Menu

Leaning towards Sonlight K for my k'er next year.

staceyobu

We will probably always do a Core in Sonlight. The book selections (especially the read-alouds) are incredible and most are books I never heard of...

We did Core 1 in about 6 months, so it's not as time-consuming as it looks if you keep chuggin' along.

Some of the books (like Mr. Popper's Penguins), my son still talks about a year later.

Oh, yeah...and most of the read-alouds you can get at the library.

Guest Cindie2dds
Some of the books (like Mr. Popper's Penguins), my son still talks about a year later.

:iagree: We are in the middle of this book now. I am having a hard time not laughing while reading it. What a fun book! We have concrete floors and my girls get small throw pillows to "toboggan" with.

Anyone want to confirm or talk me out of this decision.

(I have also been on TOG's website daily for the past three months looking. Repeating to myself... TOG would be ridiculous... TOG would be ridiculous... TOG would be ridiculous, right?)

I did about 9 weeks of Core K with my dd who was 5.5 yo at the time. I ended up sending it back (LOVE the return policy!!!) because it was just too much. The core is very full, and when you add in science, math, and a full LA program, it was a lot to do. Core P4/5 was perfect for her (the IG doesn't have the "extras" like the other IGs have; it's basically just a book list). Aside from the quantity, some of the read alouds were over here head (The Apple & the Arrow comes to mind). There is a website ,http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/, that has lots of ideas to supplement the Sonlight cores. HTH!

As a current Tog person now (former Core K and MFW person), I would suggest going with Core K. I love TOG and am sticking with it for the long haul, but sometimes newbies have a hard time not doing everything in TOG. It's just because you don't always know what is possible in a day without losing you or your child's sanity. Some people can do TOG from the start, I just don't think I was ready 4 years ago as a new homeschooler. I think having a sonlight core which showed me how to schedule a day really helped me with TOG. Core K was great and we had a good year with it. I would suggest sitting on it for a month or so and see where God is leading you. That always helps me to weed stuff out.

Beth

I loved Core K. I used the core and the science with my oldest son. We started the same month he turned five. We had a wonderful year. I regret not repeating it later on with my youngest son. I did eventually read most of the books to my youngest, but we didn't follow the guide and it just wasn't the same experience for him.

We love Core K! I started in August with a 5 year old and 7 year old and will admit that if DS was an only, I would have saved Core K for his first grade year, but he has done fairly well with it as kindergarten. I think DD had an easier time listening to chapter stories and connecting with the emotional content, but as he matures, he's enjoying it more. Sonlight's recommended age range for Core K is 5-7, so most 5 year olds can do it, but some do better easing in slowly, waiting for a little maturity. On their forums recently there was a post about rearranging the schedule to start with the easier read-alouds first. But yes, we've enjoyed it very much - adding Science K and math/LA/readers/electives at appropriate levels has made for a very full K/1st year for us!