Menu

So jealous- Midwest HS Convention

I just need to say it out loud. I am GREEN with envy!! I was looking over the lineup of speakers and I just can't get over how many high level speakers are going to be there. When we lived in Florida, I was pretty happy with FPEA's convention. California is a real dead zone. Even the "best" convention here is just ok. I looked up flights to Cincinnati and there is just no way I could make it happen. sigh.

Well every year it gets better, doubling in size, vendors, and workshops. Start making your plans now for next year! Seriously, you can get on their email list, register in December, and get your hotel reservations. If you buy your plane ticket ahead of time, it shouldn't be so expensive. There are people coming in from all over. As it grows, it's definitely becoming worth the expense. :)

Oh, do I hear you! Last year, I had planned to go this year, not even realizing that I might have a job that would prevent me from going! I just started the job and don't have enough vacation days accrued yet. AND, the convention falls on the days I work!

Next year. I'm going next year. I am I am I am!

I'm jealous, too!!

I went last year to WA state's convention in Puyallup and was so surprised at how small it was - it seems as though WA has tons of hschlrs so I figured the convention would be pretty big.

I wonder if I could talk dh into taking a trip to Cincinatti? :)

Oh, Tiffany - you must see Andrew Pudewa! He is a fantastic speaker. and isn't Tim Hawkins going to be there? He is hilarious!

Edited by Mothersweets

Tiffany, don't forget about the WTM get together Thursday night! Who to see? Well... Absolutely Pudewa and SWB. The convention hall looks jam-packed. The other thing I try to do is go to some sessions that are not at all my comfort-zone, just to get stretched a little. Last year I went to Mary Hood's unschooling sessions. That was interesting. :)

This year I'm trying to hit Martin Cothran on logic, some of the preschool and toddler sessions, Pudewa, MCT, Douglas and Nancy Wilson, Doug Philips, Jan Bedell. With a 10 year gap, I'm just all over the board in interests. If you've never been to a Cindy Wigger talk, you really ought to. She's the Tigger of geography. :)

Tiffany, don't forget about the WTM get together Thursday night! Who to see? Well... Absolutely Pudewa and SWB. The convention hall looks jam-packed. The other thing I try to do is go to some sessions that are not at all my comfort-zone, just to get stretched a little. Last year I went to Mary Hood's unschooling sessions. That was interesting. :)

This year I'm trying to hit Martin Cothran on logic, some of the preschool and toddler sessions, Pudewa, MCT, Douglas and Nancy Wilson, Doug Philips, Jan Bedell. With a 10 year gap, I'm just all over the board in interests. If you've never been to a Cindy Wigger talk, you really ought to. She's the Tigger of geography. :)

I'm fairly new to the boards and didn't know about the WTM get together? When and where will that be?

Oh, I will have to check out Martin Cothran. I've been reading a lot on the Memoria Press website.

We're getting together Thursday night, 9pm, in the lobby of the Millennium. If you join the social group "Midwest Homeschool Convention 2010," you'll find some conversations about the convention.

(Click on Community [top of the page], then Social Groups and you'll see the MHC 2010 group.)

That's too bad. Dh is flying in Thursday night from a business trip, and my FIL will be going to get him. I'd have to leave my three kids in Dayton with my MIL, who has fibromyalgia. I don't think I should do it.

If anyone would like to catch lunch on Friday or Saturday, let me know.

Saille, why don't you just bring your kids? You can. I've done it multiple years and been fine. I give them special things new just for the convention. The vendors were REALLY sweet to dd last year and interacted with her quite a bit. Your kids might actually enjoy it. And you could tag team with someone to take them to a Jim Weiss session while you do something you want to go to more. :)

That's too bad. Dh is flying in Thursday night from a business trip, and my FIL will be going to get him. I'd have to leave my three kids in Dayton with my MIL, who has fibromyalgia. I don't think I should do it.

They have a kids program. It costs extra, but didn't look outrageous. Did you look at that? I would have signed up my 2 younger kids for it if I did not have family in town to watch them. My 2 older kids, 11 and 9, are coming w/ us.