Menu

Cooking co-op class w/o a kitchen ideas?

I had a 6 week co-op class planned on cooking with my Kindergarten and 1st graders. The church we met at had to close down the kitchen due to a leaking gas lines. :(

I need ideas I can do in a class room, with no access to water other than a bathroom sink for clean up.

I am going to have them make ice cream, shaken in the bag.

smoothies- I think we can cut up fruit and use blenders in classroom. I will just bag up everything and bring it home to wash.

Cookies or hot chocolate mix in a jar....

any other ideas? also no peanut butter or nuts of any kinds allowed.

TIA for your help!

could you bring in an electric skillet or a griddle and then you could do pancakes, grilled cheese, etc... also you could do no bake cookies and edible playdough (no recipe recommendations from me - I just know it can be done) You could also bring in a toaster over... just some thoughts for you

Fruit salad, veggie salad, or maybe those won't work with little kids trying to chop?:001_huh:

Maybe you could bring in some baked or boiled potatoes and have them mash them and add all the fixings for them. Or maybe you could have them mix a cookie mix in a jar(except use a plastic bag) to take home and finish.

You could also try colloecting a few electric griddles and have them make pancakes. HTH

Chocolate fountains are neat. They can then dip breads and fruits. You could have two one for milk chocolate and one for white chocolate.

Electric Griddle for pancakes and grilled cheese

Quesadilla Maker very easy and yummy

Electric Waffle maker

Dips, Fruit salad, corn salad, pinwheel type sandwiches, Fruit Parfaits

Make cookies in advance and decorate. Cream pies such as lemonaide pie no cooking required. Or homemade granola bars or trail mixes, chex mixes

I'm teaching the same age, same type of class right now; one thing that's been a hit was english muffin pizzas, if you can get a toaster oven in there. We also decorated cupcakes once, and if you wanted to you could bring a mixer in to make your own frosting. Good luck!

Thanks for all the ideas.

I am pushing it with the blender, so really I can't use any electric equipment.

Any no bake or trail mix type recipes w/o nuts? or peanut butter.

So far I have smoothies, homemade ice cream ( shaken in zip loc baggies) and a butterfly snack craft idea from Family Fun this month.

I was also thinking of fruit kabobs, and maybe a yogurt type dip.

I was also thinking of the mixes in a jar or baggie to finish at home later.

What's a long time? This sounds like a fun idea, simple and not messy.

But how long would they have to shake it?

Just put 1/2 cup of cream into a plastic jar with a dash of lemon juice (makes it go faster) and have them shake it for a long, long time. Serve on soda crackers.

What's a long time? This sounds like a fun idea, simple and not messy.

But how long would they have to shake it?

If you put the lemon juice in, and a marble (clean), probably about 10 minutes or so. If not then maybe 20ish, IIRC. Those cheap plastic sippy cups work really well for this. You have to remember to bring plastic knives to get the butter out and spread it on the crackers.