Menu

Favorite history text or spine for 6th & 8th grades? Also, Lit for 6th?

profmom

We have enjoyed TOG, but I may consider a history text (or spine + supplemental reading) for next year, if there are good ones for 6th & 8th grades. I don't mind if the grades aren't covering the same time period, but, ideally, it would cover Year 4. My kids think they'd like to have one main text all year, and this might work better with the rest of the curricula I'm considering for next year.

IF we didn't go with TOG, we'd also need a plan for 6th grade literature, so feel free to offer any suggestions there too.

:)

By Year 4 you mean the years 1850 to present day, right? We're using Joy Hakim's History of US volumes 5 through 9 as a spine, with these supplemental texts:

Civil War for Kids: A History with 21 Activities by Janis Herbert

A Nation Torn: How the Civil War Began by Delia Ray

Two Miserable Presidents by Steve Sheinkin

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (illust. by Robert Ingpen)

Theodosia and the Serpants of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Mill by David Macaulay

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Author Conan Doyle

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkein

The Making of America by W. Cleon Skousen

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

These aren't in chronological order, for what it's worth. :)

...IF we didn't go with TOG, we'd also need a plan for 6th grade literature, so feel free to offer any suggestions there too.

We've used and like Lightning Lit 7 for 6th grade. Ds has enjoyed all of the books (so far -- we still have one or two to go), and I feel that he has learned. But it's fairly light (in terms of quantity of reading and writing), so it's easy enough to layer on top of a history program that includes a lot of supplementary reading and writing.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought K12 Human Odyssey is only Ancient History/World History? And not any American History?

There are three volumes that cover all the way to the present, so I think it is more like SOTW in terms of covering American history---it's done in the context of world history. K12 uses it for 7th and 8th grades, with 5th and 6th grades covering American history using the Hakim Story of the US books.

I've gotten the first volume of Human Odyssey so far for next year (5th grade). At this point, I'm planning to do what I have done with the first four years---use the world history as a spine and heavily supplement the American portions with something else. So I am looking to use Human Odyssey as our main spine with the Hakim Story of the US books added in at appropriate places. It will mean some creative breaking up of the Human Odyssey (vol. 1 is prehistory to 1400, vol 2 goes to 1914 IIRC, then vol. 3 to the present).

Edited by KarenNC

There are three volumes that cover all the way to the present, so I think it is more like SOTW in terms of covering American history---it's done in the context of world history. K12 uses it for 7th and 8th grades, with 5th and 6th grades covering American history using the Hakim Story of the US books.

I've gotten the first volume of Human Odyssey so far for next year (5th grade). At this point, I'm planning to do what I have done with the first four years---use the world history as a spine and heavily supplement the American portions with something else. So I am looking to use Human Odyssey as our main spine with the Hakim Story of the US books added in at appropriate places. It will mean some creative breaking up of the Human Odyssey (vol. 1 is prehistory to 1400, vol 2 goes to 1914 IIRC, then vol. 3 to the present).

So if you had a 6th grader, you could cover from prehistory to the present including American History in Volume 3, in three years prior to high school?

ETA: I do not see Volume 3 anywhere. Also, is there samples of the text anywhere(Other then the sample lessons). And can you buy this anywhere else(like on Amazon) then K12? It says $99.00.

Edited by dancer67

So if you had a 6th grader, you could cover from prehistory to the present including American History in Volume 3, in three years prior to high school?

Well, American history would come in during vol. 2, since vol. 3 starts with 1918 :). I suppose you could----it would just be less in-depth than if you spread it over 4 years. k12 uses the third volume in high school rather than middle school.

Here's how they're used in k12 https://ecomm.k12.com/ecommerce/public/index.xhtml

THE HUMAN ODYSSEY VOLUME 1: PREHISTORY THROUGH THE MIDDLE AGES

K12's The Human Odyssey series puts the story back in history with a gripping narrative of adventure, struggle, and triumph, helping us understand where we have been, where we are now, and where we might be headed. The first volume begins the odyssey by exploring the development of civilization across a twelve-thousand year span, from the Ice Age to the Middle Ages, from cave paintings to stained glass windows, from crude huts to Gothic cathedrals. Beautifully illustrated with images, diagrams, maps, and charts in full color. Full glossary, pronunciation guide, and index. This volume serves as the text for the course Intermediate World History A: From Prehistory Through the Middle Ages.

THE HUMAN ODYSSEY VOLUME 2: OUR MODERN WORLD, 1400 TO 1914

In Volume 2, the odyssey continues in 1400 with the rediscovery of classical Greece and Rome during the Renaissance, and moves through major developments in Islamic and Asian cultures into the great Age of Exploration. The final half of the volume surveys the democratic and industrial revolutions that would see the birth of new nations and new ways of life, leading to the brink of World War I. Full-color images, diagrams, maps, and charts throughout. An appendix of geographic terms and concepts augments an atlas, glossary, pronunciation guide, and index. This volume serves as the text for the course Intermediate World History B: Our Modern World, 1400 to 1917.

THE HUMAN ODYSSEY VOLUME 3: FROM MODERN TIMES TO OUR CONTEMPORARY ERA

In Volume 3, the complex 19th century political landscapes of Asia and Europe set the stage for the dramatic third episode in the odyssey, in which the Great War and the Russian Revolution give way to churning century of even greater war, uncertainty, and economic turmoil. Science heats up as the Cold War freezes international relations; and major new political hot spots develop even as humanity reaches out into space. The digital information revolution changes the very way we conceive the human odyssey at the gateway to the 21st century. Full-color images, diagrams, maps, and charts throughout. An appendix of geographic terms and concepts, atlas, glossary, pronunciation guide, and index are included. This volume serves as the text for the courses HST202: Modern World Studies - Core, HST203: Modern World Studies - Comprehensive, and HST 204: Honors Modern World Studies.

Karen, that is exactly what I plan to do. My kids were in school in the early years and for the first two years they were home, I stuck to the ps schedule. I have no desire to devote yet another entire year to US history. The youngest has the facts and now I want him to see and think about the U.S. in the world context. More along the lines of, "What causes a country to rebel against it's leader?" "Why are some rebellions successful and some are not?" "Are the outcomes always the same as what the parties anticipated?"

ETA: I do not see Volume 3 anywhere. Also, is there samples of the text anywhere(Other then the sample lessons). And can you buy this anywhere else(like on Amazon) then K12? It says $99.00.

Dancer, we are covering prehistory to the present including American History during 6th -8th grade. I will spend considerably less time on the US portion for two reasons: 1) My ds is fairly well-versed in the facts-now we'll cover the major concepts 2) If he returns to ps for hs, he will be required to take American Studies along with Government. For us, it would be better if we had four years, but we don't.

The $99 from K12 I believe gets you the student text book, a teacher's manual and a student manual. You can get all of those used at Amazon. Let me warn you though lol. About 2 months ago, there were several K12 Human Odyssey threads. And when I went to buy a book, they were flying off the shelves literally. I sat here and clicked reload and a book was now gone from the used listings. I answered the phone, came back 5min later and hit refresh and another book was gone...and then another. I then found one on Half.com and ordered it immediately only to find 4 days later that they had the same book listed at amazon as well and sold it there so they refunded my money. So the super cheap copies are gone. The used copies that are left are only about $10 cheaper than a brand new one. IF you buy only the book from K12, the Human Odyssey vol 1 is $65 + $5 shipping. Volumes 2 and 3 are $75 each. I didn't find any vol3 at a good price and the ones that came up cost more than the K12 price. If you click on textbooks at K12, you'll find the prices I listed above. If you click through another link, you get the $99 price which I how I ended up ordered a used book which was only $5 cheaper than a brand new one. That order fell through b/c the seller never shipped it, wouldn't answer emails, and finally have waiting 2 months Half.com has given me refund. I ordered from K12 and it shipped the same day and I got it 3-4 days later. I picked up the teacher's manual and student manual for under $15 for both through Amazon. But those are now more expensive as well.

hth,

Capt_Uhura

The $99 from K12 I believe gets you the student text book, a teacher's manual and a student manual. You can get all of those used at Amazon. Let me warn you though lol. About 2 months ago, there were several K12 Human Odyssey threads. And when I went to buy a book, they were flying off the shelves literally. I sat here and clicked reload and a book was now gone from the used listings. I answered the phone, came back 5min later and hit refresh and another book was gone...and then another. I then found one on Half.com and ordered it immediately only to find 4 days later that they had the same book listed at amazon as well and sold it there so they refunded my money. So the super cheap copies are gone. The used copies that are left are only about $10 cheaper than a brand new one. IF you buy only the book from K12, the Human Odyssey vol 1 is $65 + $5 shipping. Volumes 2 and 3 are $75 each. I didn't find any vol3 at a good price and the ones that came up cost more than the K12 price. If you click on textbooks at K12, you'll find the prices I listed above. If you click through another link, you get the $99 price which I how I ended up ordered a used book which was only $5 cheaper than a brand new one. That order fell through b/c the seller never shipped it, wouldn't answer emails, and finally have waiting 2 months Half.com has given me refund. I ordered from K12 and it shipped the same day and I got it 3-4 days later. I picked up the teacher's manual and student manual for under $15 for both through Amazon. But those are now more expensive as well.

hth,

Capt_Uhura

Do you have a link for the $99 price? Is this per volume and without having to register for the online school course at a monthly fee? I found the textbook for vol. 1 used locally, got the teacher guide and student pages from Amazon (note that it is not their complete course as there is an online component you don't get---so far looks like mostly assessments). I am still on the lookout for vol. 2 and 3.

Yikes sorry for the poor grammar in my post above....entire words are missing. :001_huh: I was in a hurry.

Here's the link for the $65 vol1 and $75 vol 2 and 3. https://ecomm.k12.com/ecommerce/public/index.xhtml

I'm assuming you can just buy the $99 set which includes textbook, teacher's manual and student manual. Here's the link. https://ecomm.k12.com/ecommerce/public/coursePricingDetails.xhtml?cid=60667

HHmm it requests a payment option when I try to add to cart. Now that I think of it, I spoke w/ a K12 agent. He did lie to me however. He told me that I could only get the HO vol 1 if I signed up for the course. And then after a month, cancel. WHen I tried to add the $99 kit to my cart, it wouldn't saying I needed a purchase option, once of which is pay by the month for $29.95. But you can buy just the books at the link above and then the teacher's manual and student manual used.

We have not really focused on any history at all. We were doing it very "relaxed". Now I want to start ramping it up.

I think it is very important to learn as much as we can about US History. But I ike the idea that it also incorporates World History as well.

I see now that they cover the 3rd volume in high school. But, could you start Volume 2 in 6th grade, and finish up volume 3 at the end of 8th?

(We do not want to do the ancients). Taking three years to do 2 volumes?

I apologize if I may have repeated myself and you answered that question.

I also do not see anywhere, samples of inside this text. Are there samples of inside the texts anywhere?

I ordered on Matroshyka and others recommendation who seem to have a similar philosophy and/or use other programs that I like. Then, my friend ordered hers and my order was canceled and I got to read hers when it arrived. Do you have a friend to bully, uh convince, to buy it so you can look at it first? That tactic has worked very well for me. My friend is more impulsive than I. :lol:

I ordered on Matroshyka and others recommendation who seem to have a similar philosophy and/or use other programs that I like. Then, my friend ordered hers and my order was canceled and I got to read hers when it arrived. Do you have a friend to bully, uh convince, to buy it so you can look at it first? That tactic has worked very well for me. My friend is more impulsive than I. :lol:

Oh how I wish!!!

I also do not see anywhere, samples of inside this text. Are there samples of inside the texts anywhere?

I don't remember who posted them but in a thread from a couple months ago someone on these boards scanned in the TOC and a couple pages of vol 1. If you do a search on k12 Human Odyssey you'll probably find it.:)

I ordered it after reading that thread and I just love it! It's like SOTW kicked up a notch for the logic stage! (We're using Vol 1 for Ancients this year (just Greece and Rome, I was unhappy with what we used previous to that and then found k12's HO) and will continue with Vol 1 for Middle Ages next year).

HTH

Where can I see samples of this? Amazon doesn't even have reviews.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there aren't samples. You're just going to have to trust me (only joking!). I ended up buying a used copy of the first volume, but I think that K12 has a decent return policy.

As for American history, I like to use A History of US in conjunction with the K12 series.

Can I recommend something completely different than what has been mentioned so far?

I think if I were to do something like you are contemplating, I would seriously look into a BJU History text. BJU has a new edition of their 8th grade American Republic Heritage Studies. I have heard nothing but good about the older version (which is also still available), and have been hearing nothing but good about all of BJU's new revised books whether they be history, math or reading.

BJU will give you history with a Christian worldview, which may or may not be to your liking. And I see no reason why it could not be used with 6th and 8th grade. Here is a sample of the new 3rd ed. if you'd like to have a look-see (scroll down): http://www.bjupress.com/product/243246?path=3535&samplePage=1#lookInside

I have also oftentimes thought BJU history texts would be great for outlining as well. ;)

ETA: Wanted to add a sample of the TE for you as well. I like how BJU's TE's give so many little tidbits of things to do and/or talk about and objectives for each chapter, etc. http://www.bjupress.com/product/252171?path=5258&samplePage=17#lookInside

Edited by Melissa in CA

I see now that they cover the 3rd volume in high school. But, could you start Volume 2 in 6th grade, and finish up volume 3 at the end of 8th? (We do not want to do the ancients). Taking three years to do 2 volumes?

Volume 1 covers prehistory to the 1400s, so you'd probably want to get that and just skip the ancient parts. If you just use volumes 2 & 3, you would only be covering 1400-2000.

If you want more emphasis on American history, an alternative way to do it would be:

Yr 1: K12 vol. 1, Prehistory to 1400

Yr 2: K12 vol. 2, 1400 to 1914

Yr 3: in-depth study of American history up to WWI

Yr 4: K12 vol. 3, which covers US and world history from 1914 to the present.

This is similar to what I'm currently doing/planning, although I'm mostly putting together my own curriculum for Ancients through Renaissance. However, when my DD goes through the same rotation 4 years from now, I will probably just use the first two K12 volumes and let her do them fairly independently.

Jackie

Thanks again for your responses!

Melissa, I like your idea, and I've looked at BJU (and Abeka). The trouble is that we're using TOG 3 this year, which goes up to 1900. I'm ok with backing up to 1850 if need be, since many classical year 4 programs start there, but I don't feel I can go back to Pilgrims. My kids haven't had a good study of the 1900s yet -- we had a baby last time we were in that time period and ended up skimming the period quite a bit because year 3 had spilled over into the first half of our year 4 year!

We're seriously considering Potter's School's Classical Track for high school for my current 7th grader. If so, her history will be American Pre-Colonial to Reconstruction in 9th, so I don't want to duplicate that. This year I'd like for her to have either modern history or a lighter modern history plus a focus on geography. (I see that BJU has geography for 9th, which I'm guessing would be fine for 8th too.) The Abeka 7th grade text is World History, but it really does seem text-booky, which we're not as used to.

The 3rd volume of the K12 text might fit the time period, but I'd like to see samples first. I'll keep looking into this.

I appreciate the other suggestions as well and have been looking into each of them. I definitely want my upcoming 6th grader to have a literature program that teaches literary terms, plots, etc., whether or not it is tied to history.

Thanks, and I'm still open to suggestions! :)

Edited by profmom

Would the last two volumes give enough American History?

There's very little American history in Vol 2 ~ one chapter on the Revolution, one on the Civil War, and a smattering of facts here and there in other chapters (e.g. a couple pages on the railroads). There is a bit more in Vol 3, because it covers both World Wars, the Cold War, etc., but I would not by any means consider it adequate coverage of American history on it's own. It's very much a World History text, with mention of the US where relevant.

We have also not touched on any in-depth world history either.

Personally (and this is just my own $.02), I don't consider the K12 books to be very "in-depth" world history. They provide a broad overview of world history for middle schoolers, written in a very lively and engaging style. Even though I own all three volumes, I ended up putting together my own curriculum for Prehistory to 1600 or so, because I wanted more depth and because those are the areas of history my DS is most interested in. He is much less interested in modern history, so for that year I plan to just use Vol 3 and supplement it with many of the volumes in Oxford's Pages from History series.

If you really want to cover all of world history, plus US History, in 3 years, then I would either do 2 years of World History (you could pick and choose the sections of the K12 books you want to cover) and a separate year of US History, or do one K12 volume per year and just supplement with a LOT of extra US history materials in years 2 & 3.

Jackie

Thanks again for your responses!

Melissa, I like your idea, and I've looked at BJU (and Abeka). The trouble is that we're using TOG 3 this year, which goes up to 1900. I'm ok with backing up to 1850 if need be, since many classical year 4 programs start there, but I don't feel I can go back to Pilgrims. My kids haven't had a good study of the 1900s yet -- we had a baby last time we were in that time period and ended up skimming the period quite a bit because year 3 had spilled over into the first half of our year 4 year!

We're seriously considering Potter's School's Classical Track for high school for my current 7th grader. If so, her history will be American Pre-Colonial to Reconstruction in 9th, so I don't want to duplicate that. This year I'd like for her to have either modern history or a lighter modern history plus a focus on geography. (I see that BJU has geography for 9th, which I'm guessing would be fine for 8th too.) The Abeka 7th grade text is World History, but it really does seem text-booky, which we're not as used to.

Well, you could just skip ahead in the BJU history text past the pilgrims and such. Then fill in the year with lots of geography, etc. I know that BJU has a student activities book for their history, which I believe has mapping assignments, etc. I don't think you would have a problem stretching the text out with added assignments, books, etc. Sonlight could be used to find historical fiction to add in.

Also, I believe someone mentioned Hakim's books. You could begin in Vol 8 and go through to the end...which would start you in after Reconstruction. Not much there though, so you would need to add in stuff I think.

Another thought, and one my middle ds absolutely loved, was a study on just 20th Century WH. You could use the books from SL's Core 300. SL uses only two history spines and both are visual. When we did the core they had a different text than Visual History of the Modern World, but from my understanding it is similar to what we had/have. Our is a 20th Century DK book. Anyhow, my ds had a worksheet that he filled out for each year studied....he had to talk about any major players, laws, wars, etc. that was going on. He LOVED this, absolutely loved it. Very high interest stuff. We didn't do the whole core, just the history and I picked a few of the lit. But ask him today and he will still say that that was his favorite history curriculum.

As for the K12 history mentioned. I hear it's good? I've no experience with it though. I'm pretty sure I have seen samples of it online(??) But, perhaps I'm wrong. I do believe it's secular, if that concerns you.

I personally like my history with a Christian worldview, though I have used secular as well with no problems. With you coming from TOG I am assuming, unless you use TOG secularly, that you may prefer the Christian worldview as well...which is why I thought of BJU first and foremost. :D

I hope you find something! You could always just do a year of focused geography. I have heard of people who use BJU's 9th grade text for younger grades.

Well, just thinkin' outloud for ya.

I agree about Abeka...too textbooky. :D

OK, done babbling...:lol:

If you like TOG but you just want one spine you could use Spielvogel's Western Civ. (or the other texts...I think Abeka and BJU are also listed) since it's listed as an alternate resource. That way, you'd have your spine but you could still integrate all the other TOG stuff and have it laid out for you.

Carolyn

If you like TOG but you just want one spine you could use Spielvogel's Western Civ. (or the other texts...I think Abeka and BJU are also listed) since it's listed as an alternate resource. That way, you'd have your spine but you could still integrate all the other TOG stuff and have it laid out for you.

Carolyn

Thanks! I wondered about that. I'm so used to looking at the "Primary" reading side that I haven't paid attention to the alternate. I'll look through TOG3 to see how they handle the textbook.