Menu

Celexa and severe nausea

My doctor put me on 20 mg of Celexa on Tuesday. I have been severely nauseated and my throat, tongue and esophagus feel numb like they've been squirted with Chloraseptic Spray. I spoke with her today and she told me to wait at least a week. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?

I don't take Celexa, but I do take Lexapro which is a close "cousin" to Celexa. I would do what the doc said and give it a week. I am not sure I understand the chloraseptic spray thing...could you be maybe getting sick? That is odd. However, people do experience different side effects to those type meds. When I start Lexapro, I can expect a good few weeks to get adjusted. I can't sleep, yawn constantly, get nauseated, etc until I can get used to it.

Okay, I'm not a doctor, but that worries ME. Is it possible you are having an allergic reaction?

I think severe nausea plus feeling like mouth/ throat is numb earns a "stop taking now and just request a different medication." That isn't like having trouble sleeping.......

I always get severe nausea fro celexa. I take it at bedtime so that by the time I wake up the nausea is pretty much gone. I never had the numbness of the tongue and throat throat though, so I can't say anything about those. That worries me as a sign of allergy, but the nausea is pretty common from what I was told when I first started it. Try taking it at bedtime and see if that helps.

No, no swelling just numbness. I've been adding a Chlorophyl Liquid (from Nature's Sunshine) to my tea and it's helping. I feel better today than I have since Tuesday, the first day I took the Celexa. Thanks for all of your responses. I'll keep everyone posted. I may try halving the pill for a while. I don't know. I've thought seriously about just weaning back off of it. I don't want to take anything and I just got a load of vitamins in. It'll be hard to know if the vitamins are working if I started the Celexa a few days before. (The numbness was there before the vitamins-the vitamins helped the numbness..above)

(I'm not mixing the mood elavator with the Celexa-just a multi vitamin, Omega 3's, Vit C, ect...)

Very dry mouth is a common side effect with these pills. Possibility you are feeling that as numbness? Also these meds can take a few weeks for your body to adjust. And during that time you may want to go off them but once you get past that point they will work for the reason they were prescribed. Sometimes the side effects come and go. I would ask before taking half a pill some can't be split.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.

Just to let you know, if you do decide to try going back to the Celexa, I had severe nausea with it for the first week, week and a half, but after that it went away, and after a couple weeks the pills worked beautifully. Completely resolved my depression and anxiety.

I'll just give you the whole story, hopefully you'll find some of it helpful. :)

I was initially placed on 20mg of Celexa once a day to treat severe anxiety, PPD, and PPOCD. I started out taking my pills in the morning, but found that I would have horrible nausea until sometime after lunch. I switched to taking them in the evening with a small snack, and that resolved the nausea to a level that I could tolerate. The nausea went away completely after a week, maybe a bit more, and after that I switched back to taking them in the morning, since I seemed to have better results that way (don't know if it was all in my mind or if it actually had an effect, but hey, whatever works). The anxiety went away first, pretty quickly actually, but the depression took a few weeks to go away.

I was given Ativan temporarily to alleviate my symptoms until the Celexa kicked in, so you could always ask your doctor about something like that, if you're finding that it's taking too long for the meds to work. Anti-depressants can take as long as two months to work, so don't give up just because they aren't working right away. If the side effects are making it hard to function, however, I'd talk to your doctor, because there are a lot of meds out there, and there might be something else that will work better for you. In my experience, I have found Celexa to be the best, because for me it gives the most benefit with the least amount of long-term side effects.

Do PM me if you want someone to talk to that's gone through all of this. I've dealt with clinical depression and borderline personality disorder for most of my life, so I've got a little experience with mental health issues.

I also had this issue with Celexa. I actually lost about 5 pounds in the month after I started on it because I completely lost my appetite. After that month I began to get back to normal eating and didn't have nausea any longer. I started on 10 mg for a week and then went to 20.

I wanted so badly to be able to take this because I do need something and the price is unbeatable at $4 a month from Walmart.

I tried it again and I just can't do it. I feel like my esophagus is closing and I'm so dreadfully sick when taking this. I had the dry heaves all night long. I called my doctor today and she is suppose to be calling me in something else. I'm in waiting now. Thanks for sharing with me ladies!