Menu

DD6 and "blankie"

My 6 yo PDG has a "softie" that has gone from 18" square to 1 strip 1" wide and 6" long. She uses it to comfort herself to sleep. The problem is, the smaller it gets, the more attached she is to it. It is disintegrating DAILY!

I'm NOT one to take her security blanket away. I slept with stuffed animals and a blanket until I was in Jr. High or High School.

WWYD? Would you work with her to replace it with something different, or try to transition her off of it, which would be VERY dramatic and painful for her? I'm not convinced she is emotionally ready to be without *something*...

I would leave her alone with it. Why put her into a state of emotional distress over it? When she's ready, she'll get rid of it, and if it falls apart completely all by itself before then, at least it wasn't your doing ("fault"), and then you can work with her to find a replacement if she wants/needs one.

We had the same issue... I eventually took a 1 in. x 1 in. square of it and stitched it to the end of a little stuffed animal's tail. She now carries that stuffed animal around as her "comfort" item (she is 8) and still had her "blankie" attached. It was "disappearing" quickly, so this helped and she loved it.

Edited by babysparkler

We had the same issue... I eventually took a 1 in. x 1 in. square of it and stitched it to the end of a little stuffed animal's tail. She now carries that stuffed animal around as her "comfort" item (she is 8) and still had her "blankie" attached. It was "disappearing" quickly, so this helped and she loved it.

what a phenomenal idea!!! i was one who had my "godden" (what i named it as a baby) reduced to rags and taken away from me. i was traumatized and still remember the agony of not having that thing when i needed it. i was three or four, but the memory is still as fresh as if it was last week. don't take it away from her.

I wouldnt do anything! :) My 9 yr still has her blankie, which is a tangled threaded mess! she winds it up in a ball to sleep with it. I actually found another exactly the same but it was brand new so we are attempting to wear it in , we sometimes wrap up Old blankie in the new blankie for the night.

I just do not see any sense in upsetting her by throwing it out. She can keep it for as long as she wants ;)

what a phenomenal idea!!! i was one who had my "godden" (what i named it as a baby) reduced to rags and taken away from me. i was traumatized and still remember the agony of not having that thing when i needed it. i was three or four, but the memory is still as fresh as if it was last week. don't take it away from her.

OH I WILL NEVER TAKE IT AWAY! I just need an idea as to how to replace it...it's not a matter of IF it will be gone, but WHEN it will be gone....I'm thinking it will be in the next few days. This morning she came into my room crying because she'd lost it in her bed. It's just so darn small! I crocheted a little pouch for it, but she doesn't like putting it in there because she can't smell it (which is :ack2: by the way!)

Could you appliqué it to a new blankie?

I should take a picture...it's just SOOOOOOO TINY AND FRAGILE. I don't think it'll work. I could knit a small square and try it...

This is a link to the original blanket. I can't get the picture to save down and post...

post-8131-13535083454887_thumb.jpg

post-8131-13535083454887_thumb.jpg

Edited by BikeBookBread
Added picture

When 7yo ds's original blanket was falling apart, we headed out together to pick out a new one. It sat on his bed for a year or two until he lost the last thread from his old blanket. Ds was able to shift to using the new blanket without too much trauma at that time.

lol, and I'm not allowed to wash blankie either. It changes the smell. ;)

HTH!

LOL This is soo funny! I should post a pic of her blankie.. its truely an unbelievable sight~! ;) We did replace the silky edging at one time, and so now its the silk edge with threads knotted in between! And I keep knotting it because I dont want it tangled around her while she sleeps!

Oh and we cant wash it either!

( now and then I sneak it from her and wash it, and I have to put it in a pillowcase to wash it) ;)

I know someone who did this with a pacifier...but it could work for a blankie ( or any 'lovey')

They took their child to Build-A-Bear Workshop and let their child make an animal - and then when it was time to put the stuffing in - they put the lovey INSIDE the bear. That way - their child can always have it with them.

Edited by mom2jjka

My dd4 had to put her tattered blanket in her baby box. It was knit by my grandmother. However, before doing that we went to the store and she chose a new yarn color (same brand, fiber) that I made a new one out of. It worked for her, as she will always be able to keep the original. However I think it helped that she has always had standby blankets. And her current favorite is a 5" square of flannel from one of her receiving blankets that her sister sewed a hem around.

My other option, if she hadn't gone with me making a new one for her (which she got to watch being made - really cool), was to stitch it to flannel to make it larger and longer lasting.

I would sew the old blanket onto a new blanket. I would try either a machine zig-zag around the edges or all over even criss-crossing all over the blanket. Or I would use embroidery floss to hand sew it.

It seems like the most important thing is to preserve the smell.:tongue_smilie: