Menu

Not sure what to use for K math if I want to end up using Saxon down the road

Quiver0f10

I posted something similar a while back but I'd like more opinions and I am open to more options that just the few I listed below.

I want a gentle, hands on approach for my upcoming Ker. I ordered the MP K program and I will look through the R&S math that comes with it, but I think I want to end up with Saxon down the road.

I don't think he is going to be ready for Saxon 1st just yet but I think the K might be too young for him? I guess we could do R&S 1 over K and 1st as MP suggest and then switch? I just don't want any gaps. I am also looking at MUS primer and then Saxon 1 in first, but I am not sure that would work either.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by Quiver0f10

Hey, Quiver!

I'm having the same quandry. I am pretty convinced I'll just go head with Saxon K. Though, admittedly, I don't know *anything* about it or really any other K program. Could you please explain why you think the K Level will be too easy?

(I guess I'm asking do you think it would be too easy for any average child. We will have finished all the R&S Preschool books that come with the MP package, but they are pretty much counting.)

Have you tried the placement tests on the Saxon website? That might give you a good idea of where to start.

Having said that, Saxon K is pretty basic. My DD is doing it in parochial school, and her teacher is supplementing heavily because it is undershooting a majority of the class.

How far "down the road"?

The primary levels of Saxon make me crazy :tongue_smilie:but I like Math 54 and up. If I were starting over, I'd plan to do something like Mathematics Made Meaningful, and from there into Miquon. And I'd think about adding something like Calculadders for drill, as some have said that they thought Miquon needed drill.

Or, most probably, I'd do this (no math before third grade).

Hey, Quiver!

I'm having the same quandry. I am pretty convinced I'll just go head with Saxon K. Though, admittedly, I don't know *anything* about it or really any other K program. Could you please explain why you think the K Level will be too easy?

(I guess I'm asking do you think it would be too easy for any average child. We will have finished all the R&S Preschool books that come with the MP package, but they are pretty much counting.)

I keep hearing that it's "pretty basic" so I am thinking it might be better for a younger child? I don't know LOL. My son has done the R&S preschool books too but he still isn't beyond basic counting. I really think he simply isn't interested yet. He just turned 5 last month so maybe I need to give him more time. I got my new WTM yesterday and have been reading through the preschool section today and think maybe we would be better off doing some simple math games and jump into Saxon 1st in first grade. I just want to make sure he has a good foundation in math and readng.

The kinds of things my DD has done this year in Saxon K (that I remember off hand)

Counting by 1s, 2s, 5s, and 10s, with 5s and 10s tied in with money, up to 100.

very, very basic addition

Patterns-AB, ABC, and so on

Shapes, sizes, some positional words

Writing numbers and number words (lots of time on this)

Some basic word problems

Calendar math

As I said-it's really, really basic, and her K teacher is supplementing for the entire class.

My DD does enjoy playing with the manipulatives.

How far "down the road"?

The primary levels of Saxon make me crazy :tongue_smilie:but I like Math 54 and up. If I were starting over, I'd plan to do something like Mathematics Made Meaningful, and from there into Miquon. And I'd think about adding something like Calculadders for drill, as some have said that they thought Miquon needed drill.

Or, most probably, I'd do this (no math before third grade).

I was thinking for 1st. My older kids did Abeka K-3 but I figure if we are going to do Saxon eventually, why not start at the beginning.

I'm trying to decide the same thing. I think if you buy the memoria press k program- then use the rod and staff that comes with it. I've used saxon k before and it is really easy. I don't think you'd have any gaps switching over to saxon in 1st or 2nd. It just depends on what you prefer. If I buy the memoria kit then I'm going to use r&s, because I'm going to try and use it as its written. If I decide to use phonics pathways again and wing it as far as the rest of k- then I'm going to order saxon k for math. I know how you feel- I need to decide this week before the tax money drains away into something boring like car repair....

I'm trying to decide the same thing. I think if you buy the memoria press k program- then use the rod and staff that comes with it. I've used saxon k before and it is really easy. I don't think you'd have any gaps switching over to saxon in 1st or 2nd. It just depends on what you prefer. If I buy the memoria kit then I'm going to use r&s, because I'm going to try and use it as its written. If I decide to use phonics pathways again and wing it as far as the rest of k- then I'm going to order saxon k for math. I know how you feel- I need to decide this week before the tax money drains away into something boring like car repair....

If you do go with MP, will you switch to saxon after finishing the R&S 1st?

Have you tried the placement tests on the Saxon website? That might give you a good idea of where to start.

Having said that, Saxon K is pretty basic. My DD is doing it in parochial school, and her teacher is supplementing heavily because it is undershooting a majority of the class.

Thanks a bunch! (don't know how I missed that since I tested my older kids...:tongue_smilie:) The placement test is very revealing.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I just looked at the placement test and he would definitely do the K program. I will have to see at the end of summer where he would be, IF we don't just go ahead with the R& or something else. I am going to get him some living books for math and do some fun hand son stuff over the summer.

Ellie,

I just love that link to the math experiment!

Last week I started my youngest on Miquon using the First Grade diary. I've tried it with the older with just the books and was never very successful. We've been doing it this time for two weeks, and I am very excited. It starts with one-to-one correspondence and goes all the way up to beginning multiplication and fractions. I wanted something gentle and fun for her that will really help her develop her mathematical thinking. SInce she's my last and because I don't want to repeat my previous mistakes, I am trying something different . I want to work through the Miquon and then switch her to Saxon at 5/4.

So if you ever considered Miquon, get a copy of that First Grade diary to read (curclick has a download and rainbow has the book). It really walks you through a year of mathematical thinking.

Edited by Karen in CO

Last week I started my youngest on Miquon using the First Grade diary. I've tried it with the older with just the books and was never very successful. We've been doing it this time for two weeks, and I am very excited. It starts with one-to-one correspondence and goes all the way up to beginning multiplication and fractions. I wanted something gentle and fun for her that will really help her develop her mathematical thinking. SInce she's my last and because I don't want to repeat my previous mistakes, I am trying something different . I want to work through the Miquon and then switch her to Saxon at 5/4.

So if you every considered Miquon, get a copy of that First Grade diary to read (curclick has a download and rainbow has the book). It really walks you through a year of mathematical thinking.

Thanks I will check it out.

With my kids we did very relaxed math in K. The younger two did only the lesson activities and some of the meeting material in Saxon 1. They never even go fully through the material, but somehow, they are ready for Saxon 2 in first grade!

The oldest child had the best in K math (didn't have time with the others!) We read math related library books and did any related activities, had a math game day once a week (tried to keep this up with the other two). And then did some simple workbooks for time and money. We used number flashcards for learning to count, some skip counting, and ordering numbers. It was fun - but once I had all the manipluatives for SAxon and already the Saxon 1 book - it just made it easier to get math done with the next kids to come along!

My two oldest (5th and 3rd) have done Saxon since K- but I started them both in Saxon 1. I've heard from a lot of people that Saxon 1 is fine for kindergarten. Another plus to starting them in Saxon 1 in K is that you always feel "ahead" - which is a big confidence boost when you're homeschooling! My 3rd did not do well with Saxon at all. It moved way too fast for him, and I think I was burnt out on it as well. I switched him to Abeka this year (1st), and he is doing much better. We both like the pace and the color (one thing that drove me crazy about Saxon was the black and white pictures of the coins!!) I like the speed drills better in Abeka, and I've planned to do Abeka with my 4th child as well. I'll move them both over to Saxon in either 3rd or 4th grade.

I LOVE Saxon 5/4 and up, but for the early years we're using Miquon and Ruth Beechicks The Three R's. I also read living math books from this list:

http://livingmath.net/ReaderLists/tabid/268/language/en-US/Default.aspx

I wanted to thank you! I ordered a few books from this list and the first arrived today. My son loves his new book!

I posted something similar a while back but I'd like more opinions and I am open to more options that just the few I listed below.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I am heading down the 'Saxon-one-day' route too but don't want to start until 54.

So, my K'er (and my 2nd grader) are doing this:

-Calculadder: just working their way through the levels step at a time. My 5yo is doing a timed addition sheet already and all I did is sit down one day for 10 mins or so and show him how to do the adding with legos, then he completed the sheet. Next day, he was up at the table with the other kids doing it to the timer. He doesn't have it under two minutes yet, but he's improving in his speed. :)

-Mathletics: love this site. It's a paid site but WELL worth the money IMO. My 5yo has started at the K level and is working his way through it. It covers number, time, measurement, shapes etc etc. ALL my kids love this site - even the one doing Algebra 1 ;) http://www.mathletics.com.au It's an Australian site, but I think that when you sign up there is an American option which I'm guessing will include a different sequence ('cause we do follow a different sequence apparently) and different money.

So, that's basically it. I think that with these two resources he will be well and truly ready for Saxon 54 when the time comes.

HTH

Edited by LindaOz