Menu

Phonics Road Roll Call

Ours came in the mail today. :D

Is the reasoning for Barbara saying there is only one sound for x explained later? She used the 'ks' sound and I can think of xylophone and exempt off the top of my head.

My guess is that it might be one of those words that "isn't plumb or level", that it is the exception to the general rule so to speak. Someone please correct me if it isn't, we are only in week 19/20.

We're on week 8... The first few weeks were a little overwhelming, especially when I had to get Grace to write in the first building codes (she hates handwriting), but now that we're in the lists it seems very doable. I still do a little Webster's but PR is moving into the "main program" spotlight.

I do have a question for the mom's of younger ones: we are splitting the lists in half since Grace is younger, and so far I do "review day" instead of test day. She writes the review words on the whiteboard (or uses AAS letter tiles and marks them) instead of in the workbook, because it's just easier for her. I help her if she writes them incorrectly, and I just write down which ones she misses and go over them again the next week. Is it OK to do the program this way? I want to be more gentle with it because she's younger.

We're on week 8... The first few weeks were a little overwhelming' date=' especially when I had to get Grace to write in the first building codes (she hates handwriting), but now that we're in the lists it seems very doable. I still do a little Webster's but PR is moving into the "main program" spotlight.

I do have a question for the mom's of younger ones: we are splitting the lists in half since Grace is younger, and so far I do "review day" instead of test day. She writes the review words on the whiteboard (or uses AAS letter tiles and marks them) instead of in the workbook, because it's just easier for her. I help her if she writes them incorrectly, and I just write down which ones she misses and go over them again the next week. Is it OK to do the program this way? I want to be more gentle with it because she's younger.[/quote'] Glad to hear it's coming along nicely :)

Before she writes them, are you writing them for her to see? In other words, the tiles are for her, but I'd encourage you to make sure she also sees you modeling how to write the letters. Then, simply watch as she goes to remind her things like "start at 2 o'clock" or "this is a short letter with a tall part" etc. It may also help her to have her "write" out the words in rice or something bumpy or smooth (cool whip, shaving cream) etc. It may get her mind moving along nicely for writing on paper.

So far as doing your review, you're right on target :) You're supposed to work continuously on misspelled words.

Is the reasoning for Barbara saying there is only one sound for x explained later? She used the 'ks' sound and I can think of xylophone and exempt off the top of my head.

My guess is that it might be one of those words that "isn't plumb or level", that it is the exception to the general rule so to speak. Someone please correct me if it isn't, we are only in week 19/20.
Seems like I remember that for xylophone, but don't recall where.

Glad to hear it's coming along nicely :)

Before she writes them, are you writing them for her to see? In other words, the tiles are for her, but I'd encourage you to make sure she also sees you modeling how to write the letters. Then, simply watch as she goes to remind her things like "start at 2 o'clock" or "this is a short letter with a tall part" etc. It may also help her to have her "write" out the words in rice or something bumpy or smooth (cool whip, shaving cream) etc. It may get her mind moving along nicely for writing on paper.

So far as doing your review, you're right on target :) You're supposed to work continuously on misspelled words.

Thanks so much for the advice. It's good to know that veering from the typical path won't hurt us in the long run... Separating the handwriting from the subject, or making it "optional," has really helped Grace start to enjoy PR. So I'm glad that doing it this way is fine... Hopefully by the fall she'll be writing on paper better and we can start logging into the book. Thanks so much for the tips!

We haven't gotten to any words like that, yet. Linguistically, the /s/ sound of /ks/ gets vocalized because of the following vowel sound. So it sounds like /kz/ or even /gz/ if there is a vowel in front. Over time the initial /k/ would be lost, making "xylophone" sound like /zy-lo-fone/. Or maybe /z/ is from the Greek. :tongue_smilie: I don't know what Barbara's explanation is.... "Not plumb and level" or "pronounce it carefully" would be my guess.

(And hi! :))

Okay, I'm just curious....how many of us are there now?

I'm in!

Hi Tina. I followed the link on your website recently and ordered Phonics Road 1. Now I'm checking the front door several times a day to see if there are any boxes sitting in the melting (yay!) snow. My dd is an excellent reader but has not received any phonics training (well, almost none). I've always wanted her to have a strong foundation in phonics but couldn't decide what to use until I learned about Phonics Road. I told my dh that this time my procrastination paid off, since I haven't wasted much money on other LA materials. :)

Hi Tina. I followed the link on your website recently and ordered Phonics Road 1. Now I'm checking the front door several times a day to see if there are any boxes sitting in the melting (yay!) snow. My dd is an excellent reader but has not received any phonics training (well, almost none). I've always wanted her to have a strong foundation in phonics but couldn't decide what to use until I learned about Phonics Road. I told my dh that this time my procrastination paid off, since I haven't wasted much money on other LA materials. :)

WOO HOO! Welcome to the boards. Let me know when it comes along :)

WOO HOO! Welcome to the boards. Let me know when it comes along :)

Thanks Tina! It came! We started today. Dd reminded me this morning, "You said we could start PR after Bible, Mom!" :D She really loved how organized her notebook was - she's into organizing things (perhaps it's a reaction to how unorganized her mommy is sometimes...). I asked politely if I could borrow her clipboard sometime and she said no! :lol: I think she was only partially joking...

:thumbup1:

Thanks Tina! It came! We started today. Dd reminded me this morning, "You said we could start PR after Bible, Mom!" :D She really loved how organized her notebook was - she's into organizing things (perhaps it's a reaction to how unorganized her mommy is sometimes...). I asked politely if I could borrow her clipboard sometime and she said no! :lol: I think she was only partially joking...

Us :) It's our first year and I love it. My cousin is a 2nd g teacher and quite impressed herself on what it covers and what my ds knows already. The only thing I don't like about the program is that Ms. Beers is incorrect on the base of some of her words, and if you tell your child that answer, it's wrong. Ex-http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=the&searchmode=none I took that as we Americans did not change the word thee to the. And I think the explanation of a word can be as simple or as complicated to a child that we make it.

Other than that, we love it. I don't use the dvd's much, unless there is a new thing and I want to see how she presents it.

As far as I know, she doesn't? I wouldn't imagine any elementary spelling program goes into it. It would be nice to mention it to the parents though, in the programs, where to look for why words are spelled they way they are etc. Kids do ask.

I am so confused. lol. I thought that you said that she had the etymology of "the" wrong.

She has gone into the etymology of some of the words... like build, and we had a whole bunch of words in a row based on two... like twenty and twain... I am sure there are more.

My understanding is that levels 3 and 4 go into etymology quite a bit.

So far.....accelerated group is on week 9. (Took us 10 days once we finish this 9)

Ds6 and dd4 are working on letter sounds a, c, d, f, g, o, qu, and s. :D

They are ALL learning so much and really enjoying it!

GO YOU! I am so impressed with you. All this hard work and a new little one. I think I might still be pulling the, "I need a nap, I just had a baby." card :)

GO YOU! I am so impressed with you. All this hard work and a new little one. I think I might still be pulling the, "I need a nap, I just had a baby." card :)

:lol: Well....I am still pulling the "I am super crabby you better listen to me" card! :D

Colton sleeps REALLY good at night with me, so that has helped a ton!

Also my accelerated ones are watching the DVD with me (saves me time right now) and ds18 is working with little 3.

So cute! Delainey (21 months) knows some of her sounds now just from sitting with ds6 and dd4! :001_wub:

:lol: Well....I am still pulling the "I am super crabby you better listen to me" card! :D Mother's privilege.

Colton sleeps REALLY good at night with me, so that has helped a ton!

Also my accelerated ones are watching the DVD with me (saves me time right now) and ds18 is working with little 3.

So cute! Delainey (21 months) knows some of her sounds now just from sitting with ds6 and dd4! :001_wub:

awwwww

After sunlight la k being a flop for us I am ordering on Monday. How long does it usually take to arrive? Dh watched the video that came about the material and we both thought it is exactly what we've been looking for. I'm just worried about all the writing, any tips? Do they have a yahoo group?

After sunlight la k being a flop for us I am ordering on Monday. How long does it usually take to arrive? Dh watched the video that came about the material and we both thought it is exactly what we've been looking for. I'm just worried about all the writing, any tips? Do they have a yahoo group?

They do have a yahoo group. Let me find the link...

less than a week and the yahoo group is using_phonics-road

Can I stalk the mailman? PR3 is on the way. :)

OH YES! Do stalk :)

I'm getting all spoiled w/ my trial Amazon Prime membership. I'm using my school budget up pretty fast so I can get all my books bought, well at least a majority, now and save on that free shipping. I've been the queen of mailman stalking this week!