Menu

Need suggestions on newborn/mother products...

We are in the final weeks of my pregnancy and I'm ready to get things ready for the new little guy joining us. :) I was wanting your wise suggestions on some newborn/mother products so that I don't buy and then find out there was something better out there. Also, it's been 7 years since we've had a baby and I have nothing and know how much things have changed. Thanks for the help. The list is below.

Please give me your suggestion on where to buy (IRL or online) and your favorite brand/place to buy the following products:

-Diaper bag

-Baby book

-Stroller/car seat

-Nursing pillow/helper

-Nursing wrap/cover

-Breast pump (is there another one besides Medela. they are so expensive!)

-nursing bras

I haven't noticed very many other people doing this but I like using a back pack as a diaper bag. A one-shouldered bag tends to fall off when I'm caring for my little ones. Another advantage is that my back pack offers more room than any diaper bag I've ever had.

I love my Moby Wrap. I actually have a Moby D, which has an extra strip of fabric in the middle to help keep the wrap more snuggly tight. I was very afraid of these at first but once I tried it out I loved it.

ETA: Oops, I read your nursing wrap/cover as a baby carrier. That's what I get for just scanning the list. I still highly recommend getting a baby carrier.

I haven't noticed very many other people doing this but I like using a back pack as a diaper bag. A one-shouldered bag tends to fall off when I'm caring for my little ones. Another advantage is that my back pack offers more room than any diaper bag I've ever had.

I love my Moby Wrap. I actually have a Moby D, which has an extra strip of fabric in the middle to help keep the wrap more snuggly tight. I was very afraid of these at first but once I tried it out I loved it.

ETA: Oops, I read your nursing wrap/cover as a baby carrier. That's what I get for just scanning the list. I still highly recommend getting a baby carrier.

Thank you. No, that's okay about recommending the wrap. I definitely want a wrap or a carrier. I've heard about the Moby a lot, so it must be a really good one. All those wraps look so complicated to use and it scares me away from them. I'm not overwhelmed by the Baby Bjorn. Are the wraps that complicated? I like the idea of a backpack too. Thanks again.

Our next one is coming in 4 weeks, so I'm the same place. Here's my plan so far:

I'm using a backpack for a diaper bag (probably Spider-Man so my 7yo will carry it:tongue_smilie:).

We got a Graco Snugride 35 for a car seat. This one has a base, so I can get it in and out of the car, but it is supposed to be heavy. It can go on our Graco stroller, but I usually have too many littles for a stroller/cart when shopping. I'm just going to use a Moby wrap to carry baby around when we're out and take the seat into the house to strap baby in before going outside. I've also heard really good things about the Chico? Keyfit car seat for infants.

Boppy pillows are good for nursing, but I would get the optional water-proof cover to go on it. That way you don't have to wash the whole pillow whenever baby spits up on it.

You can actually use a Moby to nurse discreetly, but otherwise I'd just stick to a light blanket. A cheap option would be to put some velcro at the corners of a blanket to actually fasten it around your neck, if that makes you more comfortable.

I already have Medela, but I also have a Avent hand pump. Do you know you need a pump? If not, I'd wait until you need one before you spend the money on one.

And I usually just buy a bunch of those nursing tanks that Target sells, instead of nursing bras. They're inexpensive. And at home I can wear those without needing anything else. When we go out I just throw a shirt on over them.

The car seats, Boppy, Moby and pumps are easily found at Babiesrus, if you have one. I went and bought something cheap, because each time I go they give me a coupon for 30% off. Then I go back for each bigger ticketed item. Anyway, that's my plan!:)

Ameda Purely Yours Breast electric duel Pump works well for me I bought the pump on ebay i did search awhile for a good deal as well as a next to new pump. I then went to the pumps web site and ordered brand new tubbing. If you can get the carry bag.

-Diaper bag

-Baby book Dr Sears... really ...he's the bestest!!)

-Stroller/car seat McClaren is my pick, if not with another carseat stroller combo... You can sometimes pick them up used. They are a very nice foldable stroller.

-Nursing pillow/helper I didn't really use these much, but a Boppy with a cover works :)

-Nursing wrap/cover I don't cover, but if I did... I'd cover under... not over... I think these are actually more modest... and they call attention to yourself... less... http://www.tendercargo.com/catalog/The-Belly-Hugger.html

-Breast pump I prefer the Avent... Not expensive... available many places including Target

-nursing bras I got my favorite one... Anita.com My style was 5075 412... at least that's what's on it. Very comfy

You forgot the cloth diapers thing :) http://www.tendercargo.com/catalog/Bummis-Cloth-Diapering-Starter-Kit.html

Looks very nice. I like the wraps, and I'm sure that the diaper is of good quality materials....

:)

Edited by NayfiesMama

Our next one is coming in 4 weeks, so I'm the same place. Here's my plan so far:

I'm using a backpack for a diaper bag (probably Spider-Man so my 7yo will carry it:tongue_smilie:).

We got a Graco Snugride 35 for a car seat. This one has a base, so I can get it in and out of the car, but it is supposed to be heavy. It can go on our Graco stroller, but I usually have too many littles for a stroller/cart when shopping. I'm just going to use a Moby wrap to carry baby around when we're out and take the seat into the house to strap baby in before going outside. I've also heard really good things about the Chico? Keyfit car seat for infants.

Boppy pillows are good for nursing, but I would get the optional water-proof cover to go on it. That way you don't have to wash the whole pillow whenever baby spits up on it.

You can actually use a Moby to nurse discreetly, but otherwise I'd just stick to a light blanket. A cheap option would be to put some velcro at the corners of a blanket to actually fasten it around your neck, if that makes you more comfortable.

I already have Medela, but I also have a Avent hand pump. Do you know you need a pump? If not, I'd wait until you need one before you spend the money on one.

And I usually just buy a bunch of those nursing tanks that Target sells, instead of nursing bras. They're inexpensive. And at home I can wear those without needing anything else. When we go out I just throw a shirt on over them.

The car seats, Boppy, Moby and pumps are easily found at Babiesrus, if you have one. I went and bought something cheap, because each time I go they give me a coupon for 30% off. Then I go back for each bigger ticketed item. Anyway, that's my plan!:)

Thank you so much. Very helpful!

-Diaper bag

-Baby book Dr Sears... really ...he's the bestest!!)

-Stroller/car seat McClaren is my pick, if not with another carseat stroller combo... You can sometimes pick them up used. They are a very nice foldable stroller.

-Nursing pillow/helper I didn't really use these much, but a Boppy with a cover works :)

-Nursing wrap/cover I don't cover, but if I did... I'd cover under... not over... I think these are actually more modest... and they call attention to yourself... less... http://www.tendercargo.com/catalog/The-Belly-Hugger.html

-Breast pump I prefer the Avent... Not expensive... available many places including Target

-nursing bras I got my favorite one... Anita.com My style was 5075 412... at least that's what's on it. Very comfy

You forgot the cloth diapers thing :) http://www.tendercargo.com/catalog/Bummis-Cloth-Diapering-Starter-Kit.html

Looks very nice. I like the wraps, and I'm sure that the diaper is of good quality materials....

Thank you. I like that website. I'm also glad to hear from someone who has used an Avent pump. You never know about the ones in the stores. I know Medela is good, but wonder about the others.

I had an expensive Ameda pump and always did better with the Avent hand pump. I found it faster and I got more milk out of it.

I like the diaper bags from Lands End which I find very durable. There is a great book called Baby Bargains which comes out periodically in new editions and I found the reviews of items in it very helpful.

Are you doing the cloth diaper thing? I really like Bummis Super Whisper Wraps too, but I prefer the prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers (they're wider). I usually skip the infants and make my newborns deal with the extra bulk of the smalls. I also have bigger babies though, so they'd outgrow newborn size too fast to be worth the cost.

Are you doing the cloth diaper thing? I really like Bummis Super Whisper Wraps too, but I prefer the prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers (they're wider). I usually skip the infants and make my newborns deal with the extra bulk of the smalls. I also have bigger babies though, so they'd outgrow newborn size too fast to be worth the cost.

No, we're not using cloth diapers. I know many people that do. I'll pass along your suggestion to them. Thanks.

-Diaper bag

Now that's really cool, I always just wear a tanktop under my shirts for just this purpose.... but I like this.

Do you want a bassinet/cradle/basket or something to put the baby in as you're moving around the house...

Now that's really cool, I always just wear a tanktop under my shirts for just this purpose.... but I like this.

Do you want a bassinet/cradle/basket or something to put the baby in as you're moving around the house...

Yes, I have that item already. :) Thanks.

Congratulations! I know how you feel. When my DS was born last year, there were six years between him and my youngest DD. I was surprised at how much had changed in that time. I don't have suggestions for every item on your list; I'll just list the ones I feel strongly about.

-Stroller/car seat-I highly recommend the Graco SafeSeat. It had great reviews at the time, and the weight and height limits are higher than standard infant seats. My son used it a little over a year, which was much longer than the time it took my older children to outgrow their infant seats. The only negative I can think of is that the infant seat is bigger and therefore heavier.

-Nursing pillow/helper-All I've ever used is a Boppy. I bought a Boppy look-alike at Wal-Mart for $20 that functioned the same.

-Breast pump- I didn't need to pump daily. The Avent Isis was a good manual pump that I could use to pump the occasional bottle. I was able to get 3-5oz in about 15 minutes. Not bad when I needed to leave the baby for a couple of hours.

One product that I discovered with my son is Burt's Bees baby shampoo and wash. I bought a starter kit from Target that included the shampoo/wash, diaper rash ointment, baby lotion, baby oil, and I think a packet or two of powder. I didn't care much for the scent of the lotion, but the baby shampoo/wash is awesome. Only a small amount is needed to get a good lather. My son was 6 months before I needed to replace the bottle. I just bought a fourth bottle a few weeks ago when he was 16mo old.

Finally, I love this product:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3211997

Cindy

I used a baby blanket as a nursing cover. I don't like using a nursing pillow, and I am sorry I wasted $20 on one. You can go to a store and just pick out the baby book, stroller, and diaper bag you like. Ditto with bras. Shop at a store like Kmart.

I did get some bad disposable nursing pads. They are pads that stay in your bra to catch leaks. Some of them stuck on and others had gell pellets leaking out of them. I like to buy the washable kind of breast pads.

I used a baby blanket as a nursing cover. I don't like using a nursing pillow, and I am sorry I wasted $20 on one. You can go to a store and just pick out the baby book, stroller, and diaper bag you like. Ditto with bras. Shop at a store like Kmart.

I did get some bad disposable nursing pads. They are pads that stay in your bra to catch leaks. Some of them stuck on and others had gell pellets leaking out of them. I like to buy the washable kind of breast pads.

Thanks for mentioning about the nursing pads. I've seen some different ones and thought about trying them, but I'm glad to hear your experience before I buy.

Congratulations! I know how you feel. When my DS was born last year, there were six years between him and my youngest DD. I was surprised at how much had changed in that time. I don't have suggestions for every item on your list; I'll just list the ones I feel strongly about.

-Stroller/car seat-I highly recommend the Graco SafeSeat. It had great reviews at the time, and the weight and height limits are higher than standard infant seats. My son used it a little over a year, which was much longer than the time it took my older children to outgrow their infant seats. The only negative I can think of is that the infant seat is bigger and therefore heavier.

-Nursing pillow/helper-All I've ever used is a Boppy. I bought a Boppy look-alike at Wal-Mart for $20 that functioned the same.

-Breast pump- I didn't need to pump daily. The Avent Isis was a good manual pump that I could use to pump the occasional bottle. I was able to get 3-5oz in about 15 minutes. Not bad when I needed to leave the baby for a couple of hours.

One product that I discovered with my son is Burt's Bees baby shampoo and wash. I bought a starter kit from Target that included the shampoo/wash, diaper rash ointment, baby lotion, baby oil, and I think a packet or two of powder. I didn't care much for the scent of the lotion, but the baby shampoo/wash is awesome. Only a small amount is needed to get a good lather. My son was 6 months before I needed to replace the bottle. I just bought a fourth bottle a few weeks ago when he was 16mo old.

Finally, I love this product:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3211997

Cindy

Thanks for all the info. What is the frog washcloth exactly? I read about it, but still don't understand what it's used for. Does it cover the baby so they don't get a chill and double as a washcloth?

I used a regular pillow. I think it depends a bit on your height; I think women with a shorter torso may have less need for this. I found a small foot stool helped quite a bit to promote good posture. You could use a stepstool for little kids for this, I think. I also think nursing bras may make more of a difference for more busty ladies. Some are more able to use soft type of bras for the "over and out" lift maneuver, while others wouldn't necessarily find these supportive enough.

I never really liked any of these, although I felt they were a "must have" item. Did you ever find any that actually absorb? The washable kind I used were only good for the odd drop, and left me looking lumpy in the front, if you know what I mean. Also some of the disposable ones have plastic, which I don't think is good for air circulation.

I have a short torso with less than perky books, so I guess that is why I didn't need a Boppy. Ha!

I used Gerber and Avent (I think) washable nursing pads. They did need to be changed if there was a lot of leakage. The disposable ones with plastic held a lot of milk in, but I didn't think that was too healthy for the books to marinate in milk. The pads can look frumpy, I know. You need to position the pads well and not wear smooth form fitting tops.