Menu

Manipulative Faves and Flops

hsmom23

I am wondering what manipulatives you veterans have bought and love love loved and which ones barely got taken out of the packaging. I am asking especially for like Prek through 2nd grade. Anything that you would especially recommend that would be used throughout all these grades. I am looking for any subject, not just math. So like is there a set of phonics cards that you have worn out, etc.???

TIA for all your experience.

I use manipulatives a lot and have made a lot of manipulatives from scratch using Montessori and Waldorf inspiration. (I have links on my blog to various places I go to find things.)

Math (in order of how much we use it)

1. gem-like things you put in glass vases or other small objects (counting, addition and subtraction)

2. base 10 kit and place value rainbow (used for place-value and regrouping)

3. Al-Abacus from Rightstart Math (subtraction, regrouping, place value)

4. number sidewalk (piece of paper cut in 1/2 lengthwise then the ends are taped together and I make a space for the numbers 1-10) and a small figure who walks the sidewalk. Great for addition/subtraction within 10.

5. tens and teen board and small beads to go with it or you can use the base 10 kit pieces. (numbers beyond 10)

6. cups for the small objects (division)

7. fraction circles (the Montessori style puzzles probably work better than the paper ones I made but it makes equivelent fractions hands-on.)

Spelling

I like having stencils and stamps on hand as just another way to work with writing the words in a fun way. I also have letter tiles and magnets but they don't like those as much.

:001_smile:

For math, the RS Abacus and the Rainbow Fractions Tiles from Learning Resources. I also highly recommend the RS math card games book & set. Hands-On Equations has been a winner for us but it seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing from discussions on this board.

For phonics, the Leapfrog Word Whammer fridge magnets set. I also like the HWOT pre-k set even though that's technically a penmanship program.

I am wondering what manipulatives you veterans have bought and love love loved and which ones barely got taken out of the packaging. I am asking especially for like Prek through 2nd grade. Anything that you would especially recommend that would be used throughout all these grades. I am looking for any subject, not just math. So like is there a set of phonics cards that you have worn out, etc.???

Cuisenaire Rods

Base 10 set

Geared clock

Pattern Blocks

Letter/Letter Blends Phonics "Puzzle" pieces from the Veritas Press Phonics Museum set...I don't know if they are sold separately or not. They are letters that hook together like puzzle pieces for making words.

We are having a blast with the mini-computers I made from the CSMP site. For the markers or checkers for the mini-computer, I use a package of those round, shiny stones from Dollar Tree. For "Eli's Magic Peanuts", I spray painted several of the stones with black paint, then drew the ^ symbol on top with a gold marker. Cheap and fun!

Math U See blocks

Fraction squares

Clocks from yard sales

Coins

Sandbox for writing

Letter dice cubes

Letter & number magnets

Individual-sized white boards

Thermometer, round w/ pointer and rectangle w/ vertical measure tape

lincoln logs for history

geometric solid blocks with architecture book

geoboards with patterns

tannagrams with patterns

DIME blocks with books

stencils

flashcards for math drills

lots of board games

lots of card games

lots of puzzles

Leap Frog

For Math: Cuisinaire rods. I use these daily...even with algebra...

PATTERN BLOCKS and a money bucket with real coins.

For phonics...homemade flip books for word families

~~Oh, and my US puzzle with each state separate and the capitals underneath.

~~Faithe

Hated the Saxon math linking cubes b/c they were so hard to put together and pull apart!

My favorite manip was the Montessori objects we used for reading. Sooo cute and fun to use--small objects that started with a certain letter or were spelled with 3-4 letter phonetic words (a small pig, for example).

I also like the constructive triangles and the Montessori 3D grammar objects--for example, nouns are symbolized by a black triangle, verbs by a (rolling) red ball.

Also loved our art supplies, and using a jar of buttons for grouping, patterning, sequencing, counting, etc in preschool and K. Oh, and the pattern blocks--useful for so many things, including fractions.

An electronic cash register by Learning Resources for playing store.

We had this set of letters which were coated in a texture similar to sandpaper. They loved tracing the letter with their fingers and saying the sound. Helped with beginning writing too as they got the motion of the form down without using paper and pencil. I don't have them anymore to recall a name, but you could easily make a set from sandpaper glued to cardstock.

We also had a set of rubber vehicles similar to the counting bears. These were different colors of cars, planes, fire engines, trucks and trains.

Tinker toys, lincoln logs and duplos.

My biggest mistake was to be too structured at this early age with the manipulatives. I wanted them to use everything the 'right way" instead of just letting them explore, imagine and figure out. Maybe you are wired differently - hope so. But if not, please accept this humble bit of regret; we should have played a lot more!

Kymberly

ds 10 and ds 7

Ok, so which do you prefer, cuisenaire or math u see blocks.

Any suggestions for a brand of geoboard and tannagrams.

And where do I find the counting bears????

Edited to add: Also which right start games would you reccommend????

My biggest mistake was to be too structured at this early age with the manipulatives. I wanted them to use everything the 'right way" instead of just letting them explore, imagine and figure out. Maybe you are wired differently - hope so. But if not, please accept this humble bit of regret; we should have played a lot more!

Kymberly

ds 10 and ds 7

Thanks, that is why I asked, I was wanting to just set up like stations or the ziploc bags with manips for them and thought it was a way to get started.