Lightening Lit or anything similar. And they are fine. Excellent readers with good comprehension and insight and the ability to write quite well. My younger son and I share and discuss books all the time. The only schoolish thing I do is suggest when one of his opinions would make for a great topic on a paper.

Just read together, let them read independently. Talk about what you read, ask them about what they've read independently. Use the questions from the WTM or the Well Educated Mind as a starting point if you need to. Fill in the blank comprehension questions stifle a love of reading and tend to instill the idea that there are "right and wrong" answers in literature. Let reading be fun!!

I really appreciate all the replies.

Previously, my thoughts were that I don't want to squeeze out their love for reading - but you know I don't want my kids to miss out on anything either! (first yr hser here - can ya tell? lol)

How would I find the lectures some of you have mentioned to listen to?

Thanks again,

CLE Reading is our "ethics" class :) Ds reads well above grade level. (He's six and reads anything you hand him.) But he LOVES CLE Reading 100, and finds the LUs interesting and challenging! It is DEFINITELY NOT just boring comprehension questions!!!

When it first came in the mail, I almost sent it back. Boy, am I glad I didn't! I recently asked him whether we should get CLE Reading for next year, to which he replied, "Definitely! It's my favorite subject!" :svengo:

Except for actually learning to read, I haven't used a reading curriculum for my kids. I figure my 8 yr old gets enough 'comprehension' questions when she answers questions from a history or science text.

:iagree:

Though I will be taking a look at the Royal Fireworks Press book on literary terms after it is released (rumored to be in May).

Aside from some phonics and some early readers I never used a reading program. I have books at different levels and my kids read books at their level. Before the school year I choose a bunch of quality chapter books that I think my son would enjoy and he reads them to me. I don't ask comprehension questions, but sometimes we will discuss what is going on.

HTH

:iagree: I think so many of us homeschoolers feel that education should somehow involve programs, that learning can't be as simple as reading and talking. If you haven't listened to the lectures on writing and literary criticism, please do -- there is so much wisdom in them, and you may come to realize that it isn't as difficult or complex as we tend to assume.

Just read together, let them read independently. Talk about what you read, ask them about what they've read independently. Use the questions from the WTM or the Well Educated Mind as a starting point if you need to. Fill in the blank comprehension questions stifle a love of reading and tend to instill the idea that there are "right and wrong" answers in literature. Let reading be fun!!

:iagree: wholeheartedly.

Previously, my thoughts were that I don't want to squeeze out their love for reading - but you know I don't want my kids to miss out on anything either! (first yr hser here - can ya tell? lol)

Welcome to the journey! If you use the suggestions and study *patterns* from the lectures, they won't miss out. They will learn how to think deeply about their reading, in an interesting way, and they will carry these patterns into their adult reading life.

Or you can just click here.

There are three that begin with the words, "A Plan for Teaching Writing" and then one about literary analysis throughout all the grades. IMO, the four are a package deal - a complete and *interesting, non-burdensome* plan for teaching writing and lit. analysis for all 12 grades.

My girls are in 3rd and 4th grade. They are both excellent readers. We haven't done any formal reading program this year. They both read individually (whatever they choose) as well as books that correspond to our history lessons. They also do an English LA's program (one is in R&S, the other Abeka) but we are going to switch to CLE next year. I'm wondering if I should order the reading program as well? How necessary do you think it is? Thanks for any help/direction - this is our first year hsing and I'm still trying to figure some things out! :001_smile:

I don't do a reading program, but instead a literature program and then a phonics based spelling program to reinforce their reading abilities.

Heather