Menu

Anyone create their own health course?

Yes, I've been thinking about this as well. I'm putting health off for another year, so I just have to teach it once to my 9th and 11th that year and they can both get high school credit. I also thought of a red cross course. Teaching Company has Nutrition Made Clear which looked really interesting. I'm not sure what to do for the s-- and drugs component. Although I may want to do something like I Kissed Dating goodbye, I would still like to go through birth control methods and such and what drugs do to your body and such. I'm not worried about smoking as they watched their granddad die from the effects of smoking and he did more than any sermon I could have preached. I'd love to have any other ideas.

Christine

Not me ---- but a very good friend created her own half credit 'health' a few years ago. She had her boys research a healthy diet and evaluate 2 "trendy" diets based on their reserach. She had each of them plan and prepare a full day of healthy meals and snacks. She had them try out different fitness routines and make a personal health plan. She may have had them do a few more activities, but I don't remember her talking about anything else.

I am planning to do this. I'm not even sure that I will give a credit for it because it seems like something one would expect a parent to cover with her child, but anyway, these are the topics:

Nutrition and cooking, including food safety and use of supplements and herbs

Fitness, including daily physical activity (which I understand would probably be listed separately as PE)

Mental health

Disease (including, but not limited to STDs) and the proper use of drugs, understanding drug information, etc.

How to communicate with and understand the doctor

Alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug use/abuse

Sexuality and relationships

Death and dying

First aid and CPR certification

I'm not even sure that I will give a credit for it because it seems like something one would expect a parent to cover with her child,

I'm with you, it seems like common sense. But a one semester course is a requirement for graduation in the state of California.

I used the book You: The Owner's Maual along with many articles from the health section of the newspaper. My theatrical ds created a public service video on the benefits of coffee for his final project, and my science guy wrote a paper on the differences between viruses and bacteria.

Did you find something online to go by? Did you have your child read certain books and discuss them afterwards?

So far am requiring CPR class and First Aid.

We are also going on a CDC field trip in a few weeks..which will cover VD.

How did you arrange the CDC field trip? I'm in the Atlanta area and I think my dd would find this interesting.

Did you find something online to go by? Did you have your child read certain books and discuss them afterwards?

So far am requiring CPR class and First Aid.

We are also going on a CDC field trip in a few weeks..which will cover VD.

I haven't created a course, but I have picked out some merit badges that my son is to complete:

dentistry

emergency preparedness

family life

fire safety

first aid

lifesaving

personal fitness

personal management

public health

traffic safety

You can look at the requirements here.