Menu

Cambridge Latin Looks Wonderful..Why doesn't anyone use this?

Penny

Looking at Cambridge online it looks like a fantastic program with lots of Latin reading (which I have found boosts vocabulary and understanding by great leaps). The reading is fun for children as it is about a dog who, from what I can gather, mischieviously runs the household.

Anyone using this? Why or why not?

A side question...if you use this, what do you purchase? The website has what seems to be a wonderful online help, including games, tests, story comprehension, Roman culture pictures/discussion, dramatization of the story, etc. How do you use this all? Is it available for us in the US?

Many thanks to all of you!

Penny

Many people *do* use this text. If you check out the CambridgeLatin/yahoo group you'll see. :001_smile:

Yes, Cambridge Latin can be ordered in the US.

You would need the student text and TM. Unfortunately, the TM is pretty pricey. I am not that impressed with the Omnibus workbook, but ymmv. I think the online activities are sufficient.

It is a great text if you prefer the natural/immersion method. The grammar is taught as needed within the context of a running storyline. It is different from the grammar/translation method which teaches the grammar up front, and then practices it via Latin to English and English to Latin translation.

I would join the yahoo group and find out more about it there. The people there are very helpful, and many of them are Latin teachers.

After using just about every program out there, with no "spark" whatsoever from ds (11, now), I FINALLY listened to dh (linguist) who said that Cambridge was the way to go, as it is more how a child would naturally learn a language.

Ds likes it well enough, and the stories are the reason. (As an aside, I had recommended it to some friends who have girls. After a month or two, one mom was saying, "It's got such "boy" stories!" I think she was having to tone it down a bit! (blood flowing at the barber's, a tipsy painter, the mom not liking the new slave girl (although the dad and the son do), the son throwing a "frisbee" and breaking a statue, etc.)) (OK, now that sounds terrible even to me :))

Anyway, the scope and sequence is different from traditional Latin programs, where memorizing the various conjugations and declensions is the core. In Unit 1 (which, I gather, is usually done in one year along with Unit 2 in late middle school; we're taking a year to do Unit 1, since we started "earlier"), the student is only introduced to nominative, accusative, and dative (I think I'm remembering correctly), and to present, imperfect and perfect tenses. I read somewhere that this is due to the relative use of these tenses and cases (for example, the pluperfect subjunctive whoziwhazit is only used 0.4% of the time, therefore is not introduced very early in the series).

I think there was some interest in Cambridge and then folks discovered Latin Prep. I *think* Latin Prep combines some traditional memory work with reading, and is more accessible to younger students than Wheelock's, for example. I did show Latin Prep to dh, and he really thought that Cambridge was STILL the best way to learn an inflected language.

Anyway, I have the textbook (called unit; it goes by 'stages', not 'chapters') and the workbook. I think that I will need to see if there's an answer book for the workbook pretty soon - I don't remember too much of my hs Latin! Also, the workbook is not as useful when you only have one student, since there are audio exercises. I'm not sure if you can get tapes or not. There is a source for buying these components in the US. (?North American Cambridge Latin Project?) If no one else posts it quickly, I'll try to find my catalogue.

Join me in Cambridge!!

TWTM discourages use of "whole to parts" resources, which Cambridge is, and it is not one of the programs TWTM recommends, and it is secular. Those three factors likely account for its lack of popularity here. It's a very engaging program, lots of support available, and widely used in British and American schools.

I started it with an eighth grader with no Latin background, and I had no Latin background, so it required us to pay careful attention to the grammar helps in the indices. New grammar features are not drilled or explained ahead of time. I will be using it next with my sixth grader next year, who has had some Latin, and I know some now too, so I think it will move more quickly for him.

I am not familiar with LC or PL or Henle or Wheelocks, so I just don't know how it compares with these programs, which I know are on widely different levels.

I purchased it used, getting the student text, TM, tests and pronunciation CD (never used this). I'm pretty sure it is available from the Cambridge website. You will definitley need the TM. Read it through before you start. My only gripe with Cambridge is that it is moderately teacher-intensive.

I used Cambridge in highschool, and then when we hired a Latin teacher a few years ago, thats what he used. it has a very good reputation amongst university people in Australia and Britain apparently.

I use the British edition, and bought the Independent Learning Manuals which go with it. ANd presently, my daughter is using the Etutor facility through the British website, for Book 3. We no longer use the teacher.

It is good for the reasons you state- it is engaging, interesting, not dry, and it is actually very well thought out. The stories come from traditional texts, and Roman history and culture is interwoven into the books.

The reason "classical" people dont tend to use it is because it doesn't drill and teach all the grammar separately. It does teach the grammar explicitly, and there are separate exercises, but it is learned more through immersion.

Having said all that, I use a combination of Latin Prep and Cambridge for my 2nd child (the older has only ever used Cambridge, with and without a teacher, Independent Learning Manuals, and now an etutor). For ds, Latin Prep is a good balance of translations, which are engaging and in particular seemed to be aimed at boys in their humour- and learning the grammar, which is taught differently and more in the traditional way. We have spent the last 6 months with Latin prep 1, not getting very far but still learning a lot, and are now going back to Cambridge and finishing off Book 1 where we left off. And my son is flying through the translations now.

Using two British programs also seems to work well, rather that use an American and British.

Anyway, if it appeals, I can highly recommend Cambridge, particularly if your children are resistant to learning Latin or you want to make sure its engaging. The websites are great, I agree, and I make use of them to reinforce grammar, and my dd uses them to help her with her translations.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for these replies! I haven't time to pour over them yet, but I will as soon as school is out! These look very helpful.

I need to research how to access the online programs.

BTW, we are using Latin Prep 1 and we do like it. I would just like to add in more reading and vocabulary. The reading really seems to cement the Latin. So I will especially be interested in those combining Latin Prep and Cambridge. Does it become overwhelming? Or is the Cambridge somewhat easy since the grammar is included in the Latin Prep?

Thanks again!!

Penny

BTW, we are using Latin Prep 1 and we do like it. I would just like to add in more reading and vocabulary. The reading really seems to cement the Latin. So I will especially be interested in those combining Latin Prep and Cambridge. Does it become overwhelming? Or is the Cambridge somewhat easy since the grammar is included in the Latin Prep

Thats what I do and it really depends what rate you go at. My son is not a quick learner and I have decided it will probably take all year to finish Cambridge and Latin Prep1, and we are only doing the last 2 chapters of Cambridge, and started the year at Chapter 4 of Latin Prep. We are not moving fast, but nor do we spend long on Latin each day. We can however orally translate a story in Cambridge in 10-15 minutes- but that will be all we do that day. If you have already started Latin Prep1, you will find most of the grammar in Cambridge book 1 is covered in the first few chapters of LP1.

The thing that will slow you up in the beginning is looking up all the words in Cambridge, but my kids both absorb vocabulary best through just useage and context, rather than drilling, and its never been a problem for us.

No, its not overwhelming for us, and one program provides a break from the other.

• 1 month later...

I started it with dd in 4th grade and she's in Unit 2 now (end of 5th grade) but we only do Latin 2x per week. Specifically, I like it's "whole to parts" methodology, the interesting stories, and the fact that it's secular (important to us.)

We tried a couple of other Latin texts but this is what has made Latin dd's absolute favorite subject. Seriously--- we all discuss the stories at the dinner table, an dd is eager to read us passages. She can't wait to translate the next story. (only child here, though.)

Astrid

• Like 1

Astrid - this is so interesting.....I'm starting a program with my 4th grader in the fall.....after PL.....So this isn't too advanced? Which products would you recommend? At RR they list quite a few things......omnibus workbook, audio cds, student text,stage tests, teacher's manual...?

We love it, too. I am doing things a little differently with the grammar, but you can't beat Cambridge for readings. It's gory and violent and awful! We love it!

We started the year w/Henle, and I've got this gorgeous book, so I'm just kind of winging it with organizing our grammar. I've also got the MODG syllabus for Henle, which gives charts and tests and things for grammar.

We just got bored with only reading Henle, but we're still hanging on to it, because it teaches the grammar like nobody's business. It's a little complicated to mesh these two, but I have time to fiddle with it. It really helps that we got pretty far along in Henle before picking up the Cambridge.

I'm using a old copy of Cambridge from the library and we're keeping a notebook for the word lists, exercises, and grammar. We use the website when doing the stories (dd translates from the book orally, and I follow along on the website so I can check quickly), and we also do all of the online grammar exercises and quizzes, as well as the links for history. We've especially enjoyed incorporating the history into our Latin studies in such an interesting way.

I will have to buy it next year, so I'm glad to hear that workbook is not necessary. It is a little high, but it will be worth it (and that's coming from the biggest penny-pincher of them all!)

I'm working through Wheelock's on my own, but I am really enjoying Cambridge w/dd. I'm so glad I found it - dd LOVES Latin now.

I am not using Cambridge but I do have Ecce Romani which from the info shared in this post, it sounds like they are similiar. I also use LP with my children. Ecce is a Friday only subject. DD who has done LP 1 and well into LP2 is breezing through Ecce. DS who is half way through LP 1 is a little slower but still doing quite well. He also has a year of LfC under his belt and really learned all the vocabulary. I would not start both at the same time. But if you have some LP under your belt these sort of whole to parts programs can be a nice change.

HTHs,