Menu

Abeka Math

LindaOz

We have used it for Kinder & first and I am very happy with it. It seems to be very thorough and covers what needs to be covered and I like that it's scripted. I am NOT a math person. I hate math and this helps me a lot to be able to teach it. The presentation is very well done. It's colorful and thematic. My son seems to be doing very well with it.

We have used it for Kinder & first and I am very happy with it. It seems to be very thorough and covers what needs to be covered and I like that it's scripted. I am NOT a math person. I hate math and this helps me a lot to be able to teach it. The presentation is very well done. It's colorful and thematic. My son seems to be doing very well with it.

Thanks. When you say it is scripted, does that mean it is scripted in the Teacher Manual? Could the workbook be used without the TM, do you think? Thanks for your help! :)

We are using 1st grade and plan to continue on to 2nd grade math next year. We've tried 3 other math programs, but this is the one my DD loves. My DH and I love that it covers a broad range of topics.

In 1st grade, you certainly could use the workbook without the teacher's manual. I'm glad I have the homeschool edition of the teacher's manual since it gave me some good ideas for games and has given me a few ideas on how to present the new material. I'll probably continue to look for the manual used just for my piece of mind.

I have used Abeka math from K-6th grade! I love it! With the first 2 children, I used the teacher's manual for my own insecurities. With my last one, I don't need it. I do like having the answer book!

Once you hit 4th grade, there is a lot of problems. I never assigned all the problems. My children would have been very frustrated. They did much better with 2 long divisions a day (and would get them right) then if I assigned 4 or 5 (which they would get most of them wrong.)

I like the teacher's manual. I think it adds a lot. A sample lesson goes:

Warm Up: counting with the children by 2's or 5's or something, then a few exercises with telling time, a couple exercises counting money. Then, going over the addition/subtraction facts. Then the speed drill. THen: it teaches the lesson and it tells you what to say. The workbook just reinforces things, but I think the TM is good because it helps you interact more with the child. If you remember to do all the drilling and reviewing without being told to, then great. You don't need the TM. But, I have DS1 doing this, I have DS2 doing kinder math and then DD (4 years old) running around and I like to not have to remember anything but just look down and be told what to do. It's kind of like going to the grocery store - if I don't have a written list then I just go blank. The TM keeps me on track with out having to think about it.

Hello there! My dd used Abeka math for k and 1st grade. We switched to Saxon2 this last year because I heard all the great reviews on it. I did buy a Abeka math 2 as well, just in case for a back up. ;) We have used it to supplement her, because saxon seems to be going too slow for her. She is doing very well! All that said, Abeka math 3 seems to , IMO, get alot harder, alot quicker for the child. I taught at a Christian school a few years ago, before homeschooling, and my third graders were using Abeka math 3. Their were alot of tears because of the quick pace it takes. Every child is different and yours might thrive with it! Just my thoughts on it all!:)

I would not use the Abeka workbooks without the Teacher's Manual, which btw, is called a curriculum guide, the Teacher's Manual or TE is probably just an answer key.

I started out really liking it, but DD just wasn't getting the concepts.

Math Mammoth takes things from different angles so she is doing much better with it.

I plant to use both Abeka (Curriculum guide for hands on teacher involvement, fun colorful pictures) and MM (concepts from many different angles, instructions in the workbook so no Curriculum guide/TM is needed) for K and 1st for DS and then switch to all MM for 2nd, like I am with DD.

My daughter is doing Abeka 2nd grade this year along with Singapore. Abeka is way to easy for her. I like the spiral that Abeka is but Its just not working for us! We are switching to Singapore and Horizons next year for 3rd grade.

Sorry...quick off topic question!!

So you think A beka is easier than Horizons? I'm still deciding between Horizons and A beka as our supplement when we start SM 1a in the fall. We started Horizons K last week and my big girl calls it "baby math" (we are still in book 1- almost half way through). I have A Beka 1 and thought it looked challenging (multiplication was introduced at the very end).