Menu

Will I regret buying a sedan

I don't know if it will work for your family but I can say my kids hate being squished three across. They never want to go back to a regular car.

Yeh, I'm wondering about that. They all have their own chair right now. They tell me they wouldn't mind sitting together, but....:confused:

We did, and mine hate it.

I think it depends on why you want to do it. I wanted better gas mileage, since we were making the switch in the $4/gallon time frame. I still had two in boosters, and to get a car big enough to do that comfortably, we ended up in a V6, which negated most of my benefits for gas mileage. So it was not really worth it. If we could have fit in a smaller car, it would have worked out better, but when we do that, my kids argue the whole time and we all end up in a foul mood. YMMV, since this is just our experience.

Do you have a sedan as a second vehicle now? We have one Sienna and one small station wagon. My kids gripe and moan if we take the small wagon anywhere and they have to sit 3 across the back. The friend issue is big for us, as well. Even with the 7 seat van, we occasionally end up with a kid on the floor for short distances, or have to take both vehicles if a longer distance.

If you have a sedan you could use for a week or two to test out the idea. . . before committing. . .

We also travel to FL for a month each year, and haul TONS of stuff, so the minivan would be sorely missed if we downsized. . .

All told, I don't think I could face downsizing until at least one child (we have 3) was off to college or beyond.

Good luck!

I love having a sedan. I have three older- youngest is 13 and oldest is almost 21. I have had this car for 3.5 years. Normally we are only driving with 4 adult size people but we have even gone on four or five hour trips with five adult size people. They don't enjoy that too much. However, I love my sedan. I have a Hyundai Sonata and it has a huge very accessible trunk. I do take some of my OM team kids with me but never more than three extra. I love not having the ability to cart large loads of kids around. Three extra is fine for me. I was very hesitant about buying this car since we had had station wagons with third seats for 7 years. But my dh insisted that it was what I should have now. He was right. It is zippy, has great power, and is very safe. The mileage is fairly good. What more could I ask?