Menu

Does anyone have their TV connected to the internet?

I have been considering disconnecting our cable. It would be a better thing for my family overall and I know that most of the shows that I like can be viewed online. However, it wouldn't be very comfortable, when I get a break, to sit and watch a show while sitting at the computer desk. I want to somehow connect our tv and computer so that I can watch the show from the internet on the tv screen. Does anyone have a setup like I am describing? What is involved in making the connection?

I don't have it permanently connected but I can connect my laptop to my tv screen with an hdmi cable.

I do the same. No cable - our decision when we moved back home from the hotel......however, there are shows that I want to watch and I would like to be able to use the flat screen.

Thank you for the idea:) but my snag is that I only have a desktop computer and it's in a different room than the tv. I'm willing to get the wireless modem for the computer if there's a gizmo that you can hook to your tv that will pick up the signal from the computer and put it on screen. Does such a thing exist (and function well)?

I don't have it permanently connected but I can connect my laptop to my tv screen with an hdmi cable.

Same here. But it does require a modern tv. We had to go out and purchase one because our old one (which was fine otherwise) didn't accommodate the input.

May I also put in a plug for the Roku :)? Netflix and Amazon on demand directly to the tv via a tiny box and a remot is quite cool.

Search the forum for the tags "ditching cable" and "roku" thanks to poster RegGuheert.

Same here. But it does require a modern tv. We had to go out and purchase one because our old one (which was fine otherwise) didn't accommodate the input.

May I also put in a plug for the Roku :)? Netflix and Amazon on demand directly to the tv via a tiny box and a remot is quite cool.

Search the forum for the tags "ditching cable" and "roku" thanks to poster RegGuheert.

We are waiting for our new tv to arrive. It should be here tomorrow. We are using a cable, but my understanding is there is a device to plug into a tv that allows you to connect wirelessly.

I googled it, and found this. It is only one example, there are probably other ways to do it.

Edited by Truscifi

Yes, we did exactly what you're considering...

We got rid of cable 3 months ago and bought a desktop computer which is dedicated to our TV. We already had a wireless router, and so just got a USB wireless card for internet capability for the computer. For a more integrated feel, we got a wireless keyboard & mouse, as well as a trackball remote which really helped (but you don't need to do that- it was more user interface). So all in all we spent $400 to get a pretty sweet setup- we watch enough TV/online movies that it was worth it to us to make it easy.

For internet access to the computer, you don't have to do wireless-you could simply run a cable to the TV computer. If you chose to do wireless, you would need to buy a wireless router and receiver/card for the desktop- or get a laptop w/ integrated wireless card. Probably can do router & card for a total of $100 or less.

As per my DH (who is a tech geek) they are coming out w/ options to do what you're saying (gizmo to transmit to TV from computer from different rooms, but practically speaking, consider how inconvenient that will be- for every command you will have to go to another room- pausing, rewind etc). But that depends on how often you will use it.

I hope that helps a little...Good luck!!

Laura

Yes, we did exactly what you're considering...

We got rid of cable 3 months ago and bought a desktop computer which is dedicated to our TV. We already had a wireless router, and so just got a USB wireless card for internet capability for the computer. For a more integrated feel, we got a wireless keyboard & mouse, as well as a trackball remote which really helped (but you don't need to do that- it was more user interface). So all in all we spent $400 to get a pretty sweet setup- we watch enough TV/online movies that it was worth it to us to make it easy.

For internet access to the computer, you don't have to do wireless-you could simply run a cable to the TV computer. If you chose to do wireless, you would need to buy a wireless router and receiver/card for the desktop- or get a laptop w/ integrated wireless card. Probably can do router & card for a total of $100 or less.

As per my DH (who is a tech geek) they are coming out w/ options to do what you're saying (gizmo to transmit to TV from computer from different rooms, but practically speaking, consider how inconvenient that will be- for every command you will have to go to another room- pausing, rewind etc). But that depends on how often you will use it.

I hope that helps a little...Good luck!!

Laura

I already have a laptop that I could use for my tv, but I don't know how to actually connect the laptop to the tv. I have heard that the laptop and the tv have to have the right kind of connectors, but I don't know what they would be? I need one of those tech geeks for a friend, but alas! I don't know any irl. :bigear:

I PM'd you back, but thought I'd repost it here in case someone else wants the same info...

The simplest thing to do is work with what your TV has for input options - VGA input/output is the simplest connection. It might be easiest to google the model number of your TV to get specifics on it if you can't tell what the input/output is.

Our connection is w/ a DVI to HDMI converter because even though our TV is less than 2 yrs old, it didn't have a VGA input.

I'd imagine that any tech person in the av/tv department at Best Buy etc. should be able to help you get the cables, cards, converters needed if you have the model number for your TV (and its compatible) and info on your laptop.

I hope that helps.

I PM'd you back, but thought I'd repost it here in case someone else wants the same info...

The simplest thing to do is work with what your TV has for input options - VGA input/output is the simplest connection. It might be easiest to google the model number of your TV to get specifics on it if you can't tell what the input/output is.

Our connection is w/ a DVI to HDMI converter because even though our TV is less than 2 yrs old, it didn't have a VGA input.

I'd imagine that any tech person in the av/tv department at Best Buy etc. should be able to help you get the cables, cards, converters needed if you have the model number for your TV (and its compatible) and info on your laptop.

I hope that helps.

Thanks! I did get your return pm. Our tv is kind of old, so maybe it won't work for us? I seriously need to find someone local, I think. Is there any chance that the whatever-it-is (signal?) could go from my computer into our very new surround-sound amplifier thingy and then from there, into the tv?

:blushing: Truly embarrassing how little I know about anything technological!

Just to complicate this further, :D our tv has a VGA input but my laptop doesn't have a VGA output, it only has HDMI.

Thanks! I did get your return pm. Our tv is kind of old, so maybe it won't work for us? I seriously need to find someone local, I think. Is there any chance that the whatever-it-is (signal?) could go from my computer into our very new surround-sound amplifier thingy and then from there, into the tv?

Um, I don't think so, not unless it's a home theater system with inputs/outputs for video.

There is a cable that connects our computer to the tv so that when I change the tv to a particular input the computer screen comes up on the TV. I really can't tell you more than that because it is dh's jurisdiction. We have never had cable and we can watch all kinds of things. We use Hulu and netflix instant. It works great for us because the tv schedule doesn't rule our lives. We watch when we want to.

We do this also. We always miss Lost and can watch it on our nice new TV later. Plus, we watch Netflix instant all the time on it. The kids and I watched Wild China when we studied China and it was fantastic. We added the Blue Ray subscription option onto our Netflix and it's a great picture. Our computer is on the opposite side of the wall from our TV but my husband says we can set up our upstairs TV as well. He bought a special cable or something. I don't know what it is. I don't know if I'd like it to be my only option for TV since you couldn't use the TV and computer at the same time.