Menu

Bahamas or US Virgin Islands

We are still trying to plan our vacation for July to celebrate my daughter's graduation, her 18th birthday and our 20th anniversary. I think we have pretty much narrowed it down to the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands. We don't want to do a cruise.

It seems like it would be easier to go to the Virgin Islands since we wouldn't need a passport. Has anyone gone to both places and can compare.

Our number one priority is a beautiful beach (clear warm water, sandy shore) and a nearby pool. We would also like to do a bit of siteseeing and perhaps something like swim with the dolphins. If we go to the Virgin Islands which Island would be better to stay at? I feel so overwhelmed with the decisions.

It's been a rough week with saying goodbye to our dog. I definitely want to plan the vacation but right now I'm having a difficult time concentrating on planning this trip. I think once we have the plans set it will be a load off and we will know that we have something to look forward to.

I loved St. Thomas when our cruise stopped there! We took a taxi and spent the day at Emerald Beach....very quiet and undisturbed. We were the only ones there!

Bahamas is kind of gross...the Atlantis is nice, though. We didn't stay there, but took a tour of their aquarium when we were on a cruise.

Cruises are a fun way to sample different islands.

Have fun!!!

St. John is beautiful and relaxing. St. Thomas is also lovely, but was too commercialized for my tastes. (I prefer nature to shopping.)

Ditto Ditto! DH and I honeymooned on St. John's and loved it. We'd go there over anywhere else in the world.

I have been to the Bahamas and liked it there a lot. I am not sure what others don't like about it but maybe they haven't been out of the US. I have never been to the US VI and I am sure they are nice too but I would choose St. John because of the National Park.

Realize that even the Virgin Islands will not be like mainland US and more like the other Caribbean Islands. They have different values then us so things are different there. (Some things people in the US don't often understand is that we have certain ways we do things that are very cultural but we tend to think of them as 'normal' like our obsession with time).

Well, FYI, the Bahamas is a big place!! Nassau is presumably pretty yucky (big city, gambling center) but there are dozens of isolated, near pristine, islands to choose from. DH and I are going to Great Guana Cay for a week in June and staying here http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p211549#photos-bar

The reef there is among the best in the world. About 150-200 people inhabit the island. Transport is via golf car. . . Our tiny rental house for the two of us is both ocean front AND bay front. . . Anyway, it is very far from gross, lol. Personally, it sounds like heaven to dh & I. (Nassau would NOT be my idea of a vacation, lol!!)

I haven't been to the USVI since I was a kid. From my research, the only island I'd want to spend much time on is St John and it is really pricey. For the same $$, you can find much better, IMHO, in the Bahamas or Carribean. I'd spring for passports and go further abroad.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!