Menu

How to define "accelerated"?

I personally am uncomfortable with the word "gifted". I don't test my children. I just teach them where they are. I do have one son who is now 18 that tested this year and is gifted.

Accelerated to me would be a child working ahead of their age - grade. My preschooler is working at a K -2nd level. Whether he is gifted or not..... who knows? He is advanced though. ;-)

Accelerated is usually ahead of their age-grade (work that they would be doing if they were enrolled in their age-based grade at your local school.)

Usually accelerated (for most of us) is 1 year or more in any given subject area. Many, if not most, of us have children who are more accelerated in one subject area than another.

HTH!

So - it's just, working ahead of grade level? Does that MEAN anything? (i.e., are there tips / ideas for helping them?)

My girls are several years ahead in reading . . . but the other stuff, they're pretty much on target (I think). We just . . . do what we want with them.

The librarian gets all excited at story time, but - we just keep moving along, right? I'm pretty sure that by junior high, it will all even out.

Just teach them at their level. They may or may not level out. My son, now 18, was way ahead in everything to do with language. But barely keeping up in math, we just moved along at whatever pace he needed.

There is no need to get them ahead... but I wouldn't try to slow them down in something that comes naturally.

Just teach them at their level. They may or may not level out. My son, now 18, was way ahead in everything to do with language. But barely keeping up in math, we just moved along at whatever pace he needed.

There is no need to get them ahead... but I wouldn't try to slow them down in something that comes naturally.

I guess what I'm exploring here is . . . they are special . . . and it's not something "freakish" or to be ashamed of . . . but it's not like they're better than other kids, either.

I haven't really given it much thought, as I thought their early reading was just something all home-schooled kids do, but - a few things recently have caused me to think about this. I want them to be GRATEFUL to GOD that they have an easy time reading, and to be responsible with the gifts they have been given, but not to be prideful in their gifts because they are just that - gifts.

Thinking out loud here . . . and publicly . . . not something I do often.

Just as someone else said today in another thread, children have to learn that everyone has gifts. Mine might be reading, and yours might be math, or empathy, etc. It is a good lesson to teach while they are young.

Anything we work hard to accomplish makes up feel good. Making everything easy for these kids, will probably bore them out of their minds. It's the beauty of homeschooling to me, being able to customize for each of my children.

Most kids who are accelerated are not gifted. By definition, only those with an IQ at or above the 98.5th percentile are considered to be intellectually gifted. I forget exactly where the cutoff is for 1 year above grade level, but IIRC it's somewhere between the 65th and 75th percentiles on standardized achievement tests.

I tend to think of accelerated as working ahead by at least a grade level in at least one subject. Gifted is a high IQ and all of the attendant issues (may or may not be working ahead).

Working ahead by a single year in a single subject is so common, I question even calling that accelerated. It could easily be the difference between one school classroom and another. For me, I don't really think in terms of "acceleration" unless the child is working at least a year ahead across the board, or more than 2-3 years ahead in a subject or two. One year in one subject just seems like normal variation to me.

Well, the definition for this board is above (working ahead in one or more areas.) Accelerated to me would mean more than one grade level probably.

Gifted, as PPs have pointed out, is more strictly defined. It may or may not equal accelerated.

Are you trying to explain that your accelerated kids are not gifted, or someone else's? If it someone else, save your breath. :D If it yours, just ignore what they say. When and if problems arise, you can have testing done. We ended up testing because we needed more radical solutions than just 'moving ahead' for our girls.

Well, for the purposes of this board, I like to go by the description at the top of the board. It asks, "Is your child working ahead of grade level in one or more areas?" I assume that if the answer is "yes," then your child is accelerated for the purposes of this board (but maybe not elsewhere).

That said, I've noticed that most of the parents on this board have gifted children, and most of the conversations on this board revolved around gifted issues.

As for accelerated not equaling gifted ... here's how I think of it. Acceleration is achievement based - the child does work that is advanced for his age. Gifted is how the brain works - the child thinks or understands things in ways that are advanced for his age. Gifted children are often accelerated, but not always. If a gifted child is accelerated, he usually stays accelerated. Non-gifted children can be accelerated, but are more likely to level out.

As for accelerated not equaling gifted ... here's how I think of it. Acceleration is achievement based - the child does work that is advanced for his age. Gifted is how the brain works - the child thinks or understands things in ways that are advanced for his age. Gifted children are often accelerated, but not always. If a gifted child is accelerated, he usually stays accelerated. Non-gifted children can be accelerated, but are more likely to level out.

This hits the nail on the head!

I was accelerated in certain classes in high school and I'm not gifted.:tongue_smilie:

What a wonderful way of explaining it!