Menu

Do you edit their creative writing?

*anj*

I'm not talking about assigned writing, I mean writing for fun.

Dd8 just presented me with a 6 "chapter" story that she wrote. It is really pretty interesting and charming. The problem is that she has several misspelled words, and some grammatical errors (some sentences that didn't begin with capitals, sometimes she uses quotation marks, sometimes not.) I want to just appreciate the story for what it is, especially since she just did it for fun, but I'm also feeling like she should correct the errors.

What do you do in that situation?

I would not, no way. But that's just my attitude toward writing in this house, thanks to A. Pudewa at IEW.

He says let them concentrate on writing as one subject and grammar/spelling as another.

I know my son would cringe if I read his "story" and started to point out mistakes. That would probably be the last time I got to see his work.

How about writing those words down when they aren't aware of it as well as the grammar stuff and "sneaking" the lessons in your schooltime?

No. She'll learn more as she continues to grow. Do you have anything you wrote when you were much younger? My mom kept some stuff and it's truly funny how juvenile my work looks. Um, except I was a juvenile. ;) My writing has greatly improved over the years.

If it was not assigned, then no. If it had been an assignment, yes of course.

You could use the words she misspelled as spelling words next week, and do more practice on capitalization. Punctuation marks will come along so I wouldn't worry so much about that.

Thanks, ladies. I will incorporate some of those skills/spelling errors into lessons.

My ds is 10 years older, but he never does any writing unless he's been forced, so I haven't really dealt with this before.

Oh, and Night Elf: I'm not sure about that. I don't know if I still have any of my elementary school writing. I am pretty sure I have some high school stuff around though. I'll have to take a look. Just not on a full stomach! ;)

I do give some gentle direction and correction to my children when they bring me things they have written. However, they are prolific writers and want to improve so are not frustrated by a little tip here and there.

I think you are making a good decision for your son, since he doesn't like to write!

I only edit when dc asks me to. DD9 has written numerous books, short stories, poetry and non fiction pieces for fun. At first she wanted me to read only. Then she wanted constructive criticism on some of her works. Now she's happy to hear my thoughts as long as I have positive feedback for her as well.

I'd say only if she asks. Might be a good time to talk about the process of getting a book from imagination to print--the next step after writing is editing, after all.

As someone with a 40 gal. tote filled with notebooks of creative writing (mostly drivel for my own amusement), dating back to 2nd grade, I'd say be honored she let you read it, and unless she wants to publish it in some way (blog, maybe?), don't worry about editing it.