Menu

s/o what's your monthly grocery budget, and how big is your family?

It's a weird thing, isn't it?

Any time the subject comes up (even on the GG forums!), I find myself feeling defensive about some of my choices (I did just buy 99 cent/lb. meat ;)) and then cringing at some other people's choices (there hasn't been a Pop Tart in my house in years ;)). If those little things can cause such strong reactions, it's no wonder there are so many confused people trying to figure out what in the world they're supposed to do!

I tend to consider myself a "to each their own" kind of person, but food and education topics hit a strange button in me. :001_huh:

I hope you grasped that I meant my comment sincerely ! These truly are individual-freedom decisions. So are clothing choices. And -- of course -- education methods and curricular choices ! ! !

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you grasped that I meant my comment sincerely ! These truly are individual-freedom decisions. So are clothing choices. And -- of course -- education methods and curricular choices ! ! !

Oh, I did! :D

It just got me thinking about how *I react to people's (including my own) choices. I don't like to be judgmental, but there are a few select things that I haven't been able to keep in check very well, and this one happens to be one I think few other people are able to control, too (either?)

Food is weird.

We spend about $1000-$1200 a month for six people. Plus, we spend another $250 for baby formula since my ds had breastfeeding problems after being in the NICU for a month. I cook 100% from scratch though. We eat very healthy, and I have noticed that almost always costs more than buying things already made or from boxes.

My dh just found out he will be losing his job of 23 years in two months. So that caused me to tally up the grocery receipts since January. Our family of 4 spent about $900 for groceries (including paper stuff) and eating out for January and so far this month it has been $540 for groceries and eating out in February.

I would love to have tips on how to get the cost down. I check the ads of two local stores and make a list for the best prices of the week for both of them, but I find it difficult to make the time to go to both stores during the week. Partly it is because we are so busy and mostly because I hate shopping! I would like to buy enough for two weeks at a time, but I can't fit it in the cart, plus I would run out of fresh veggies. It really takes time to bring that grocery bill down both in shopping and in cooking from scratch.

I'm just going to reiterate the joys of wal-mart's ad matching policy.

For me, I keep an idea of what I consider good buys. Some examples: I won't spend more than $2 for a gallon of milk or a pound of butter (and for the latter stock up when I find it for $1.50 or less/lb.). I won't pay more than 11 cents and ounce for breakfast cereal, and I won't buy breakfast cereal with more than 12 g sugar/serving (and those I usually mix with something unsweetened, like frosted flakes with plain corn flakes). I won't buy cheese for more than $4/lb., and prefer to buy it for under $3/lb. You get the idea.

Also, I don't buy things just because they're on sale, but because they're on sale AND they're healthy AND we'll actually eat them AND we need that item.

Household products and paper are one of the easiest areas to cut, imo. The only paper product we actually buy is toilet paper. We use kitchen rags and towels and cloth napkins. We cloth diapered DD and I use cloth for my female needs (together with a menstrual cup). DW#2 buys her own female stuff. Most household cleaners can be replaced with vinegar and baking soda, very cheap in bulk. I buy store brand dishwasher detergent. Tide is the only pricier item we buy, and I usually buy it on sale. We buy generic body wash, generic otc meds, etc. If you have a larger family, Costco or Sam's Club can really help because you can buy in bulk--but still price compare! I stopped shopping at Costco because while I'd save on some items, I found I'd buy other things I could have done without and spent too much.

We spend about $1000-$1200 a month for six people. Plus, we spend another $250 for baby formula since my ds had breastfeeding problems after being in the NICU for a month. I cook 100% from scratch though. We eat very healthy, and I have noticed that almost always costs more than buying things already made or from boxes.

:iagree:Yeah, scratch! Please post your pasta & bread recipes. I am always looking for these. We also eat a lot of tortillas, burritos, and quesidillas, and I don't feel mine have ever tasted as well as some prepared ones, and I have never been able to keep up with their needs. My kids love Whole Food tortillas, fi, and would like something similar from scratch. I need tried and true scratch recipes for:

bread

pita

tortillas

enchiladas

various pastas (I have an awesome pasta machine from Italy). I can't seem to make pasta in great enough quantities for my family. It takes an afternoon to make what they can eat in less than 48 hours. I just don't have the time to be making pasta much more.

Halp, share your skills!

I got the tomato sauce, soup, stew, pizza & how to stretch a home grown, organic chicken thing down. :) I can trade recipes.

Edited by LibraryLover

I need tried and true scratch recipes for:

bread

pita

tortillas

enchiladas

various pastas

I love this recipe from thefrugalgirl for braided loaves. I still haven't quite been able to achieve the same texture as a store bought loaf, but this bread is the best I've ever made. I just used some today for grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Through experimentation, though, I've found that I prefer to double the sugar called for in the recipe.

This recipe from Texas Rolling Pins for homemade tortillas always turns out great. I've tried making them thicker and thinner, and they're always good. I haven't yet tried adding whole wheat flour, but I'm sure that would be good too, although I wouldn't make them 100% whole wheat.

We spend around 450 to 500 for a family of 7 (4 adult sized eaters) includes everything cleaning paper goods,diapers etc..

The cost of living where we are is super high but it's even higher for us on the island often a 1.00 to 50. per item more then the rest of the state.

So though it sounds like a decent amount it's not so I do a LOT of from scratch cooking ,we rarely buy anything processed we make everything our own bread and grow our own food in season.