Menu

Your favorite Medieval logic stage resources

swimmermom3

What are your favorite Medieval (or the span from 600s to 1600s) resources for history, literature, geography, art, music, and historical science for the logic stage? Think of the things your kids absolutely loved doing or that you felt really added value to your studies. I would appreciate any links to old threads as well. I am trying to be more selective in my choices for next year (7th grade)...really.:D

:lurk5:

I'm still trying to streamline Greece and Rome, but can't start too early, can we?

Ohhhhhhh! You can see my desk, can't you? Do you know how high the Greece stack alone is? <<shudder>> Yes, streamline. Must streamline. Leave next year alone, right?:smilielol5:

Edited by swimmermom3

Ohhhhhhh! You can see my desk, can't you? Do you know how high the Greece stack alone is? <<shudder>> Yes, streamline. Must streamline. Leave next year alone, right?:smilielol5:

Right now I'm trying to separate into 'save for baby', 'save for high school', and 'now'. The problem is they were all in the 'now' pile and I really have math and stuff we need to do. Math is boring anyway. :D

What are your favorite Medieval (or the span from 600s to 1600s) resources for history, literature, geography, art, music, and historical science for the logic stage? Think of the things your kids absolutely loved doing or that you felt really added value to your studies. I would appreciate any links to old threads as well. I am trying to be more selective in my choices for next year (7th grade)...really.:D

The SL Books for the last 1/2 of Core 6 are excellent, and really made the Middle Ages "real" for my DS. They are mostly coming-of-age stories that he could really relate to, as well as great teachers of ideas that are often lost in the non-fiction books we usually use for history. My 2nd DS will be doing Middle Ages next year, and I will definitely use these somehow.

The SCA does medieval re-enactment, yes, but has been around so long it has developed a culture of its own. It's an interesting blend full of geeky people with a huge range of interesting hobbies; some who actually look like geeks, hehehe, and plenty who look normal ;)

Rosie

http://www.sca.org

Rosie, thank you for the link. This looks like too much fun. Since we are people who used to hang out at country fairs (the tie-dye kind), we aren't too concerned with how people look.;)

The SL Books for the last 1/2 of Core 6 are excellent, and really made the Middle Ages "real" for my DS. They are mostly coming-of-age stories that he could really relate to, as well as great teachers of ideas that are often lost in the non-fiction books we usually use for history. My 2nd DS will be doing Middle Ages next year, and I will definitely use these somehow.

Rhondabee, an older child did SL Alt. 7 a couple of years ago. That remains one of my favorite years of home schooling. I added all the extra books from 6. My goal is to take the study deeper and I would like to include a few of the standards like Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales - perhaps in a modified form. As a secular family with strong Catholic and Presbyterian roots, I'm also trying to figure out how to handle church history.

Rhondabee, an older child did SL Alt. 7 a couple of years ago. That remains one of my favorite years of home schooling. I added all the extra books from 6. My goal is to take the study deeper and I would like to include a few of the standards like Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales - perhaps in a modified form. As a secular family with strong Catholic and Presbyterian roots, I'm also trying to figure out how to handle church history.

Oh, I will definitely use the SL books as *supplements* in some way.

Literature is the WTM lit list (the Nye Beowulf is excellent, as is the version of Canterbury Tales). IIRC, the only bug-a-boo in the list (for us) was Dante - maybe because we don't have Catholic roots. But, I had time to do both the WTM list *and* the SL books. Older DS followed the SL schedule for the SL books, some being Readers and others Read-Alouds, because we had already finished the WTM list.

Hopefully, I'll have a somewhat better idea of what I'm doing this time around, and try to work them in as we go. I don't want to do them as Read-Alouds as I'm choosing Read-alouds from thegreatbooks.com list this time thru history.

As a secular family with strong Catholic and Presbyterian roots, I'm also trying to figure out how to handle church history.

You might want to look at the History Lives series by Mindy and Brandon Withrow. (Presbyterians) We've been reading through Volume 2: Monks and Mystics. I'm trying to think of it from a secular perspective and I think it will be OK - it doesn't seem to be biased to me. However, as you continue in the series I imagine that will come out as the authors are presbyterian . . .

Trial and Triumph and the 100 Most Important Events in Christian History are some other christian publisher resources.

But - if you can get your hands on it - DK The Story of Christianity by Michael Collins & Matthew A. Price might be just the thing! It is OOP - but it was written by both a Catholic and a Protestant. So it includes both the reformation and the counter-reformation. I hope you can find it - it'd make a great secular reference.

Ravin, is this the group that does the historical re-enactments?

Yes. Some local SCA resources I could call upon include:

Scriptorium--people who do medieval style calligraphy and illumination

fiber arts--I know folks who can teach sewing, costuming, beading, embroidery, sprang, naalbinding, knitting, crocheting, kumihimo, assorted other ways of making braid and cord, applique, etc.

woodworking, metalworking, leatherworking, jewelrymaking--I know a fellow with regular open workshops in his garage.

beading, beadmaking

building armor

history, art--same fellow has an awesome library, so do many other SCAdians.

Also, SCA events also have history classes. Some DD and I have gone to (or I recall seeing taught) include those on ships, shipbuilding, shipboard customs, knot-tying, etc., the black death, medieval medicine, costumes of various periods and places w/in Medieval Europe, contact between Europe and other cultures, piracy in the medieval period, heraldryetc.

Then there's P.E.: Youth combat, youth archery...

And service: youth often have opportunities to volunteer at events, and teaching chivalry and good sportsmanship are very important parts of the Yough Combat programs.

Also, many SCA events are camping events, which lend themselves to teaching kids all sorts of useful outdoor skills.

It seems as though you have quite a bit of literary material. Here are a few different odds and ends:

Gregorian chants: excerpts, and then Sandra Boynton's hilarious version called Grunt: Gregorian Chants with Pigs (if that sort of thing doesn't offend you).

The Bayeux Tapestry, by Lucien Musset -- has panel-by-panel close-up pictures that are gorgeous, with brief explanations. We then made our own panel on a piece of linen, using markers, pieces of fabric and felt and trim, etc.

Internet pages on the Book of Kells. We then made an illuminated letter with markers and real gold leaf from the craft store (tricky to use, but fun).

Great Medieval Projects You Can Build Yourself, by Kris Bordessa. We tried making our own chain mail piece, making a miniature model thatched roof, making a shield, cooking, etc.

Multiple visits to local SCA faires.

A trebuchet kit of the sort you can buy at amazon.com.

A short archery lesson (a freebie).

A visit to a museum where we saw a Chaucer manuscript and a Gutenberg Bible along with many others. To be honest, I liked this better than my daughter did. She would rather have seen suits of armor.

I second another poster's recommendation of Marco Polo For Kids also. Great projects, interesting information, and a whole new view of the period from the middle and far East rather than Euro-centered.

We are enjoying the Foster books. My dd has a new favorite history author. And also the Famous Men of the Middle Ages, if you didn’t read it in the grammar stage.

I have a booklist for MA, but we have barely scratched the surface of it now that we are in the "logic" stage. :)

:lurk5:

Karen, that is great list and I appreciate the threads within the threads.

I think I already sent you my medieval stuff, didn't I? Do you want to know what we've actually done of it that was really enjoyed, thus far?

Regena, I have a partial list of your medieval stuff and would love to know what you have really enjoyed so far this year. As you know, I am a big fan of your lists.:D Thanks so much!

You might want to look at the History Lives series by Mindy and Brandon Withrow. (Presbyterians) We've been reading through Volume 2: Monks and Mystics. I'm trying to think of it from a secular perspective and I think it will be OK - it doesn't seem to be biased to me. However, as you continue in the series I imagine that will come out as the authors are presbyterian . . .

Trial and Triumph and the 100 Most Important Events in Christian History are some other christian publisher resources.

But - if you can get your hands on it - DK The Story of Christianity by Michael Collins & Matthew A. Price might be just the thing! It is OOP - but it was written by both a Catholic and a Protestant. So it includes both the reformation and the counter-reformation. I hope you can find it - it'd make a great secular reference.

Brenda, I was able to find a reasonably priced copy of the DK book on Amazon. I was also impressed that the History Live series offered stories that were not "sanitized." My older son read a couple of the Benge and Benge books and was frustrated with the presentation. He said that after a while every person sounded the same and that "Their real characters were stripped away." I am going to see if I can find one in our library system.

Yes. Some local SCA resources I could call upon include:

Scriptorium--people who do medieval style calligraphy and illumination

fiber arts--I know folks who can teach sewing, costuming, beading, embroidery, sprang, naalbinding, knitting, crocheting, kumihimo, assorted other ways of making braid and cord, applique, etc.

woodworking, metalworking, leatherworking, jewelrymaking--I know a fellow with regular open workshops in his garage.

beading, beadmaking

building armor

history, art--same fellow has an awesome library, so do many other SCAdians.

Also, SCA events also have history classes. Some DD and I have gone to (or I recall seeing taught) include those on ships, shipbuilding, shipboard customs, knot-tying, etc., the black death, medieval medicine, costumes of various periods and places w/in Medieval Europe, contact between Europe and other cultures, piracy in the medieval period, heraldryetc.

Then there's P.E.: Youth combat, youth archery...

And service: youth often have opportunities to volunteer at events, and teaching chivalry and good sportsmanship are very important parts of the Yough Combat programs.

Also, many SCA events are camping events, which lend themselves to teaching kids all sorts of useful outdoor skills.

Ravin and Rosie, this looks like an incredible resource and there are two chapters(?) not far from us. There is a Faire in April I think we will check out.

It seems as though you have quite a bit of literary material. Here are a few different odds and ends:

Gregorian chants: excerpts, and then Sandra Boynton's hilarious version called Grunt: Gregorian Chants with Pigs (if that sort of thing doesn't offend you).

The Bayeux Tapestry, by Lucien Musset -- has panel-by-panel close-up pictures that are gorgeous, with brief explanations. We then made our own panel on a piece of linen, using markers, pieces of fabric and felt and trim, etc.

Internet pages on the Book of Kells. We then made an illuminated letter with markers and real gold leaf from the craft store (tricky to use, but fun).

Great Medieval Projects You Can Build Yourself, by Kris Bordessa. We tried making our own chain mail piece, making a miniature model thatched roof, making a shield, cooking, etc.

Multiple visits to local SCA faires.

A trebuchet kit of the sort you can buy at amazon.com.

A short archery lesson (a freebie).

A visit to a museum where we saw a Chaucer manuscript and a Gutenberg Bible along with many others. To be honest, I liked this better than my daughter did. She would rather have seen suits of armor.

I second another poster's recommendation of Marco Polo For Kids also. Great projects, interesting information, and a whole new view of the period from the middle and far East rather than Euro-centered.

These are exactly the kinds of activities I am looking for. I think Gregorian Chants with Pigs will be right up my son's alley.:D We do plan on making a catapult for science.

It is a good thing we are currently moving into the Greeks and Romans, otherwise I would want to jump ship and get started.

I can't think of the name but something like Amazing Leonardo DiVinci and His Inventions....beige colored book.

The Venezia books on composers and artists were great.

I, not dc, loved the Story of Europe!

Famous Men of the Middle Ages.

What did your children not like about The Story of Europe?

I'm planning for Medieval History next year too. I'll have a 5th, 6th, and 8th grader.

The book I use for church history at this age is The Church in History. It gives a very thorough history of the church without glossing over things. It is from a reformed viewpoint.

I've got a stack of books on the floor in my library right now that I'm going through and deciding what to use. I know for sure that I'm using Famous Men of the Middle Ages and Famous Men of the Renaissance and Reformation.

My older boys really enjoyed the Howard Pyle books when they went through in logic stage, and I know I'll use those.

I'm planning for Medieval History next year too. I'll have a 5th, 6th, and 8th grader.

The book I use for church history at this age is The Church in History. It gives a very thorough history of the church without glossing over things. It is from a reformed viewpoint.

I've got a stack of books on the floor in my library right now that I'm going through and deciding what to use. I know for sure that I'm using Famous Men of the Middle Ages and Famous Men of the Renaissance and Reformation.

My older boys really enjoyed the Howard Pyle books when they went through in logic stage, and I know I'll use those.

Tammy, we are just getting ready to start Famous Men of Greece and it will be the first time I have used the series. Have you used them before and have you used more than one in a row like you are planning to next year? My son is often great the first time around with a resource but if you present it another time(same format, different topic), he loses steam. Do you do the workbooks with them?

I use the books from Greenleaf Press, so I use their guides. I do some of the activities they suggest, and sometimes I use another source. Sometimes I use their discussion questions for a writing prompt. We don't really do everything they suggest, because I use lots of other books along with it. I like Days of Knights and Damsels, and Leonardo da Vinci for kids for activities. I don't think my kids even notice that we have moved out of the Middle Ages book into the Ren/Ref book. :001_smile: We just start the second when we finish the first.

This will be my third time going through this time period for logic stage. If you want to know what books I finally settle on this go round, I'll let you know.