Menu

Renaissance Festivals

Anyone been to the Georgia festival, near Atlanta, or the Florida festival, in Deerfield Beach? I'm trying to find a good one for my dd's. They're both pretty much the same distance from us so either will do. If you know of another good one in GA or FL please let me know about that as well. Thanks!

The one between Tampa and Clearwater, Florida, used to be pretty nice (http://www.renaissancefest.com/ ). As I recall, this one lasted over several weekends and they had a theme for each weekend. Since they are there for longer, they are able to set up more semipermanent exhibits, like a heavy duty jousting field, and more rides.

There was also a nice one in Sarasota ( http://www.sarasotamedievalfair.com/ ) but I couldn't find their 2010 page. I believe it was only a one weekend event.

Here's a list of various ones throughout the States (http://www.renaissancemagazine.com/fairelist.html )

IME, the different festivals have varying degrees of "authenticity", if you KWIM... Some seem to focus more on buxom wenches, wizardry, and Hollywood history while others seem to do a better job of being a bit more true to the age they are trying to portray. But all the ones I have attended were fun. Some will let visitors in free or for a significant discount if you come in costume. I seem to remember that some of the various festivals have special events for local school Latin clubs, etc. So if you find one that falls within your locality and time frame, definitely get a full rundown of the schedule as they may offer some things for school kids that don't get promoted as much.

Edited by hillfarm

How old are your daughters? I was going to take my kids to the one in Deerfield a few years back when they were younger and after talking to other parents I changed my mind. However - they do have days set aside for school children so maybe the atmosphere would be better on one of those days. Sorry I can't give you any better feedback.

How old are your daughters? I was going to take my kids to the one in Deerfield a few years back when they were younger and after talking to other parents I changed my mind. However - they do have days set aside for school children so maybe the atmosphere would be better on one of those days. Sorry I can't give you any better feedback.

:iagree: I agree...the atmosphere at some of these can be bawdy. However our local one has a family day, when everybody is on better behavior.

We go to the one in ATL every year and always have a blast. DS is 4. The year he was 2 was the hardest as we sat to watch the joist. He FREAKED OUT!! Thought the men and horses were really being hurt. Of course, I am trying to get DH's attention (who is standing several rows behind us talking to a buddy:glare:) and he is oblivious to what is happening. Finally, another mom got his attention and we were able to make a run for it.

Last year, he had a blast again, but firmly informed us that he did not want to see the joist. It will interesting to see his response this year.