Menu

What are your favorite courses from The Teaching Company?

I've been given $500 to spend on some courses.

I already have: The Old Testament

The New Testament

Museum Masterpieces: The Louvre --were going this summer

A History of European Art

What are your favorites and why?

Edited by Tammy in Germany
can't spell worth a hoot today ;)

Is there a particular format you prefer--video or audio? There's a history of England on audio that we've really loved, but you're already in Europe, so that may be redundant for you?:) I'll have to look through our shelves to help me remember what we have...

Do you have SuperStar Student yet? It usually doesn't cost much, but a great course from Teaching Company.

I managed to spend around $350 at Christmas. We have only watched the Super Star Student DVD, and a little bit of their newest Algebra DVD. Wish I could say that we have watched every single one that I bought.:tongue_smilie:

I LOVED the "Understanding and Appreciating Classical Music" series. I learned SO much about music. I got it from the library, but I might have to buy it!

I'm learning a lot with this one. I'm not in love with his style, but I don't hate it either. He promised to make me think about B's famous 5th in a different way, and he did.

I love, love VanDiver, Harl, and the younger Fagan, who does the Rome stuff.

I'm looking forward to Egypt.

I've enjoyed the courses I've purchased from the TC. Agreeing with another poster - just pick out ones you think you'll enjoy and go for it!

If you do not like the course, you can return it and get something else. I did that with the Superstar Student one (don't throw anything at me! :) ). It had been over a year since I purchased the course and they took it back with NO PROBLEM at all! I've been very impressed with their customer service.

Also, did you know that Susan Wise Bauer is doing a course on Medieval history for them? Woo hoo!! Can't wait for that one!

I got Prof Philip Daileader's Early, Middle and Late Middle Ages courses (because we're on Medieval this year) and we are really enjoying them. He's a great presenter and I think has made us laugh at least once in each 30min lecture - & we're only on lecture 10 of the first set.

We got the Superstar Student too but I'm more meh about it. It's ok esp since I got it on some super duper sale where it hardly cost anything. I wouldn't have felt happy about it if I'd paid full $.

I've been given $500 to spend on some courses.

I already have: The Old Testament

The New Testament

Museum Masterpieces: The Louvre --were going this summer

A History of European Art

What are your favorites and why?

Rome and the Barbarians by Harl

Because you have to understand Roman politics and military structure and because the identity of the "barbarians" kept changing as the empire grew and bumped into new non-assimilated barbarians, the course is really a course about the history of the structure, expansion and then the fall of the Roman empire.

SWB may be doing a course soon. There was a mention of this on one of her blogs. (I don't know what the timeline might be.)