Menu

I saw Itzhak Perlman!!! Report inside:

I got tickets for my son and I, but now I so wish we had gotten tickets for my husband, nephew and 13 yo. I'm awed. Perlman played a Bach suite for oboe and violin, and then conducted Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings and Beethoven's Fifth symphony. He has such a strong presence-it seemed to me that the musicians were very "connected" with him as they played under his direction. I guess that's always the case between conductor and symphony.

He has a great sense of humor. After he entered to conduct the Serenade, he turned to the audience and said, "I had an urgent phone call during the break---pause---it was Mr. Tchaikovsky (laughter). He said he knows Bach didn't mind the applause between movements, but he DOES mind." Got the point across gently.

I did not really realize how difficult it is for him to walk. He used arm crutches, but moved very slowly from the stage door to the podium. He's a big man-his hands are enormous, but so expressive as he conducts. The Serenade is so beautiful; I wasn't that familiar with it, now I feel it's an urgent matter for me to own it.

Thanks for listening! It was a wonderful day.